A question about trees

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
I would say the success of any tree anywhere, depends on the soil. If the soil is mostly sandy, you're not doing yourself any favors by choosing a tree which depends on moist, fertile ground. It would seem incongruous to the reader.

At first glance I would suggest cottonwood; but even I do not know how much sand a cottonwood can handle. So I can't stand behind my choice. The thing to do is look up all the trees mentioned so far to see what soil they require. Elevation and drainage and hardiness zone, too. Hope you report back on what you eventually arrive at.

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Thank you very much for all the last replies.

I have been busy with some non fiction writing, so the project for this short story has been delayed and I don't know when I will be able to write the story.

I thought to choice apple trees, then I read about the mesquite (from Mrs-Q) and I think that is an excellent idea! I see on Wikipedia that this tree grows up to 8 m (about 26 feet) tall, and from Google Images I see it looks pretty scary when dead. If you think a long-gone New Mexico little cemetery scattered with some mesquite trees would be plausible, then that will be my choice! Let me know.

So long,
Jonah