• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] My Trending Stories

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. :) It's possible I should have put this thread in the Blogging section, I'm not sure.

I just received an email from mytrendingstories.comhttps://mytrendingstories.com asking if I'd be interested in contributing (they found my blog, linked to it in the email to me). Seems like they're a new website, maybe looking to be a HuffPo geared towards writers.

Does anyone know anything about them? Have experience with them? Legit or not? It bothers me that there's no specific person's/editor's name at the bottom of the email, just the "Trending Stories Team," though they invited me to email them back with questions or interest.

I generally consider myself to have a pretty good bs detector, and I can't tell.

In the scheme of blogs and bloggers, I'm a fry in the ocean, but in the past I have been tapped before to guest post on bigger platforms.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
What are they paying?

No mention of payment in the letter, which makes sense, so to speak, if they're looking at a HuffPo type of thing.

Not having a specific person's name at the bottom of the letter made me suspicious, and then not being able to find editor names on the website makes me very, very wary. Tracked the domain name and it's registered as private (no owner name), which led to a phone #/address in AZ which has suggestions of fraud/scam. This may or may not be an actual scam, but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to things like this, and would prefer not to be involved if there're questions re legitimacy.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Their categories (which cover pretty much every topic under the sun) are very reminiscent of Huffpost, right down to their "voices" category. Most of what they've posted has been republished from blogs. The writing is very uneven and has clearly not been edited.

Bottom line: I doubt it's a "scam," but I can't see any advantage to being published there. It probably wouldn't hurt you (much), but unless they're paying you a decent sum for your work, I would pass. Might be worth keeping an eye on in the future, though.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that also, re their "Voices" categories.

At this point, I can't see their readership is larger than mine, which would be what would tempt me, if I was going to be tempted. I've worked for the followers I have, the number may not be large, but I definitely don't want to lose any because of association with anything questionable.

Thanks for checking it out and your thoughts, Claire!

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Poking around on the site, the content seems of varied quality, which suggests to me they don't seem to edit or anything. They just sort of gather articles about various things?

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
I just got an email from these people which begins "Thank you for emailing us!"

Needless to say, I've never emailed them, or even visited their site.

It's going straight to the spam file.