• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wolf & Raven Publishing

lisawrites

Registered
Reaction score
I would also like to know. They liked one of my pitches, but when I went to their website, they have no authors or anything. I'm debating whether to submit to them or not. I'm not opposed to indie publishing, and I know companies have to start somewhere, but I'm not sure.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Still poking about, but I found their FB page and this caught my eye. It's dated May 1st: "The submission window is now open. If you have a YA, NA, Adult novel of 20,000 to 130,000 words in the genres Sci-Fi/Fantasy (and all subgenres), Historical Fiction/Alternate History, or Horror...." Isn't 20k words a little short to be considered a novel? I admit to being a complete and total dinosaur, one who's fairly unfamiliar with e-pubs, but 20K? https://www.facebook.com/wolfravenpublishing/?pnref=lhc

lisawrites

Registered
Reaction score
Still poking about, but I found their FB page and this caught my eye. It's dated May 1st: "The submission window is now open. If you have a YA, NA, Adult novel of 20,000 to 130,000 words in the genres Sci-Fi/Fantasy (and all subgenres), Historical Fiction/Alternate History, or Horror...." Isn't 20k words a little short to be considered a novel? I admit to being a complete and total dinosaur, one who's fairly unfamiliar with e-pubs, but 20K? https://www.facebook.com/wolfravenpublishing/?pnref=lhc

Yeah, I think 20k still passes for a novella. I always assumed 50k+ was novel length. Maybe they accept novellas too? But then I'd think they would say that.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Still poking. Their domain name registration comes back to a Dawn Price who isn't listed under the "Who We Are" on their webpage, though a Amara Nicole Price is. The registrant address comes back to what appears to be a home in Bethel, Ohio and I'm unable to locate an Ohio business by that name (searching "Wolf and Raven", "Wolf & Raven", "WolfandRaven", "Wolf&Raven", etc.). That's assuming, of course, that they are licensed to do business in the same state as the domain registrant. No other physical location info is available on their website (or I missed it. Totally possible after a long day at work.) Also, they list an "independent editor we like". Clicking the link for said editor, takes you to their FB page where their fees are listed as:
"UNDER 100K- £250 (GBP OR GBP EQUIVALENT)
OVER 100K- £300 (GBP OR GBP EQUIVALENT)
AN UPFRONT PAYMENT OF 50% IS EXPECTED IN FULL BEFORE EDITING BEGINS AND AFTER THE SIGNING OF AN NDA AGREEMENT PROTECTING THE AUTHOR'S WORK. (Should you as the author want one of course) THE REMAINING 50% OF THE EDITING FEE SHOULD BE PAID IN FULL BEFORE RECEIVING THE FINAL CHAPTER EDIT VIA EMAIL." (caps in the original)

Continuing the poke-age.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hmm. That smells a little like a conflict of interest to me. They are too new, and have too little proven info about themselves, to interest me. I'll check back with them in a couple of years.

It's worth saying in general about the small new presses in the SFF/Romance genre: they are smack between the Big Five and the larger independents, and the sea of the self-published. If the small presses cannot offer the same level (or better!) editing, cover design, and marketing that the big guns can....what earthly reason does an author have to pick them over self-publishing?

Publishers have to earn their cut of sales. Too many of these new ones probably never will.

argossol

Registered
Reaction score
A bit late to the party, but this publisher is shuttered from what I can tell. Received a full MS request last month, this month their web presence has completely vanished - social media, website, etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A bit late to the party, but this publisher is shuttered from what I can tell. Received a full MS request last month, this month their web presence has completely vanished - social media, website, etc.

Did you send it to them?

argossol

Registered
Reaction score
The first ten pages, yes. I was a bit excited anyone had wanted to see any of the novel, but a bit of research made me scrub the follow-up.

argossol

Registered
Reaction score
Shortly after that, I received a full request from another small publisher - Curiosity Quills. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited: