Newbie with question - erotic murder mystery

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
So I've never delved into the world of erotica... well not as an author...

I have this hazy plot idea though and I wonder if it is a thing? I have an idea for an erotic murder mystery. Is that a subgenre? A big no-no? Is that a thing? Just wondering if I should pursue it or just leave it in the haze that it already is. The idea behind it is a detective that is finding victims around town. They seem to happen to everyone, men, women, every race, every walk of life. The one thing they have in common is that they are found either completely nude or at least in some sexual position or another. The perp is going to be an alien/monster (haven't completely decided yet) that kills the victims in a way that is actually pleasing... like orgasming to death. The victim doesn't feel pain because their brains are being overloaded with pleasure, but ultimately the murderer is killing them by completely consuming their life energies through sex.

Granted, there may be a book about this already that's well known, but I haven't read enough erotica to find it and like I said, I don't even know if this is a thing.

Thoughts? Is it too regular for an erotic murder mystery? Is it off? Be critical, I can take it and I have no experience in writing erotica. I mean, I don't even know if I'm posting my thread in the right area, lol. Thanks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not as well read in cross-genre erotica as I'd like to be. (Somebody please send all the books and do all the things while I read.) But I don't see this as being a problem so long as it's marketed to erotica readers. People who like a good mystery, including a steamy one, are likely to be outraged when it includes graphic sexual content.

I would assume many potential readers also read mystery, so to straddle the two genres you'd have to write a mystery as good as any other while also writing erotica as good as any other. Sounds easy, huh?

Maryn, easily daunted

chloecomplains

Pinkamena Diane Pie
Registered
Reaction score
Just like in the real world of sex, pretty much anything you can think of +erotica is a thing. Alien/monster+erotica, definitely a thing. Death by snu-snu, also a thing. Tends to get pretty dark and graphic in a less sexy way, but that's only because the most common scenario I've come across is rape-gone-wrong. If you don't want it to be that dark, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Detective/police-procedural erotic novels definitely get published - there's one on my bookshelves which was part of a specific crime erotica imprint from one of the big publishers, so more than just a narrow niche thing.

The fantasy element creates the challenge of getting three genres right, not just two, and finding if there is an audience keen on the intersect of all three. The first two series of the TV series 'Torchwood' edged into this space sometimes, but couldn't go fully into the erotic angles. I read erotica and mystery/crime separately, so I am happy to read in that cross-over (and I tolerate the mystery angles being competent rather than brilliant so long as the sex is good), but alien sex is not my thing, especially not alien snuff sex.

Having said that, I could be tempted to read if it was played with a comedic touch (nothing funnier than an string of corpses so long as they die amusingly) rather than as dark and brooding / too much sci-fi. Where do you see the reader finding their kicks in the story? I think you'd have to go to one extreme or the other - bemused detective sucked into a lethal sex romp, paranoid that every encounter he has might be with a brain-zapping, shape-shifting alien but unable to resist temptation, or full-on dystopia.

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If you're going at it from an erotica angle -- with the sexual scenes aiming to titillate -- I imagine you might run up against noncon restrictions at various publishers and platforms.

It might actually be a safer bet from more of a horror or mystery angle.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
Having said that, I could be tempted to read if it was played with a comedic touch (nothing funnier than an string of corpses so long as they die amusingly) rather than as dark and brooding / too much sci-fi. Where do you see the reader finding their kicks in the story? I think you'd have to go to one extreme or the other - bemused detective sucked into a lethal sex romp, paranoid that every encounter he has might be with a brain-zapping, shape-shifting alien but unable to resist temptation, or full-on dystopia.

That's a pretty good idea. I like adding that into the story. My detective will be full on sex-addict going on all these one night stands with new partners and as he gets closer to finding this murderer, he goes out looking for sex with woman that fit her description closer and closer, but is still paranoid that each night will be his last...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it is more likely to fall under horror erotica than murder mystery genre-wise? I have read something broadly similar that I have been trying to re-find for years, it was a romance based around mysterious deaths caused by an orgasmic blob creature assimilating people.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going at it from an erotica angle -- with the sexual scenes aiming to titillate -- I imagine you might run up against noncon restrictions at various publishers and platforms.

It might actually be a safer bet from more of a horror or mystery angle.

By noncon are you talking nonconsensual? Sorry again, I'm a definite newb to authoring erotica. My story isn't going to be rapey/dark, it's more of a murder mystery, the sexual scenes will be graphic, but all consensual (of course up to the death part...) I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the Mass Effect video game series, but they have this character type called an Ardat-Yakshi that pretty much seduces individuals and then sucks the life out of them, and the individuals become indoctrinated in a way, willing to die for this Ardat-Yakshi character. And they all do. In a way, I'm going to model my murderer after that type of an individual (though my plot idea wasn't initially influenced by this character type, it somewhat fits for the character I'm looking for), whether they take over the will of their victims or just give them that titillating pleasure until they have sucked all the life out of them, I'm not sure, but all the victims will be willing to make the initial choice to have sex with the murderer. They will not know they are going to die of course, but they will definitely be consenting to the sexual encounter.

