Finding a publisher for multi-author short story collection

SarahRoss

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the beginning stages of compiling a short story anthology written entirely by autistic authors about themes relevant to disability politics. My co-editor is a very respected figure in disability rights circles; he was even appointed to a position by President Obama. (Alas, neither of us is well-connected with publishing.) We have five confirmed stories so far, though I want to solicit more once I actually have a way to confirm payment for writers.

But so far querying agents has been a pretty slow going. One agent looked at it and thinks the genres of the stories are too disparate. Another agent liked my pitch during DVPit, but said the collection is too heavy on SFF for her to represent well. I've submitted to a few small publishers and some other agents, with one rejection so far and radio silence. I realize that these things take time, but I want to continue strategizing in the meantime. I'm thinking of changing the anthology to be all SFF for marketability purposes, and since a majority of the stories are SFF anyway.

But while that opens up some options, there's still the matter of finding a publisher. My sense is that a lot of agents just aren't interested in representing this project because short story collections are a hard sell and they prefer to work with single authors. I get that. So should I just target small presses and publishers that take open submissions?

If anyone has experience with this kind of project, I'd love to hear about it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to just take it on by yourself. Pay $10 or $20 and a free copy for each accepted story (with the rights bought spelled out in a contract). Then put it together the way that works best, considering what stories you're offered. Finally, once it's all done, either try for an agent or small press then, or just self-publish it, for ex. on Createspace (print on demand) and Kindle (and/or other ebooks).

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's a very limited and poor market for short story collections. It's usual to work with a publisher on a collection, and to have a very clear idea of the genres you'll accept before you put out your call for submissions. Also, if you don't have a publisher yet it's hard to be sure that you've written your terms and conditions of entry in a way which will allow publication of this book. Have you specified territories, formats, and period of exclusivity? If not, you might well find that some of the authors who have submitted and had their work accepted for publication are going to withdraw their work when you ask them to sign their contracts.

I am not surprised you are struggling to find an agent to represent this book, as there's so little money in it it's not going to be something they could reasonably help you with.

My advice is to self-publish it. You'll have to fund the jacket design, typesetting, formatting etc., but it will mean that the book will at least be available for those who want to buy it.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I don't have experience with shopping an anthology, but I know an editor who does. You may have better luck with small presses, as opposed to trying to find an agent.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of this and I had a few suggestions before you said it was SFF. I just don't know enough about SFF publishing. I think if it's mostly SFF it should probably all be SFF. I agree with the others who said you might want to take this on yourself. Though I am not a big fan of self publishing, I think you will find readers for this if you have it up on Amazon or something like that.

SarahRoss

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm thinking that an all-SFF anthology makes sense. My co-editor and I would prefer professionally published, but if that can't happen we will go the self-publishing route.