• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Metamorphosis Literary Agency

JKeller

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates or good news? I have a full out with them.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE 9th Feb:

I received a response from Jana in a little over a week, it was a personalised response but there were a few red flags (to me) that I was right in my initial assessment that she thought the piece would be something it's not (i.e. she was trying to let me down gently rather than admitting her mistake). Take my words with a pinch of salt, from what NervousAnonymous said, I'm not too bothered to have missed the boat on this one.

Don't feel bad, I once got a pitch like for my grimdark revenge fantasy from what turned out to be a Mormon press. That was...amusing.

techy

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them after seeing Stephanie was this month's (April) Writer's Digest "Meet the Agent" spotlight. Then I came here. She has requested a full synopsis based on my query, not I'm very conflicted. WD wouldn't spotlight a questionable agent, would they? I guess I would like to believe whomever they feature would be fully vetted.

- - - Updated - - -

Stephanie is this month's "Meet the Agent" profile in Writer's Digest. She has requested additional materials from me. Any update on your end?

NervousAnonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Techy,

Writer's Digest likely wouldn't feature a "questionable agent"--unless, of course, they don't know that agent is questionable. The key difference I've noticed between Metamorphosis and other agencies that have been called out for sketchy practices is that Metamorphosis doesn't do anything that is technically "wrong." They sign clients and then sell those client's books--which is what an agent is supposed to do. The issue with Metamorphosis, in my opinion, is that they push to appear as an agency that is in the "big leagues." As in, they sell to Big 5 publishing houses, when the simple truth is that they don't. To me, this is false advertising.

They also do strange things other agencies, ones that actually DO sell to Big 5, don't do such as putting author interviews on Wattpad.

If you're comfortable with your book landing with an indie or very small publisher, then by all means, go ahead and send Stephanie your materials! Some people prefer the small publisher route. However, if you're looking for a shot at a Big 5--or even slightly below Big 5--then I'd seek representation elsewhere.

NervousAnonymous

Registered
Reaction score
As nervous as I am to be posting this, after months of watching this unfold, enough is enough. I strongly caution writers against submitting to this agency. To start at the beginning, I learned of Metamorphosis through the agency’s owner, Stephanie Hansen. Without doing proper research, I submitted to her and quickly received an offer of rep. My first red flag was that the offer was made via email without a phone call. The email basically said “I’d like to offer you rep. When you’re ready to sign I’ll send over a HelloSign request.”

It was then that I decided to do some digging. I asked Stephanie for a list of her clients. Her agency website claims she represents many authors, including NYT best sellers. However, the client names she gave me were a Picture Book writer and an author whose first book came out through a small press. I figured maybe her other clients weren’t comfortable with having their contact info given out, so I gave Stephanie the benefit of the doubt. As I did more digging, I found a Wattpad profile for Metamorphosis. This was very strange in itself, as Wattpad isn’t really considered a professional platform. On their profile there were interviews with Stephanie’s clients. There were around a dozen of them, so I searched each of those names. All of them were published with small presses that accept un-agented submissions, or through e-book only. This drove me to Publisher’s Marketplace, where Stephanie has not reported a single sale to a larger house except for a couple e-book-only sales. I searched high and low, and found no indication that this agency reps ANY best-selling authors, let alone several.

In my digging, I also found that all the agents at this agency are writers and they represent each other’s work. What this means to me is that none of their agents have many connections within the publishing industry. It’s not normal for agents to represent agents within the same agency. Yes, some agents are also writers, but they usually seek representation at other agencies (ex: Eric Smith and Rebecca Podos). Furthermore, this agency has a lot of interns, and those interns graduate to junior agent very quickly. One of their agents was just a Wattpad writer less than a year ago, and now she’s moved on to representing other writers? This particular agent may be well-intentioned and passionate about her client’s work, but my point is this isn’t a normal career progression.

The last thing I did before making my decision was reaching out to other writer’s on QueryTracker who recently received offers of rep from Stephanie. There were a few other YA writers that she offered rep to around the time she made me an offer. I reached out to them and they all had similar reservations, but one in particular managed to schedule a phone call with Stephanie. When this writer asked Stephanie about the submission process, Stephanie didn’t name any specific houses she wanted to submit to and also said the manuscript was ready for submission without any edits. This is NOT NORMAL.

