Women of The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbrian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-writing my first western. The thing is, how do I write as if I were Jenny Lee; her point of view? I'm not a woman. The same old story line of which she is raped by the men who kill her husband. Who in turn, becomes an outlaw. I'm not going for extensive detail about the rape. I am applying to "PG"-rated western action and dialogue think back to the 1970s Westerns. Any suggestions? Also should it start with action first or slow build up?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm re-writing my first western. The thing is, how do I write as if I were Jenny Lee; her point of view? I'm not a woman. The same old story line of which she is raped by the men who kill her husband. Who in turn, becomes an outlaw. I'm not going for extensive detail about the rape. I am applying to "PG"-rated western action and dialogue think back to the 1970s Westerns. Any suggestions? Also should it start with action first or slow build up?

You don't have to think as 'a woman'. Women are people. You're a person. Think as a person.

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
Write with heightened feelings, simmering feelings such as grudges, yearnings, and resentments; write a character who is more-than-usually sensitive to smells and tactile sensations, (e.g. the way clothes feel against skin). A woman might typically harbor over-concern for what others think; over-worry about how much things cost; anxiety over cleanliness (most women are intent on everything around them being clean).
Write a woman as a character who would delight at cute or quaint or clever things; someone who is irritated easily at dullness or repetition or drudgery or routine...irked at having no one to listen to her thoughts or complaints...hatred of silence..

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Write with heightened feelings, simmering feelings such as grudges, yearnings, and resentments; write a character who is more-than-usually sensitive to smells and tactile sensations, (e.g. the way clothes feel against skin). A woman might typically harbor over-concern for what others think; over-worry about how much things cost; anxiety over cleanliness (most women are intent on everything around them being clean).
Write a woman as a character who would delight at cute or quaint or clever things; someone who is irritated easily at dullness or repetition or drudgery or routine...irked at having no one to listen to her thoughts or complaints...hatred of silence..

Also have them crocheting doilies, because women are always doing that stuff. And standing on chairs shrieking about mice. Amirite?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Also have them crocheting doilies, because women are always doing that stuff. And standing on chairs shrieking about mice. Amirite?

Don't forget swooning. Us lady-folk are always swooning.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Bless your heart.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

We also gossip. Can't forget that. And we're always happiest in the kitchen, usually baking something.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can this be my thread to take home, please? This is the best thread I ever saw. This is absolutely post-Trumpian in all its terrible glory :roll:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
We also gossip. Can't forget that. And we're always happiest in the kitchen, usually baking something.

And our wombs basically ache. Constantly. At least until we've popped out a few babies. I know mine does at this very moment.

Wait. I don't have a womb. It must be gas.

Never mind.

:mothership:

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I sprayed tea out my nose. That's not as elegant as it sounds.

But if anything that was suggested gives the OP a thought to work with, well and good.

Also should it start with action first or slow build up?
If it's an action-driven story, I'd kick off with action. If it's a character piece I'd go with a slower build-up -- but don't delay the action toooo long. Also depends which '70s Westerns you're thinking of, you might want to take a look at their pacing and emulate them.

-Derek

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
And better not have them driving wagons. Of course they can clean them.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And better not have them driving wagons. Of course they can clean them.

And milk cows and feed chickens.

But no matter how depressed she is about being raped and having her spouse killed, she'll cheer up if someone takes her shopping. Women all love shopping, right?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, that's hats. Women love hats. Shopping is just something they do through instinct.

Oh, right, because we evolved to be gatherers. Harvesting nuts, roots, and berries is just like rommaging through sales racks. So mindless it doesn't distract us from holding our farts in.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
And our wombs basically ache. Constantly. At least until we've popped out a few babies. I know mine does at this very moment.

Wait. I don't have a womb.

That's exactly why mine hurts, actually.

It can't be gas, because women don't fart.

No pooping either.

Our assholes are made purely for naughty exceptions that preserve our virginal purity for marriage.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

Hey, none of that describes me at all. Holy shit, I must not be a woman!

Thank god a man finally showed me the light in this. I'll have to break the news to my husband. Hopefully he'll be okay with admitting he's gay so we can stay married.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com

I really enjoyed A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains for a contemporary perspective on western life.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Write with heightened feelings, simmering feelings such as grudges, yearnings, and resentments; write a character who is more-than-usually sensitive to smells and tactile sensations, (e.g. the way clothes feel against skin). A woman might typically harbor over-concern for what others think; over-worry about how much things cost; anxiety over cleanliness (most women are intent on everything around them being clean). Write a woman as a character who would delight at cute or quaint or clever things; someone who is irritated easily at dullness or repetition or drudgery or routine...irked at having no one to listen to her thoughts or complaints...hatred of silence..
Yes, incessant yammering -- but also giggling, like 'tee hee,' preferably while blushing and waving skirts about. They're also very easily offended, and don't use bad or crude words, because their constitution is more delicate and such. They get overwhelmed very easily, so have a fainting couch nearby, in case an a man says something shocking, or the woman sees something untoward.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to think as 'a woman'. Women are people. You're a person. Think as a person.
You radical, you! Everyone knows women are mysterious creatures. Inexplicable. Riddles wrapped in enigmas. I can't even make sense of myself, but everyone tells me that's part of my charm. *adds eyelash batting emoticon*

Last edited:

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
Fiction is a heightened form of realism. It's still true to life, more often than not.

No girl I've ever met; ever wanted to deal with cockroaches or mice in their apartment. Spiders, centipedes..nope. Instead they would call me up and get me to come over to kill them. Nothing unusual or exaggerated about this observation. And yep, I also have several female friends who knit or sew; (none of my guy friends do). None of my guy friends go to nail salons, or get Brazilian waxings; none of my guy friends spend money on cosmetics, expensive shoes, or handbags...

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and we all think all men are idiots. We arch our eyebrows a lot. Especially when men do things that make no sense. Which is all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.