Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Hello to all who wish to state (and track, and be held accountable for) their goals (writing or writing-related or just goals, damn it) for the month of July. All are welcome, Campers and non-Campers alike!

I'm doing the July Camp with a bunch of other AWers, and my goal for Camp is to finish the rough draft of my WIP (Book 3 of my fantasy series). So close now I can taste it. I've given myself a 10k word goal, although I think I'll be able to finish it in less than that. I'll make up the difference in editing, so I've gotta figure out a way to count words both added and subtracted. So the July goals are:

1) Finish rough draft of WIP - 0 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books
3) Take three nature walks
4) Write a short story
5) Outline next book in series

And you?

Last edited:

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I'm Camping with a cabin of friends! My goal's 25k, split between a few different projects... One of which is the novel I wrote 30k of back in November :)

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I need to finish Book 2 in my trilogy this month. Currently, I have about 25,000 words that I'm happy with ... a jumble of 35,000 other words that I'm not happy with ... and some random assorted scene outlines.

I'm really hoping the fear and adrenaline makes this happen this month.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm sitting out cabins this time, so I'll just hang out here :)

July Goals:

• Hit camp NaNo target
  • Organize my office
  • Read July book for Book Club
Constant Goals:

• Continue to work on getting writing-related tasks in earlier in the day
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times
  • Catch up on Marvel shows (Daredevil S2, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD)
  • Keep writing streak going (6/12 months so far)

Yeah, that works.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got to work uninterrupted through the better part of the day yesterday. Today we're headed to the beach (8 hours in the car - bleah) so I'm not sure if I'll be writing or not. My main job on long drives is to navigate and keep my husband alert and entertained at the wheel, which usually means reading to him or playing word games and such. Maybe the niece can do some of that.

Once I knocked off writing for the day I roared through Pratchett's Feet of Clay from the Discworld series. So that's a notch in the ol' goals belt. I've got Larson's Dead Wake and the next Discworld book in my Kindle for the beach; I already started Hogfather, though, so I'm thinkin' I may need another book. Or two.

Oh, and I added another goal - treated myself to Jeff VanderMeer's Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction and am bringing that, along with a blank notebook, to the beach as well. I'm going to dive into it and see what happens.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP - 728 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books - 1 of 3
3) Take three nature walks
4) Write a short story
6) Do some Wonderbook exercises

Last edited:

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
It's my first Camp Nano, and I'm very excited about that.

Goals:
1) Write 24,000 words of my new WIP - 5,341 words done so far, but I'm going to hit a wall soon-ish (as in, right now)
2) Go for walks; I'm totally plagiarising Mrs Mig there
3) Organise a long week-end somewhere to fight off cabin fever (and if I can use it for some research for my book, that's even better)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I am not camping (though I will literally be camping in a couple of months!).

I do have goals, though I flailed and couldn't figure out what they would be for ages, then flailed and couldn't get into doing anything yesterday. I settled. Hopefully I'll manage more easily for the rest of the month.

1. Read five books. - one day I will make this goal again. I will never attain my reading heights of old, but, dammit, I will read more.
2. Edit/fix three stories. - not necessarily to a final polish, but at least a substantial amount.
3. Catch up on reading short stories. - a million tabs open in a million places with stories plunked on my to read list. Probably massively slowing my computer down >>
4. Write Ilana. - just something fresh so I'm not only editing.
5. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day.

I'd make non-writing goals, but I am never in danger of not playing video games or anything :p

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not getting as much accomplished at the beach as I'd hoped - family and beach are a big distraction. But they're nice distractions. I also accidentally shut my laptop on an earbud, which has damaged the lower part of the screen (arrrrr). Not enough to keep me from writing, but also a distraction. On the other hand, I finished reading another book, started work on the Wonderbook exercises and have gotten a fair amount of nature walking done - so progress on other fronts.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP - 798 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books - 2 of 3
3) Take three nature walks - 2 of 3
4) Write a short story

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hello all! I haven't been around in a hundred years... but I seem to have started writing again for reals. I have set some goals for this month.

1. Finish the first draft of my gothic romance
2. Read 4 novels
3. Review all 4 novels on the blog
4. Journal every day
5. Concurently with CampNaNo, which I'm not signed up on the site, I'm just writing - but I'm doing 100 days of Productivity. I hope to write every day but regardless of what I do, the goal is to do something PRODUCTIVE every day. Sometimes, this might just be writing notes or reviewing manuscripts that need to be edited. I promised myself I didn't have to keep to 1 project during this 100 days.

Sorry, that was long. But those are the goals!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have not been making the hoped-for progress on the WIP during this vacation - too many distractions (including cracking my laptop screen, frying my cell phone by dropping it in water and arguing with my agent about two offers for my fantasy series). I finally wrote a bit today and started Erik Larson's Dead Wake, so again, progress of a sort. And I did a four-mile beach walk the other day and observed the tracks of a Loggerhead Turtle which had crawled up the beach, laid its eggs and returned to the ocean. Had a nice chat with the volunteers who were securing the nest. There are two nests we've visited every dusk since arriving in the hopes that they'll hatch while we're watching (both are about ready to pop, according to the volunteers), but so far no dice. We leave Saturday, so we're hoping one of the nests will erupt tomorrow.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP - 1226 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books - 2 of 3
3) Take three nature walks - 3 of 3 DONE
4) Write a short story

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
so is this where we post daily cuz I haven't seen much of that?

but I'm so glad, despite the obstacles in my way, like sleeping, and sadness, and not really sure where this scene was going and having to wordsprint all alone I got 1500 words

I'll take it
now I"m gonna go youtube

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
OK, that nano cabin? It's the bee's knees.