With all this information, I ultimately declined the offer with the thought that this agency was well-intentioned but perhaps naïve and not established enough, but that they’d get there in the future. However, since rejecting Stephanie’s offer, I’m worried something a bit more deceptive may be going on at Metamorphosis.

To warn my fellow querying writers, I posted on QueryTracker about my experience. Shortly after I posted my comment, Stephanie posted a blog on Metamorphsis (a “year in review” style post highlighting all that the agency had accomplished in 2018). The post almost point-for-point responded to my comment on QueryTracker, signaling me that someone in the agency had likely seen my comment. THEN, someone on QueryTracker (thus dubbed “BB”) copied & pasted Metamorphosis’s blog post into the comments, as if purposely trying to make people second-guess what I’d posted.

Shortly after, I updated my comment on QueryTracker with new information I’d discovered (that all Metamorphosis’s big-5 sales are e-book only). If you’re unfamiliar with QT, the most recent comment appears at the top of the feed—including recently-updated comments. At this point, my negative comment was back at the top of Stephanie’s QT comment page. The very next day, BB updated their comment—however, they didn’t edit the content, which tells me they just wanted their comment to appear on top of mine. Figuring it was a fluke, I shrugged it off. However, a few days ago, a different user posted a negative comment on Stephanie’s QT profile. Again, BB updated their comment to make it move above the negative one. Suspicious of what was going on, I updated my comment again a couple days ago, making it move to the top. Yesterday, BB updated their comment again, making it appear first in the feed—someone is trying to bury negative comments about this agency.

Make of all this what you want, but writers need to know what they’re doing when they sign with this agency. Metamorphosis makes their clients sign a contract for one year that is automatically renewed unless prior notice is given in writing thirty days before the initial contract expires. In the publishing industry, a year can easily become a lifetime when you see the work you poured your heart and soul into is going nowhere. I’m not sure what this agency’s goal is, but something isn’t right here.

UPDATE: since I’ve typed this, people have been flooding Stephanie’s QT with positive comments. They all sound similar, as if written by the same person. One even states they signed with her back in October—so then why are they commenting NOW? It seems the agent may have requested her clients to post positive feedback on her behalf. Though my theory is purely speculation, it’s obvious something fishy is going on.

UPDATE: Recently, another QT user has expressed concern about the legitimacy of Metamorphosis after a flood of positive comments of dubious intent have filled Stephanie's QT profile. BB, after months of no activity, is back at updating her comment to bury negative ones.

UPDATE 2: A QT user recently posted that they've read this thread and have crossed Metamorphosis off their query list. After months of silence, BB has once again updated their comment to bury the negative comment.

UPDATE 3: BB (who at this point I suspect is Stephanie Hansen herself, because who else is this invested in a single agenct at an agency who mostly sells to small presses?) is once again up to their shenanigans. They've spammed Stephanie's QueryTracker with multiple links to deals Metamorphosis has made recently, and rather than putting all the links in one comment, they posted four separate comments, again moving negative comments further down the feed.

Last edited:

kittymowmow

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the books on their website, like the Immortal Sleepers, go to a Simon & schuster page, but if you scroll down to the product details, it says the book's publisher is Torrid. So... not being honest about where they're publishing. Or taking pains to make it look like the books are with top 5 pubs. This agency, while meaning good things I'm sure, can't make top 5 deals. Don't waste your time. If you want a small pub, you can do that yourself. Submitted to a "senior agent" who'd never been trained, other than what Metamorphosis taught them. That's not enough, folks.

NervousAnonymous

Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: Recently, another QT user has expressed concern about the legitimacy of Metamorphosis after a flood of positive comments of dubious intent have filled Stephanie's QT profile. BB, after months of no activity, is back at updating her comment to bury negative ones.

UPDATE 2: A QT user recently posted that they've read this thread and have crossed Metamorphosis off their query list. After months of silence, BB has once again updated their comment to bury the negative comment.

UPDATE 3: BB (who at this point I suspect is Stephanie Hansen herself, because who else is this invested in a single agenct at an agency who mostly sells to small presses?) is once again up to their shenanigans. They've spammed Stephanie's QueryTracker with multiple links to deals Metamorphosis has made recently, and rather than putting all the links in one comment, they posted four separate comments, again moving negative comments further down the feed.

