Light books to read?

Sweet Escape

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I have been going through a tough time, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for more lighter book reads?

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome, Sweet Escape! :) I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time.

I would love to give you some recs, but it could help if you could give us a bit more info.

What kinds of genres or books do you like to read? Do you want adult books, MG, YA? Anything old or recent?

Any subjects you don't want to read about, (since you mention going through a time, so I assume there mayb topic you may not want to read)?

I read some Romances, like anything by Nora Roberts, and some Christian Romances by Rachel Hauk, and some light cozy murder mysteries, like "Death on Eat Street" or "Fry Another Day" by J.J. Cook, etc.

ETA: My tastes may not match your own, so it would help if we knew what kinds of stories you would like, so we can give more suitable recommendations. :)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you like fantasy, you can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. You don't have to read the books in order, they're usually around 90k words, the voice is wry and the characters endearing. And they're not cotton candy reads, either. There's substance beneath the humor.

Sweet Escape

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you are right! How could I forget what kind of books I usually like to read, how else can people help? :)

The most I read is fantasy, contemporary YA and also Adult, dystonia, historical books. I have also read some sci-fi and a few detective books.

I don't read much of romance because for me, my interest is in books that has more than just romance. I prefer books with female protagonists and books written in third person. I do not like to read horror and no murder mysteries for me.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Throwing some random suggestions out here:

Thirding Pratchett, though he often has tooth beneath the amusing veneer. (If there are topics you don't want to go near, in other words, pick your title carefully.)

Carl Hiaasen writes some fun stuff.

If you just want fun, try Matt Youngmark's Choose-o-matic books, which are fun CYOA-type adventures - I howled through the many paths of his Time Travel Dinosaur.

Jim C. Hines's Jig the Dragonslayer trilogy (first book: Goblin Quest) is a fun send-up of fantasy tropes, starring a cowardly goblin forced to act as guide to a pack of pompous adventurers.

Have you tried Scott Meyer's Off to Be the Wizard? A modern programmer stumbles across the data file that controls reality, and winds up hiding out in medieval England playing wizard alongside other programmers who found the same file and messed up with their new powers. It reads like Douglas Adams Lite, and you don't need to be a computer geek to find it amusing.

Eoin Colfer's books are often fun, too, particularly his Artemis Fowl series. I also liked The Wish List, about a teenage ghost helping an elderly man fulfill his bucket list.

Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, first in a series, an absolute kick to read, poking fun at modern YA fantasy tropes. An orphan boy with an extraordinary talent for breaking things learns that an evil consortium of librarians has been suppressing the truth about the world - for instance, there are a few continents that have been conveniently omitted from maps, dinosaurs are still alive (and far less impressive than advertised), and forces akin to magic are very much real. (Written first-person, though, IIRC, if that POV's a dealbreaker.)

I also rather enjoyed Elizabeth Kay's The Divide, about a modern boy with a heart condition who manages to fall into a world where magic is real and humans are myths. Somewhat silly trappings, but a solid storyline underneath, and a reasonably fast read.

For a lighter-toned historical, Audrey Couloumbis's The Misadventures of Maude March sends two orphaned girls across the Western frontier and into trouble, guided by the younger sister's obsession with dimer adventure rags. (Also first-person POV, though.)

L. A. Meyer's Bloody Jack series follow an 18th-century London schoolgirl who escapes death on London's streets by posing as a ship's boy... the beginning of a life of grand adventure. (Also first-person POV, but fast-paced and never dull.)

If you're exceptionally bored, click through the link in my signature, though I don't usually bother reporting the POV in a book unless something about it really stands out. (Just read the Descriptions if you don't want my opinions - I try to keep the first bits as neutral and spoiler-free as I can.)

redfalcon

Registered
Reaction score
John Scalzi- Red Shirts, Fuzzy Nation

Chuck Wendig- Blue Blazes, Atlanta Burns, Black Birds

Cat Rambo- Beasts of Tabat

Weston Ochse- Velvet Dogma

Simon R Green- Nightside series

+1 on Disc World

Iambriannak

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I need a light read, I always turn to Holes by Louis Sachar.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede are excellent, light YA fantasy fare. It's one of my comfort reads when I need a feelgood story to cheer myself up. Same with DRAGONSINGER and DRAGONSONG by Anne McCaffrey.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I read The Room by Swedish author Jonas Karlsson. It's short, almost like a novella, and definitely on the lighter side in tone. No heavy topics.

It's hard to describe what genre it is because it's a little weird. Somewhat surreal. The entire story takes place in a nondescript government office. The MC finds a room that no one else sees, and that causes conflict when his coworkers start to notice his bizarre behavior. The book has a Dilbert-ish kind of vibe - not so much for the humor but more for the absurdist aspect of surviving in a modern, homogeneous office.

I like it because the story felt so different from most books out there. It was refreshing.

Professor Yaffle

Registered
Reaction score
Joan Aiken wrote lovely alternative history children's books. You might also like Diana Wynne Jones. Again more for children, but so well written, her books are about magical worlds. Eva Ibbotson is a good read also. All have good strong female characters.

Another Pratchett fan here too.

I do tend to turn to Georgette Heyer in times of trouble, but since she mostly wrote regency romance, I can't think that would be your cup of tea!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Cold Comfort Farm. I love it.

The Farmer

Registered
Reaction score
Not your normal genre, but Ellen Stimson would make you laugh. Think Erma Bombeck in the 21st century. Ellen lived in the Midwest until her husband and she decided to move to the northeast where they bought a house in the country and a store in town. Her books are written similar to Erma's but focused on her own culture shock. "Mud Season" was her first (I think).

I hope you feel better soon!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you are right! How could I forget what kind of books I usually like to read, how else can people help? :)

The most I read is fantasy, contemporary YA and also Adult, dystonia, historical books. I have also read some sci-fi and a few detective books.

I don't read much of romance because for me, my interest is in books that has more than just romance. I prefer books with female protagonists and books written in third person. I do not like to read horror and no murder mysteries for me.
Welcome to AW!
I second (third, however many it takes :)) the recommendation for Terry Pratchett. If you want a female protagonist, the YA "Tiffany Aching" sub-series is the best place to start: The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight, and The Shepherd's Crown. I cannot say enough good things about these books.

P.G. Wodehouse - anything and everything.
Dodie Smith's "I Capture the Castle" - not fantasy, but female protag and funny
Ditto Stella Gibbons' "Cold Comfort Farm"
A. A. Milne wrote a VERY funny comedy fairytale (featuring a delightful young girl) called "Once On a Time" ($2 on Kindle!)
M. M. Kaye's "The Ordinary Princess" is also amusing

Thorne Smith - I might avoid "The Stray Lamb", there's a fairly long depressing section in the middle, but his books are laugh out loud funny, particularly "Topper" and "The Night Life of the Gods". They're from the 1920s, and they are full of the casual sexism of the era, so if that's a trigger you might want to pass.

ETA: +1 to the Eva Ibbottson recommendation! Watch, though, she wrote at least three categories of books - middle grade humorous fantasy, which is what I would prescribe for you now; YA romances; and straight historical fiction. They're all good, she was a great writer.

Going a little further afield from your original brief, these authors also always make me laugh:
Christopher Moore - frequent fantastic elements, and often somewhat raunchy humor (depending on the series)
A. Lee Martinez - ditto
Richard Armour

Last edited:

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
I know somebody already recommended Douglas Adams, but I read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" recently and I really enjoyed it. I've been having the same problem, I need a break from the really dark stuff I usually read.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend reading short stories. You can buy collections too!

They're shorter and thus easier to digest in one sitting.

Just my two cents!