It's my first Camp Nano, and I'm very excited about that.

Goals:
1) Write 24,000 words of my new WIP - 15,865 words. :e2bounceyI'll up my goal after I've reached it.
2) Go for walks; I'm totally plagiarising Mrs Mig there Yes, at least every other day, roughly for two hours each time.
3) Organise a long week-end somewhere to fight off cabin fever (and if I can use it for some research for my book, that's even better) Oh right, that's trickier, but I'd quite like to go to the Lake District where my book takes place. It's just the practicalities of getting there + cost combo that gets me.

Well done on the 1500 words, bettielee. That's a rather hefty amount.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Progress update!

July Goals:

• Hit camp NaNo target (Have been succeeding so far, but I think I need to change it. Reality is intruding.)
  • Organize my office (... I really should put a note somewhere to reminds me I set this goal.)
  • Read July book for Book Club (Almost done!)

Not too bad, except for completely forgetting the office goal :)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
so is this where we post daily cuz I haven't seen much of that?

Some people post daily, some every few days, some weekly. Some of us skulk back in halfway through the month and sheepishly reveal we have done nothing :p

I read Binti, which is a shortish novella, but as I count children's books as whole books, it gets half a point :p Did a bunch of short story reading, but have already fallen behind again.

Editing-wise, I've made progress on one story, just need to let it sit and get some feedback. Did some more drabbles too. At the moment I'm writing on work days - I do it in my breaks - and editing on non work days.

I'm also playing far too many games.

1. Read five books. 0.5/5
2. Edit/fix three stories. 0/3
3. Catch up on reading short stories. Not yet.
4. Write Ilana. Done some :)
5. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day. So far so good

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
:) haha... well I'm skulking in to say today is a fail. I've been struggling with a wrcked up sleep schedule. I was just too exhausted today. I got 2 hours of sleep last night, so I came home and went to bed. Now I'm up, but I am in no way going to write tonight. That's two days this week. :(

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm gonna join this thread.

My goal for the month is mostly just actually win at Camp Nano. I'm a little behind, but I am on track to catch back up.

1) Complete Camp at 15,000 words. Currently at 2452

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
tjwriter, you're about where I am with Camp, although my goal is a bit smaller. Travel, visits from family and Real Life Interference got in my way, but like you, I'm getting my groove back. Upside: we still have three weeks!

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update:

• Hit camp NaNo target (Gave into reality, and shifted my goal, but have been meeting the new target.)
  • Organize my office (... forgot. Again.)
  • Read July book for Book Club (Done!)

So, not bad so far.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Making much better progress now that I'm back at home at the tide of house guests is (almost) over. I have one more overnight visit Sunday and then I'm sorta-kinda back to normal. Better than halfway to my Camp goal of 10k words, with the end of the WIP in sight. Nixed one of the two offers on the fantasy series (in spite of an advance and a good percentage of royalties, there were a couple of clauses that made me and my agent uncomfortable, so we let it go). Contract for Books 1 and 2 from second publisher under consideration, but it's the fact that I may actually finish the rough draft of Book 3 that's really making me excited!

I finished Erik Larson's Dead Wake, so that completes my reading goal for the month. I also set a numerical goal for the Wonderbook project - I'm about a fifth of the way through it and while it's a pretty book, I'm finding the exercises few and far between and often a little too basic for me.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP -
5823 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books - 3 of 3 DONE
4) Write a short story
6) Do some Wonderbook exercises -
2 of 5

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I read P&P to kickstart my reading again since I fell into a rut, and it worked... until I got sick (again). I tricked my brain the other day on the train by pulling out my book (well, surface) before it had a chance to groan and decide reading was too much effort :p So I've finished Slow Bullets, which is technically a novella, but is long enough for a full point. It was flawed, but it also lingered in my head and made me want to check if there was more in the world, so I count it as a success. I fell behind on the little short story catchup I'd managed.

Did some more drabbles. I'm not worried about short stories goal being 0/3 atm because I'm halfway through all three.

My storage hard drive died and I cursed the skies, but it did stop my playing games for a bit. Now I have a new hard drive and all my games are reinstalled and I'm not thinking about the stuff I lost because then I will get sad :p

1. Read five books. 2.5/5
2. Edit/fix three stories. 0/3
3. Catch up on reading short stories. Not yet.
4. Write Ilana. Done lots :)
5. Min 500 words OR 2 pages edited per day. So far so good

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update:

• Hit camp NaNo target (On track with the new goal.)
  • Organize my office (Progress! Sort of. Bought a new shredder and started going through the pile that's been building up all year.)
  • Read July book for Book Club (Done!)

I'm hoping to get more done this weekend, though I never seem to get through as much as I want :tongue

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heading into the final week of July! Go go go Campers and non-Campers alike!

Due to my RL schedule, work on the WIP has gone in fits and starts, but I'm a bit over 1k short of my 10k Camp goal and very likely to actually finish this draft! (Habitues of this thread and its brethren know this goal has been ongoing for more than a year, so that's saying something.) Don't know if I'll get the short story or outline done, and the Wonderbook stuff is a low priority at present, but for the first time in months there's a 50-50 chance I might make all my goals! I've actually exceeded my reading goal - I've read 5 books this month.

1) Finish rough draft of WIP -
8907 of 10,000 words
2) Read three books - 5 of 3 DONE
4) Write a short story
6) Do some Wonderbook exercises -
2 of 5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.