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is more likely to fall under horror erotica than murder mystery genre-wise? I have read something broadly similar that I have been trying to re-find for years, it was a romance based around mysterious deaths caused by an orgasmic blob creature assimilating people.

The reason I was thinking murder mystery was that my main character is going to be a detective. He'll be trying to find this murderer all the while getting his kicks from women that are more and more like the murderer he is trying to find. His paranoia will play a part in it, but I definitely don't think it will be a horror because I'm trying to keep it from being too dark..

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If the erotica is not part of the crime sure, but then it seems like the sex is a tacked on elements rather than mission critical. In cross-genre erotic IMHO it is generally better when the sex is directly connected to the plot, not just part of characterization. For example, Wire in the Blood. The detective's sexuality, the killer, solving crimes, the violence, are all integrally connected. Because it was so compelling it was wildly popular in the mainstream and became a TV series despite being really rather disturbing in the depictions of sexual violence (consensual and not).

deathstar008

Registered
Reaction score
If the erotica is not part of the crime sure, but then it seems like the sex is a tacked on elements rather than mission critical. In cross-genre erotic IMHO it is generally better when the sex is directly connected to the plot, not just part of characterization. For example, Wire in the Blood. The detective's sexuality, the killer, solving crimes, the violence, are all integrally connected. Because it was so compelling it was wildly popular in the mainstream and became a TV series despite being really rather disturbing in the depictions of sexual violence (consensual and not).

Well the erotica is part of the crime, but only in the fact that they are killed by it unknowingly. Does that make sense? The sex is an important part of the book, because that's what keeps drawing the victims in. In fact, the murderer doesn't go out looking for new victims, they all approach her. Part of that is her pheromones are broadcasting on full, but they all choose to have sex with her. Once they start, it's enjoyable by both parties to the end. And I'm not sure the murderer even wants to kill, just that she doesn't stop it (may be a part of her make up sexually, like if it was another monster/alien it wouldn't kill them, but with humans it does... still rough on that area of it.) The sex is part of the characterization because of how each encounter ends, it has to be a part of her character, but I am trying to incorporate the erotica part of it into the book as a whole as well, not just the protagonist/antagonist characters.

Ultimately I am looking for pointers because I had the idea and decided to start writing it and want it to turn out well. Whether or not it ends up being published, well I'm one where being published is a bonus, not a goal (I write because it helps with my depression because I enjoy writing and because I like reading stories I have written in the past.) If this story ends up being not good enough to publish, but a good read for me, then so be it, that's fine with me. If some publisher picks it up and makes a 50 Deaths by Orgasm, that's great too (I mean, I'll never turn down money, but I also don't presume to be a best selling or even a selling at all author.. I'm a newbie, it's that simple, but I think after I write some books, get critiques, get turned down, get made fun of, get turned down more I'll get better at it.)

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, reflecting on this further, while I think you have the bones of a story here with enough plot and complexity to turn into a novel, it's not mainstream erotica. Erotica is not the same as highly sexualised content: the sex scenes in erotica need to arouse the characters and the reader, which is why most publishers will not touch material that links the sex with violence unless it (a) doesn't risk permanent harm and (b) both partners consent.

What you are describing in your story is not informed consent, unless the alien is telling its partners upfront 'hey, have sex with me, but you should know there's a chance I'll accidentally kill you'. It's also not informed consent if they're so befuddled by pheromones that they accept the risk (any more than it would be to get consent by spiking someone's drink, or interpret consent to vanilla sex as a licence to do what you like to a sexual partner). Others here have way more expertise than me in seeking out markets but it feels like a story you'll have trouble to make work/sell as erotica unless you find the niche horror market that Veinglory refers to.

Your outline feels to me like it would work way better as a paranormal crime thriller. Lots of sex is not necessarily a problem at the hardboiled end of the genre (detectives with personal problems like sex addiction are par for the course!), you just won't be able to go so explicit on the details. The upside of writing this as hardboiled paranormal crime would be that you only have to hit the right notes for two genres, not three.

But, hey, take this with a grain of salt: like I said, the alien angle and the dark angle are not my things so others may be more inclined than me to read something like this. If you think you can write this in a way that the alien death sex aspect turns you and others on - despite the consequences - then have a go. One way might be to make the detective's experiences the erotic part of the story, and not try to make the alien sex titillating (hence my previous thought that that aspect of the story might work as high farce, which can be sexy but isn't usually erotic). You won't know until you try, and if the story's formed in your mind, get it down on paper: if worst comes to worst, it's all good writing practice!

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
The concept is sellable, because this is pretty much the concept of an early Torchwood episode. But while Torchwood was sold as "Doctor Who for grown-ups", it was still horror/science fantasy that happened to have a strong erotic thread, rather than the other way around. You'll have to look carefully at what genre you're marketing to, and you may find that if you're marketing as erotica it will need to be marketed to a specific niche.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I have this hazy plot idea though and I wonder if it is a thing? I have an idea for an erotic murder mystery. Is that a subgenre? A big no-no? Is that a thing?

It sounds like you are seeking permission to write this story. Of course, you should write it. Flush those fantasies out of your mind and get them down on paper (or disk). The fact that it straddles genres is meaningless. The story may find its own emphasis as you write.