Literary Fiction word counts?

Nic Schuck

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was over 90,000 words (327 pages) and when I look at it now, there are some sections I would cut. I felt it was a bit too long. My second novel is 58,000 words (246) and am much happier with it. 45,000 may be a bit short for agents and publishers, but I think many readers are pleased with quick reads. I enjoy quick reads. I can't imagine a 400 page Barry Hannah novel. Or Harry Crews trying to write 400 pages. For some writers it just doesn't work. I'm trying to get my third novel around the 200-250 page range again. I'm hoping to be wrapping up the ending right at the 50,000 word mark. Definitely don't want to go over 75,000 words. It's as you said, a lot of it just becomes filler. And filler sucks. I want to eliminate all the parts a reader may feel compelled to skip or skim. I want every word to have a purpose.

Updown

Registered
Reaction score
I think it’s very dependant on each book. But I hear 70-100k is quite common for the genre. Personally I always struggle to get under 100k, but I overwrite unfortunately.