A question about querying

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers. Well I have finished on my biographical film based on the life of Harold Godwinson (King Harold II of England) and it has been edited and is pretty much the way I like it. And I've gotten good feedback on it from others. So now I am thinking of trying to get ti out there to people, but I haven't gotten it registered yet, as the money I need for that is not readily available at the moment. You know how life can get. I think by the end of the month I should be able to at least get the WGA registration. The question is, should I query now? A query doesn't necessarily mean they want the whole thing at the moment, and it may take some time, so I am just wondering if that's okay? Also, I was thinking of querying to Circle of Confusion and Anonymous Content. Content is kind of a heavy hitter these days, Circle, not as much, but worth a try, yes? Last but not least, thinking of adding a video to that query. One that is my sort of actor wish list for the film. I know it's kind of weird, but it's what I envisioned and I think it's still pretty good as the story of Harold and his life goes. I will put a link below if you would like to see it. Anyway, I just thought I would ask those questions. Because I am not sure, and if you don't ask, you won't know. Okay, thank you!! Cheers!!

Link to video

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers. Well I have finished on my biographical film based on the life of Harold Godwinson (King Harold II of England) and it has been edited and is pretty much the way I like it. And I've gotten good feedback on it from others. So now I am thinking of trying to get ti out there to people, but I haven't gotten it registered yet, as the money I need for that is not readily available at the moment. You know how life can get. I think by the end of the month I should be able to at least get the WGA registration. The question is, should I query now? A query doesn't necessarily mean they want the whole thing at the moment, and it may take some time, so I am just wondering if that's okay? Also, I was thinking of querying to Circle of Confusion and Anonymous Content. Content is kind of a heavy hitter these days, Circle, not as much, but worth a try, yes? Last but not least, thinking of adding a video to that query. One that is my sort of actor wish list for the film. I know it's kind of weird, but it's what I envisioned and I think it's still pretty good as the story of Harold and his life goes. I will put a link below if you would like to see it. Anyway, I just thought I would ask those questions. Because I am not sure, and if you don't ask, you won't know. Okay, thank you!! Cheers!!

Link to video

I'm confused. You made a film, and now you want to... query it? Do you mean the script from it? To what end?

You want to query a script you basically need a logline. I wouldn't do that until you're ready to send it out.

I've no idea what the circle thing or other thing are, sorry.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have written a script. It is finished, I just haven't gotten it registered yet. It will be soon, end of the month at best, but is it okay to start querying the script? I haven't made a film. If I had made a film, I wouldn't need to query. The video is just something I threw together as a wish list of actors. That's nothing. And Anonymous Content that produced The Revanent? And I think Circle of Confusion had also produced some big projects. I can't think of any right now, but still. It is ready. I was just holding back because it is not yet registered. Copyrighted. I thought maybe since this was just a query that it would be alright since they had not requested anything, and probably would not for quite some time. Was wondering if you all concur?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I have written a script. It is finished, I just haven't gotten it registered yet. It will be soon, end of the month at best, but is it okay to start querying the script? I haven't made a film. If I had made a film, I wouldn't need to query. The video is just something I threw together as a wish list of actors. That's nothing. And Anonymous Content that produced The Revanent? And I think Circle of Confusion had also produced some big projects. I can't think of any right now, but still. It is ready. I was just holding back because it is not yet registered. Copyrighted. I thought maybe since this was just a query that it would be alright since they had not requested anything, and probably would not for quite some time. Was wondering if you all concur?

In your first post you said you'd finished a film.

No, I wouldn't query until it was ready. What if they do request it?

Also, I sure as hell wouldn't send a list of actors unless someone is actually attached.

You're sending to prodcos not agents?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
At this point, it might be easier to get a prod co interested. Seeing as it's medieval history, It's already a hard sell. Do you think it would be better to send to a lit agent? I mean, would that just mean more hoop to jump through? Not that I am not willing to jump through a few hoops, but the fewer of them, the better.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
lol I think I have one of those, too. A 1066 script, that is. Popular subject, I guess!

Low funds is a bummer. Yeah, if you think the screenplay should be protected before it goes out, then you gotta wait until you can afford this, I wouldn't query until I had peace of mind.

Yep, historical movies are supposed to be a tough sell, but you never know who you might tickle with the right idea and a killer logline. The thing is, how do you get it to a producer? Big prodcos aren't known for looking at unsolicited queries, and either trash unsolicited screenplays or return them unopened, so I've read.

Putting your script up on sites like The Black List or InkTip (alas yes they cost money, as do contests, as you know, Bob) might get you more traction. Or finding an agent who can pitch this for you could be the thing to aim for. Although every article I've read about "how to get an agent" spirals into a depressing belly flop of bad experiences, e.g. this.

