RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
On the Washington Post's Plum Line yesterday, Paul Waldman penned the following column.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...ger-together-really-says-about-her-candidacy/
The column quotes Hillary saying the following:
Look, we are stronger together. We are stronger together, in facing our internal challenges and our external ones. We are stronger together if we work to improve the economy. And that’s going to mean trying to get the Republicans to do what will actually help produce more jobs, like we saw in the 1990s. We are stronger together when we have a bipartisan, even nonpartisan foreign policy that protects our country. And that provides a kind of steady, strong, smart leadership that the rest of the world expects from us. And I know that, you know, slogans come and go, and all the rest of it. But when I look at where we are in our country together, we need to unify the country. We are stronger together, when we act on a set of plans and priorities that will redound to the benefit of the American people.

Waldman's analysis starts with this:
Your first impulse might be to say, “‘Stronger Together’? That’s weak.” And you wouldn’t be completely wrong.

One might analyze it in the direct fashion he does, but there's also a possibility that either Hillary or someone on her staff is a fan of the Supergirl TV Show. Stronger Together was the title of the second episode and in that show it's the meaning of the symbol on Supergirl and Superman's costumes (the motto of the House of El).

That show is aimed largely at young women (but as an old guy, I like it too), so it's possible that this slogan is an explicit shout out as well as being a challenge to the Bernie or Bust crowd.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm not sure I understand. Why is it weak to say the the US is stronger when united? When we can work together towards a shared goal?

And Supergirl rocks!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'm not sure I understand. Why is it weak to say the the US is stronger when united? When we can work together towards a shared goal?

And Supergirl rocks!

I think he's complaining that the slogan is weak. I don't agree with him (which may be pro-Supergirl bias). But, yeah, it actually is a strong message to say that the United States of America is better when United rather than individual States (E pluribus unum and all that sort of thing).

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
Your search engine history must be looking terrible after today

"Hitler quotes on strength"
"Hitler on the jews in germany"
"Hitler on unity"

:D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
robo's search engine history could never have been a pretty sight.

andadu27101

Registered
Reaction score
Empty words in my opinion. The two parties have grown too far apart. It’s going to take smart people to put it back together…and I don’t see any of those around.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
In all seriousness, I don't see a problem with the slogan. I don't see it as weak, as a matter of course. And it seems to me that it calls up "it takes as village," as well. For the Clinton campaign, that would seem like a good idea. The attacks will come, no matter what, after all.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score

Your link to Hitler's quotes has one I found to be eerily visionary as well as un-Hitlerlike:
A Car For The People, An Affordable Volkswagen, Would Bring Great Joy To The Masses
No wonder this guy sucked everybody in.

Also, regarding the OP - I find it very annoying that Clinton would be talking about stronger together, when over the years it seems she leaves no opportunity unused to shred the Republicans. And she does it in generalities that I find insulting, like we're all the same sort of satan. So yeah, this appears to be a transparent ploy to try to get the votes of Repubs who hate Trump and far left Dems who can't have Bernie.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well, Hitler was a populist. He said what he had to in order to hold power. Saying populist things doesn't make one Hitler, however. People seem to have a hard time realizing this, imo.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Empty words in my opinion. The two parties have grown too far apart. It’s going to take smart people to put it back together…and I don’t see any of those around.

Exhaustion of a long campaign and a lot of conflicting goals mean some people who are incredibly smart don't always come off that way. Our rhetoric is not helping. I'm not so prepared to say these are empty words from her. I don't hear specifics from her about how they'll be achieved but just saying they're empty words does not make it so.