First real concert?

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
When I was 4 my dad took me to see Donny Osmond. 1974. Donny and Marie and Sonny and Cher were my faves then :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say it, but The Monkees, in 1967 I think. I had dated this guy, broken up on friendly terms, and he had a new girlfriend who didn't feel well the day of the show. He asked me and we went as friends, even though neither of us was much of a fan. (His girlfriend was.)

For a lot of years after that, money was tight enough that faced with the choice of three to five albums or one ticket, I'd buy the recording and get many more hours of musical pleasure. Only now am I seeing the great bands of my youth. Styx still puts on an excellent show. Journey's new front man is... weird, although he can really sing. He doesn't fit the band. The Stones still got it. Yes has no stage presence whatsoever. Herman of Herman's Hermits is a surprisingly good showman.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Manhattan Transfer, 1980. I got tickets for my 16th birthday.

What can I say? I had rather refined tastes in my adolescence.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was between 2006 and 2009. My Hs church Youth Group went to a Christian concert. We saw MercyMe. I remember I spent more time wandering around the lobby area than in the concert. It was fun, but I would've preferred to have gone to a country concert.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
My first concert was in 2011-ish, I got to see the musical theatre composers Kait Kerrigan and Brian Lowdermilk with a bunch of other Broadway stars, performing their work. Being based out of New York, they hadn't done any shows in LA before. My second real concert was their second LA show, a year ago last December, where I finally had the chance to meet them in person and snap a pic.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I saw everyone alive in the 70s and 80s. Haha. I can't recall my first????? Bowie? Cooper? I really don't remember.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Not counting innumerable bar bands, the first "big name" concert I went to was April Wine/Toto in 1979.

My first would have been Chicago in Kansas City that summer, but the show was canceled due to the accidental death of their lead guitarist (Terry Kath). I finally got to see them last summer. 50 years later, they still have four of the original seven, (Lamm, Pankow, Loughnane, and Parazaider) playing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I saw April Wine when they WERE a bar band. (-:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Beatles tribute band, I've forgotten the name. There were a lot of those in the late 1970s. I think I saw them twice, once in a venue, once at a free concert in the park. The area I grew up in didn't have a lot going on, obviously.

For those of you who experienced "the first concert" as teens, did your parents usher you there? Or did you go with older friends?

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
... For those of you who experienced "the first concert" as teens, did your parents usher you there? Or did you go with older friends?

For mine (mentioned above), I was 14 or 15. I wanted to take a girl. I asked the one I liked, and she said no, so a buddy went with me. It would have been either my Mom or his who drove us there and picked us up; I don't recall which one.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
A ZZ Top concert in Primm, Nevada with George Thoroughgood as the opener (I was maybe 13). Went with my parents, and we had to leave when it turned into a full-scale brawl between rival 1% groups. I wish I was making that up, and, quite frankly, my parents should have known better than to bring me.

Maskoz

Registered
Reaction score
Tom Cochrane in Victoria some time in the mid-nineties. Had to miss a day of high school to go. My English teacher was very concerned.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
wth I'll jump in.
I ran away from home that day, ended up in NYC and impulsively wandered into a Switchfoot concert. I think I was fifteen?

My dad has always taken me to little tiny jazz clubs growing up. I'd been to jazz clubs since I was 8, so seeing live music was not new. A sound system as big as Switchfoot's was definitely new. :D

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Don Henley, Building the Perfect Beast, 1986

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I think my first major major show (in the sense of smebody I knew from the radio and owned records of as opposed to whoever would be playing at the jazz matinee that week) was Wolf Maahn, a German singer who at the time struck the same chords with me as the much less local Springsteen or Mellencamp did. In the lunch area of our college, in 1986 or so..

After that, I became a regular at rock concerts for a while. I don't remember what the first real big one was, though - major in the sense that you might have heard of them. Possibly that festival in Hamburg in 1987 headlining Tina Turner and the Eurythmics. They were great (especially the Eurythmics whom I'd written off as a 'pop' act (yeah, I thought lke that) but this was their rock phase with Jimmy Z on hamronica, my own instrument of choice), but I had come to see Robert Cray and unfortunately somebody had crammed John Farnham into the lineup who had just had his one hit that week and the whole set started early so we arrived after Cray was done and I still went home frustrated.

Or maybe Rory Gallagher. That must have been around that time, too.