-Derek

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Huh, okay. Interesting article. Well, I had someone suggest to me that I do both, and just make sure and keep records and do thing standardly, but pitch to both agents/prod cos. Can't hurt I suppose.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Sure it can. If you get an interested agent, how much is left to pitch to, if you've already been rejected by a bunch of production cos?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yes, I can see that, however, it could be if they get it from me, they don't even look at it. Second round with Mr. Agent, suddenly it looks like something, they pick it up this time. I mean, how good are their records? Do they keep track of all the titles and things that go through there? So it could help, it could hurt. People do have short memories when it comes to some things, especially if it's something they didn't really read the first time around. So it both could and couldn't hurt. I mean sometimes it's just that I never hear back, from perfectly legit people. They have their reasons for not reading something, just chucking it, whatever. And chances are, if they didn't notice the first time, there's a chance they won't even remember second time it comes around. So...I don't know...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'd take the chance anyway. Worst thing that can happen is that you do absolutely nothing with it, right? Better to get the concept out there so it has a chance to take root and grow in people's consciousness. "It's like Saving Private Ryan's opening sequence, except it's the French invading England!"

-Derek

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Right, I sort of figure so. Plus a query is just a query. Chances are I don't hear anything for a while, if I hear anything at all. Plus there's nothing that says you can't try again, seeing, as I said, people forget things unless of course they actually took interest in the original query. I don't know. Maybe I will write to them, just to see. Worth a shot. And when I have money at the end of the month, I'll get it all sorted out. There's time I'm sure...I don't know, but I figure.

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Just a couple of thoughts . . . first THEY WILL REMEMBER! And if you don't have at least 4-5 good scripts in the wings (or your screenplay is so very dynamic that is can't not be read) an agent won't necessarily want to take you on. And when you pitch, you need to have other pitches ready if they ask "what else do you have?" which happens. And though your script may not be what they are looking for, if you can write well enough, you might get some writing jobs. Do you know anything about the industry? Do your homeworks. Hollywood is a "very small town" and they will remember.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
That is, if it even gets read. These people get so many submission that one in a hundred thousand doesn't always catch in the memory. Yes they are a small town, but think about the logistics. They will not necessarily read everything, nor will they remember everything they've rejected. If they rejected it, chances are they'll forget about it next day. Fact is, people this busy only look at what they're interested in. If they aren't interested, they don't waste time on it. While they might say they "read everything", we don't know that. Chances are a lot of stuff just gets tossed in the bin and goes out. So the chances they'll remember...Unless they call me with a piqued interest, no...

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
No they won't remember you . . . but it's amazing what they do remember. They don't read much of anything. Producers hate reading scripts. They have readers and they are the ones who either pass it on or not. With notes which is what the producer reads.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
If you believe the script is ready (an assumption most writers get wrong) then you should query. The town will make you wait and wait. No reason for you to stall also. I would focus on managers - not production companies or agencies (though you can certainly sprinkle them in too). Someone above suggested services like "The Black List." Yes, it could give you an idea as to how someone who examines screenplays might receive your script. But it's a little bit of a financial black whole, and you may not have the cash for it. Truth is that the best barometer is to simply query. Test it out in the real world rather than in the fringe market place that's more a pay-to-play game. You seem to be a realist and understand your chosen genre is a hard sell, so the positive return on queries might be much lower than if you'd had written something more commercial. But, as someone pointed out, if someone sparks to the concept, solicits the script, reads and loves it, it may never sell but could be used to open doors to other writing opportunities. However, don't overthink it too much or try to speculate what the other guy is thinking or how he might react. There will be plenty of rejection ahead without you undercutting the script's chances at the start. Be strategic but liberal in your querying. All someone can do is hit DELETE.

The moment you completed the script, it was automatically copyrighted (provided you're in the United States). When you get the funds, you should file copyright form PA to give you the additional legal bonuses of a registered copyright. WGA registration is unnecessary and is not a copyright. However, some organizations might ask for the WGA registration number on a release form. But that's a champagne problem. Worry about it when someone wants to read your script and asks. I've contributed here to several threads on copyright versus WGA registration. If you can only do one - copyright. If you can afford to do both - then do it.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Yes, I can see that, however, it could be if they get it from me, they don't even look at it. Second round with Mr. Agent, suddenly it looks like something, they pick it up this time. I mean, how good are their records? Do they keep track of all the titles and things that go through there?

Yes. They keep track of the titles and writers. They keep spreadsheets. (I learned this directly from an insider who told me that sometimes writers change the titles of their scripts to get them back through the door.)

Writer-1

Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered something called Script Coverage? It's basically where you send your script to someone in the know of Hollywood screenwriting, they go over the script, and send you back notes on what the industry would think (or they would pass it along if they thought it was good enough). You would have to pay for it, however, but here's a link with several of these services on it:

https://goodinaroom.com/blog/script-coverage/

Hope this helped!