Writing a gripping first line

Double

Registered
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on beginning a story with dialogue? I had an agent who replied that he didn't like it because, "It's like starting a movie with voices over a black screen."

My story begins with dialogue: "Adam, close that trunk!"

Am I wrong to think that such a beginning is more than a black screen? Can dialogue not paint a picture --boy, trunk, commanding person out of sight?

When a middle grader read the opening line, I asked him what he thought about it. He replied, "I'm wondering what's in the trunk."

I thought that I finally had nailed it. Now, I'm wondering...
As a viewer, I would be interested to know what is going to happen if I hear the voices with a black screen. I recently read the excerpts of Alexandra Casavant's The Voiceless Voice, and she started a few stories using dialogues. With the context she provides in the next sentences, it builds to a curiosity that keeps me going back for more. It is a well-done feat for a short story compilation about the power of our voices.

On the other hand, sometimes I find it easier to experiment later as I've established the plot line and characters, knowing that I've set the course right.