Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Sorry. I've betrayed you all. My next book has two white women and one black man as main characters.
It also has a white woman on the cover. An obviously privileged white woman.
It also has a title that suggests white privilege.
I've abandoned all pride, all dignity. I should be ashamed of myself.
But I'm not.
1. The publisher chose cover and title, and I agreed to both.
2. The story, ie content, is the thing.

Your first reactions? Can the story justify submitting to the conventions of commercial publishing, ie attracting readers who might otherwise not pick up the book?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
But but but.... how could you betray us like that? :p :p :p

Actual first reaction: Huh! Typical book cover; Imma avoid it now. :p

Rational reaction: If you can get readers to pick up a book they might not otherwise consider, then I would say go for it. Obviously, this isn't my book cover we're talking about, so I can be obnoxiously objective. OTOH, if I look at this from a marketing perspective, then this may be the way to go to increase audience size and appeal, especially considering where the book may or may not be sold. The aesthetic should also speak to people's conditioned thoughts, i.e., they've been brought up to "believe" in white privilege, so, that can be used to attract readers.

Personally, I'd find a book cover with PoC characters more appealing. :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My first reaction: So... what's your point?

Are you asking me? I suppose you are. My point is that when this board was more active (what happened???) I was one of the most outspoken ones, very much anti-whitewashing of covers and titles. Very outspoken against the "no-PoC main characters" bias in novels, which definitely exists in the mainstream publishing world. I've been told this time and time again, very recently too, by my foreign agent. I spoke out about this many times in the old days. I felt we should go boldly forward, have black people on the cover, black lead characters, and white people had to accept this and buy the goddam books and read them.

I've changed my mind. I now have a different approach. Cover, title etc are the bait. If (white) readers need white characters on the cover inorder to try a book, if they are terrified of PoC, black, Indian characters or too-foreign settings, then placate them by all means. Lure them in. The cover is only bait. What matters is content. And yes, I do have white main characters but the key to everything is the black character and the book is all about racism and white privilege and I do not hold back at all. Plus I believe and I've been told it's a good story. The point it to get sales, and if a trick, and cover whitewashing, is what it takes, then so be it.

I have a further confession to make. I've just been shown the makeover for the cover of my last book, the Secret Life of Winnie Cox. At the moment this has a mixed race couple holding hands on the cover. As of Friday, the cover will be changed -- to a white woman. I've been asked for my opinion. You know what? I'm not going to object. Yes, I would prefer a cover which is true to the content but right now what I want, what I need, is sales. Yes, I'm that materialistic. But it is all part of the evil plot. It's no more than a marketing plan. The content is very much authentic, and if I have to give a little, move away from my hardline stance -- well so be it.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I understand now. You're doing what a successful writer should do. I don't see you as a sellout. I see you as a professional earning money --good honest money-- as applicable to your craft.

Kudos.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think you've got the right idea: covers as bait. Lure the readers in, get them hooked, and when your books are bestsellers, they'll yearn to see all the characters on the covers. Then you hit them with the boxed sets, with all-new 'author's choice' covers! :evil
This time 'round, build up the readership.

debergerac

Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking me? I suppose you are. My point is that when this board was more active (what happened???) I was one of the most outspoken ones, very much anti-whitewashing of covers and titles. Very outspoken against the "no-PoC main characters" bias in novels, which definitely exists in the mainstream publishing world. I've been told this time and time again, very recently too, by my foreign agent. I spoke out about this many times in the old days. I felt we should go boldly forward, have black people on the cover, black lead characters, and white people had to accept this and buy the goddam books and read them.

I've changed my mind. I now have a different approach. Cover, title etc are the bait. If (white) readers need white characters on the cover inorder to try a book, if they are terrified of PoC, black, Indian characters or too-foreign settings, then placate them by all means. Lure them in. The cover is only bait. What matters is content. And yes, I do have white main characters but the key to everything is the black character and the book is all about racism and white privilege and I do not hold back at all. Plus I believe and I've been told it's a good story. The point it to get sales, and if a trick, and cover whitewashing, is what it takes, then so be it.

I have a further confession to make. I've just been shown the makeover for the cover of my last book, the Secret Life of Winnie Cox. At the moment this has a mixed race couple holding hands on the cover. As of Friday, the cover will be changed -- to a white woman. I've been asked for my opinion. You know what? I'm not going to object. Yes, I would prefer a cover which is true to the content but right now what I want, what I need, is sales. Yes, I'm that materialistic. But it is all part of the evil plot. It's no more than a marketing plan. The content is very much authentic, and if I have to give a little, move away from my hardline stance -- well so be it.

You know, one writer whom I loverespectandadore, put it kind of like this: He recognizes the middle-class privilege which prevents him from needing to bow to conventions of publishing. He writes to please himself and markets his books the same way. There as a marketing study done not that long ago which exposed just how poorly books with POC on the covers sold in comparison to their white counterparts. Getting to where our inclusion in society is considered mainstream; that's a slow process. And white covers hiding POC characters is probably part of it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Yes. I know. But I'm tired of the slow process. I'm 65 years old. I still write to please myself, but the marketing is a different story. That's not my business, it's my publisher's. And if they can sell books then please go ahead with white ladies on the cover. Bring on the fast process.

Though I didn't quite understand your first sentence, this bit: the middle-class privilege which prevents him from needing to bow to conventions of publishing. Can you clarify, please?

Last edited:

debergerac

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I know. But I'm tired of the slow process. I'm 65 years old. I still write to please myself, but the marketing is a different story. That's not my business, it's my publishers. And if they can sell books then please go ahead with white ladies on the cover. Bring on the fast process.

Though I didn't quite understand your first sentence, this bit: the middle-class privilege which prevents him from needing to bow to conventions of publishing. Can you clarify, please?

i think that by marketing the books as you are, you're a meaningful part of the process. Now people are buying your POC stories with white ladies on the front. Next, they eventually feel comfy picking up other books with POC on the cover.

he's free to write/market however the hell he wants because he doesn't rely on writing to pay the bills. I used to get really cranky about writers slinging sludge for checks or gigs. But many rely on that extra income, or are attempting to live on what they make from writing. These writers don't really have the privilege he has by virtue of his financial ease.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, you bow to market convention and wisdom, bide your time, then hook, hit and devour when the opportunity presents itself. Rinse and repeat. This is a basic marketing cycle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.