UPDATE 4: BB has, at this point, posted six separate comments in the last week, all containing links to deal announcements from Metamorphosis or Stephanie specifically. They're all audio-only/eBook-only/small-press deals, so idk what exactly this person thinks they're proving, but it's so ridiculously obvious this is Stephanie herself. Another QT called BB out for this behavior, and BB has since continues to post links to Stephanie's every deal. QueryTracker really needs to do something about this blatant misuse of their platform.

NervousAnonymous

Registered
Reaction score
As of November 5, Stephanie Hansen's QueryTracker has been deleted. She's clearly trying to wipe any evidence of her agency being shady.

Reactions: Fenyx

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I know nobody's really commenting, but we *are* reading, and I'm so grateful for your posts! I'm a bit annoyed the account is gone, because it was extraordinary. Thank you for everything you've shared. I've seen people all over the internet linking to this thread.

Editing to say that I think several people have deleted their accounts.

Last edited:

Chris_Phillips

Registered
Reaction score
I was a Metamorphosis client. It was pretty sus from the get go, but I stayed with it because I wanted to have an agent and shot at getting my book out there. I was told on signing to mock a cover for my book. They said it would help publishers visualize it, but I'm pretty sure they just wanted to look like they had more sales.
I was initially told I'd be subbed to big houses, but after 6 months there was a pivot to tiny houses I could have approached solo. I called it out and was told not to worry because they made offers higher based on whether you had an agent, so I'd make the same amount. I was told I could actually make more with a small independent pub. I said no, and was told she was still sending my MS out, but I never got rejections or any notice unless I asked. The emails took longer and longer for my agent to respond, some almost a full month. I eventually decided to end it and sent notice.
I was told before signing I had to give 30 days to terminate the agreement. But, when I actually did it, I was given an amendment to sign so the contract would end in 30 days and not in November. The amendment had a confidentiality clause. I told them I wouldn't agree to sign it and the contract ended in 30 days based on emails from my agent in 19'. They stopped emailing at all, so I emailed to ask if they were really going to try to hold me to the agreement. I was told they didn't want to be my agency anymore and they threatened to send me a cease and desist letter, which was pretty hilarious IMO. After finally getting a clear answer that the agreement was terminated, I stopped emailing.

Moral of the story, have a clear goal and timeline going into any agreement. Bail at the first sign of trouble.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was a Metamorphosis client. It was pretty sus from the get go, but I stayed with it because I wanted to have an agent and shot at getting my book out there. I was told on signing to mock a cover for my book. They said it would help publishers visualize it, but I'm pretty sure they just wanted to look like they had more sales.
I was initially told I'd be subbed to big houses, but after 6 months there was a pivot to tiny houses I could have approached solo. I called it out and was told not to worry because they made offers higher based on whether you had an agent, so I'd make the same amount. I was told I could actually make more with a small independent pub. I said no, and was told she was still sending my MS out, but I never got rejections or any notice unless I asked. The emails took longer and longer for my agent to respond, some almost a full month. I eventually decided to end it and sent notice.
I was told before signing I had to give 30 days to terminate the agreement. But, when I actually did it, I was given an amendment to sign so the contract would end in 30 days and not in November. The amendment had a confidentiality clause. I told them I wouldn't agree to sign it and the contract ended in 30 days based on emails from my agent in 19'. They stopped emailing at all, so I emailed to ask if they were really going to try to hold me to the agreement. I was told they didn't want to be my agency anymore and they threatened to send me a cease and desist letter, which was pretty hilarious IMO. After finally getting a clear answer that the agreement was terminated, I stopped emailing.

Moral of the story, have a clear goal and timeline going into any agreement. Bail at the first sign of trouble.
Oh, dear, I'm so sorry that things didn't work out for you. But thank you for sharing your story! I hope i will save someone else the grief and distress.

Absolute Write is a terrific forum for writers of every stripe and at every level. I hope you'll stick around! If you hop over to the New Members (<-- that's a clickable link) section you can start a thread about yourself. We'd love to know what genres you like to read, what hemisphere you hail from, what aspects of writing interest you, and anything else. It'll help the community get to know you, and it will flag to the moderators that You Are Here, so they can give you some tips and pointers and links. And in no time you'll feel yourself part of a big, supportive, helpful, knowledgable group of people just like yourself.

cllcl

Jai guru deva om
Registered
Reaction score
An Honest Review of Metamorphosis Literary Agency from a Client

I'll start this by saying I am currently signed to a reputable agent who's landed me a deal with a top 5 publisher--healthy advance and all--and I now realize the difference between a real agent...and a shmagent. Metamorphosis Literary is a Shmagency.

