• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Red Empress Publishing

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Couldn't find a thread for them. Mods, please move, if there is one?

Link:http://redempresspublishing.com/en/about/

A dearth of useful information, a lot of the usual promises, apparently very new house. Some good covers. I haven't read published samples yet.

It's #PitMad time, so expect to see a lot of tiny new publishers and agencies favoriting and retweeting author pitches. Standard procedures apply: see performance of existing books, dig up info on founders, wait at least two years unless there are extraordinary circumstances.

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
They've been flooding the #MSWL hashtag lately.

WightCrow

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on them? They just liked one of my twitter pitches and I'm having trouble finding much on them. Their site is...not super encouraging.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A website geared toward writers rather than readers, no listing of staff or their qualifications, so-so covers.

I choose two of their books at random and had a look at them on Amazon using the "Look Inside" feature. One begins with a marketplace scene in which two characters repeatedly worry about being "ripped off" by the vendors even though the book is set in the Victorian era. The other, clearly inspired by Memoirs of a Geisha, begins with a fairly graphic sex scene in which the protagonist's has her hand slapped "bruskly" and describes her private parts as "dry as an old sun-weathered canvas with terror." So clearly, there's not much editorial oversight with this press.

I'd proceed with caution, if at all.