Graphic Novel Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping someone with a bit of upto date knowledge might be able to shed some light on this. I have a OGN pitch out to publishers (mainly to named editors- one of whom gave his direct email). I know these are notoriously busy people at certain times of the year because of various comic cons etc. My art was provided by a pro who works in the comic industry (I don't know how much weight that carries, but my savvy mind says "if I am serious, invest properly"). The question is how long is too long to wait for a response?

Any imput welcome.

Thank you.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I give it a month or two, then, if I still haven't heard back, I just proceed as if the answer is "no". Unfortunately not everyone will be courteous enough to respond with an outright rejection. If you do get an answer it will probably be relatively quick, in either case. If you have no luck with anyone, getting an agent can bump you up to a higher level of publisher (the kind that only deal with agents basically). This can expand the playing field a bit. Of course I'm going by the American model. Things may work differently in the UK or Europe.

Last edited:

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Suggestion -- in a couple of months, if there's no answer, look at your local conventions and see what publishers are going to have reps where. Have samples of your work, with all the trimmings, ready to go. Also be aware that almost all comic publishers do not take unsolicited submissions, whether or not you have a pro attached. If you were solicited by an editor who gave you his info, great. If you weren't, they're going to File 13 your work in all likelyhood.

Some groups have open submission periods, same as any other other, but they're far more likely to run "contests" featuring established properties to hunt for new talent.

If you feel very strongly about your project, self-pubbing to get started is very common; find some contacts in the indie scene and see what you can do there.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much MOC. I had a talk with the artist, he says currently it's been taking a few months according to his personal experience, so I will sit tight for a while. Much appreciation for your insight.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Eltondiva,
don't hesitate to send a followup mail after a month or two, just to see if they received well your submission.
Also, be sure to read well the instructions about submission, you can find it on their websites, because some publishers don't accept unsolicited submissions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.