TLDR - Just like you know a lot of your colleagues at work, most acquisitions editors know the agents they work with. They avoid the shmagents, so you could be shooting yourself in the foot by signing with a known one.

Definition: Shmagent. A shmagent is a vantiy agent. While this agent is not a /scam/, all they offer is the ability for an author to say they have an agent, and nothing else. They do not get the author a trade-pub deal and aren't in the business of trying

In hindsight it was my fault, signing with Stephanie Hansen of Metamorphosis. I just /really/ wanted an agent because a few of my friends had agents and it just seemed to validate them, to upper-eschelon their work. And I wanted that greener grass even if it meant I'd still be doing all of my own submitting to publishers. I was this close to just making up a name and email and faking an agent--and frankly, I should have just done that instead of signing with ML.

While I received initial interest in my query from a few agents, the rejections were introducing dejection, and Hansen moved quickly, introducing excitement in my Full and elements of time-scarcity, so I hopped in.

Flag 1 - She never read the book. I asked the sneaky sus questions and figured out she didn't read it, but I forgave that anyway (my current agent literally red-lined my work from top to bottom with comments and edits). Flag 2 - I'd have to remind her to send out to publishers, remind her to follow up after the allotted time, research and suggest publishers. And to speak with them, I had to fill out a calendly with very limited space (my current agent and I are on quick cell basis). Flag 3 - The gas lighting: it's why I say I should have just faked an agent. I wouldn't have had to deal with the emotional turmoil that was me trying to delicately prod Hansen without hurting her feelings, getting snipped at or ignored, receiving strange "if you scroll up, you said"-type emails (for the lack of a better word, my current agent is normal and doesn't have smarmy self-esteem issues, because she's confident in her abilities). And the biggest Flag of all - When I asked Stephanie to send me the query she'd been sending out on my behalf, after over a year of not getting a deal....I found typos in it. TYPOS!! And I don't just mean your average "hte"; there were misspelled words, wrong genre info, incorrect info on the publisher. And this is what is going out on MY behalf?

Boy, what a balloon popper that was. I shed a lot of tears working with her honestly. She finally landed me with a teeny tiny press, and I took it. The small press is just as much of a what-are-they-really-doing headache (minus the gaslighting) and again in hindsight, I probably should have just self-published.

But here's the kicker, in speaking with /real/ agents, now that I've thankfully come out on the other end, I've learned that Metamorphosis Literary Agency and the agents employed there are considered a joke by their colleagues. Not funny "haha" but more "oh, you poor thing". Manuscripts from shmagents are rarely opened by legit acquisitions editors, because they don't want to work with the types of authors that would settle for a shmagent. Period.

You may honestly have a better shot at having your manuscript read as an unknown author than a known shmagent will have.

We all want agents, for the clout, for the potential sale. And as the rejections pile up, it's tempting to settle for a shmagent or to excuse-away all of their glaring red flags. But no matter how dejected you are from the "no"s, you, your career, your name and ultimately your manuscript deserve more than a shmagent.

Shmagents aren't agents, they are playing dress-up.

EDIT: Adding/Updating definition

Last edited:

TristenHannah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tristenhannahbooks.com
@cllcl so what's this Stephanie have to gain by not selling books? How does she bring in revenue by just pretending? It just seems like a waste of her time (and more importantly yours).

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@cllcl so what's this Stephanie have to gain by not selling books? How does she bring in revenue by just pretending? It just seems like a waste of her time (and more importantly yours).
For many people who pretend to be something they're not, it's not the revenue. It's the bragging rights.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
For many people who pretend to be something they're not, it's not the revenue. It's the bragging rights.
Exactly. I saw a conversation on another discussion board, years ago, where someone said they were going to set up shop as a publisher. No one asked questions about this person's experience or resources. Instead, the response was all fist-pumping cheers of "Yeah! Stick it to the man!" like this tiny startup was going to challenge Random House. And whoever started it got to say they were a publisher, at least until they inevitably folded.

Reactions: Unimportant