How do you determine what is "good" erotica & what is "bad" erotica?

DirectionWritten

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone maybe, supply an example of a paragraph from each?

Does ANYONE consider "Fifty Shades Of Grey" to be well written? Which erotica IS well written, would you say?

DW, who copied Maryn's end quote theme.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Donning my official moderator hat at a rakish angle: While members certainly can post a single paragraph of good erotica here, remember this is the public part of the board open to all, including minors. The sexual content of any such paragraph must be okay for all ages. It might also be smart not to post an excerpt from an AW member's writing without her/his permission.

In regard to bad erotica, let's not go there. Posting a writer's work as a bad example is failing to respect one's fellow writer, AW's basic tenet.

I don't know any writers who consider Fifty Shade well written, but that didn't bother plenty of buyers. I was more disturbed by the patently unsafe practices it contained, some fully capable of causing permanent damage.

Here's some erotica I thought was well written.
Several minutes crept by, both of them lying motionless. To Flynn's surprise, his own lids grew heavy and his breathing slowed despite Levi awake at his side. Rain thrumming on the roof always did that to him. He woke to a cold silent dripping and a slice of moonlight making its way between the curtains. Flynn lay on his side facing Levi, easily visible in the silver-and-chestnut dimness which brought to mind sepia photographs from the War Between the States.

Maryn, inimitable

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Fifty Shades is good erotica because it met the needs of its target audience and they greatly enjoyed it. From that perspective I do in fact consider it well written. It was written such that the target audience enjoyed it--had it been written in a more "literary" way, many of them probably would have enjoyed it less. or not at all.

IMHO, one of the common traits of erotica writers and aficionados is to respect that people like different things. Some things are broadly popular, some things have a niche audience, some things are not good examples of their type or fail to find an audience.

Given that some people think the entire genre is not only bad but evil, it is best not to consider ones own tastes, not matter how highly refined, to be a basis for making absolute judgements about quality. I love me an angry whopper and consider foie gras despicable in every basis including taste, but there is not a Michelin star chef in the country likely to agree with me on that, and it really doesn't matter. I am not their audience.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good or bad in what way? There is content I like to read and there is good writing, and every combination. The content is what makes erotica erotica, while good writing is good writing regardless of genre. I have trouble thinking of good writing that would be bad in erotica, and vice versa.

That said, to me good writing in erotica brings out the content in a way that enhances the experience in a way less skilled writing does not. Just like any good writing :)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
In regard to bad erotica, let's not go there. Posting a writer's work as a bad example is failing to respect one's fellow writer, AW's basic tenet.

I suppose it would be alright to post one's own​ bad erotica.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
While on one hand, good is a subjective beast, I think the same or at least very similar definitions of good applies to all genres. What makes any story in any genre good is the voice, story, structure, word choice etc.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pragmatic. If it sells, it's good. There are all kinds of readers, and that's especially true in erotica. Stuff that gags me will still have an audience. Stuff that delights me may have almost no readership. It's very personal and kink-specific.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I suppose it would be alright to post one's own​ bad erotica.
But... would many people come forward with what they know sucks? Unless they've already proudly cut it? Since I haven't cut my sex scenes yet, I'm still thinking they're okay... the ones I did cut, are so cringe-worthy I don't want my name on them... I kinda doubt such an endeavour would take off.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we would not post a sex scene here anyway, of course. This board is public, seen by minors.

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
So far there seems to be general agreement that the answer is relative; that is, what constitutes good vs. bad erotica is subject to taste and numerous other variables.

Perhaps we could focus the question a fraction?

What are the some techniques for crafting character and showing rather than telling, for example, that are perhaps idiosyncratic to erotic fiction, and yet easy to get wrong or difficult to get right. Now I risk running into the "it's subjective" response again - but I maybe someone has more concrete ideas?

Simone.Garick

Banned
Reaction score
Good erotica makes you horny. That's pretty much it. Erotica makes you think of things in a sexual way. The best erotica awakens latent fetishes in people, or arouses curiosiity about things they may not have seen in a sexual light.

Decent erotica caters to those who already have a fetish.

Bad erotica, is sometrhing that leaves you wanting to read something else.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Like with any genre, quality exists primarily on two axes: how skilled the prose is and how good the story and characters are.

Where it can be complicated with erotica is that I think a lot of readers are more forgiving of mediocre or not-great prose if the story or the kinks involved are really hot to them. A big part of erotica is being hot, and while good writing generally helps accomplish that, I can think of a few examples where what someone might find hot might not come across as "good" writing. Some people really like cheesy dirty talk, for example.

tommyb

Banned
Reaction score
comfortably between a rock and a hard place
I put down 50 Shades at the beginning when the lady was getting ready for work; I couldn't suspend my disbelief to make it past that (plus, the writing was atrocious).

For me-
Good- real. the lead up. foreplay.
Bad- not real. no lead up. the author obviously dislikes women. flowery talk.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't disagree with any of that, tommyb.

LoveOn.me

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LoveOn.me
If it turns you on and captivates you it is good erotica, regardless of how it is written or the language used. Some of the hottest stuff I have read used absolutely no bad (NSFW) language, not even describing body parts. Then again, I have read some erotica that would make a sailor blush, and it was HOT. If the story moves you it is good erotica!

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
If it turns you on and captivates you it is good erotica, regardless of how it is written or the language used. Some of the hottest stuff I have read used absolutely no bad (NSFW) language, not even describing body parts. Then again, I have read some erotica that would make a sailor blush, and it was HOT. If the story moves you it is good erotica!

This.

Brave Sir Robin

Registered
Reaction score
Good and bad are such relative terms, not to mention entirely subjective. Personally, I judge erotica on the same scale that I grade any mainstream book: Does it entertain me? I have eclectic reading tastes, and not just when it come to genres. Sometimes I enjoy well-developed characters. Other times I'm fascinated by the way an author used active setting to enhance the story. I love a tight, well-paced plot, but I can be persuaded to overlook that if I get lost in an author's words usage or descriptions. And sometimes the entertainment of erotic fiction is the sex. But it doesn't have to be. So for me, there isn't one thing that make erotica "good" or "bad," but just like art, I know what I like.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a piece of writing can turn you on, yet you can still acknowledge the writing as terrible.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Every time I see the user name Brave Sir Robin I have to grin. Hi!)

Melty

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I cringe to think I'm writing bad erotica... and then I get a 5 star review... I guess someone thought otherwise!

It seems most of my poor reviews are complaints that there wasn't more story. Oddly enough, I did get a really bad review once, and Amazon removed it without me saying a thing. Very odd.

Anyway, I digress. I like the sensations and feelings characters undergo to get to the result of the moment. I talk about deep sensations and nerve endings, feelings radiating through every fiber and so on. It seems kind of corny at times when writing it, but it's much better than just jumping right into the action.