MayNoWriMo 2016 - Time to Shake Your Darling Buds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy-new-monthh.gif

Welcome to the May Progress Report thread! Hope everyone, Camper or not, had a happy and productive April!

I expect to have a slow start to my month: I will be going into tech for my show next week, and then into previews the week after that. By mid-month things will settle into a pattern and I should be able to get some writing done. I'm going to give myself ONE goal for the month, and that is:

FINISH MY DAMN WIP.

And you?

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My goals are basically exactly the same as last month. Maybe I'll fill them this time.

1. Edit four chapters book 2. 0/4
2. Edit/fix two shorts. 0/2
3a. Agent List.
3b. Send more queries dammit.
4. Read four books. 0/4
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages per day.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm going to try and make my May more process oriented. I'd also like to not add the Dragon Dictate item to my ever-growing list of constant goals, so I want to get it done this month :)

May Goals:

• Train and try out Dragon Dictate
  • Refine and make time to implement new writing process
  • Clean my office
  • Start a garden, or at least dig up all the weeds that have grown where it should go
Constant Goals:

• Continue to work on getting writing in earlier in the day
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times
  • Catch up on Marvel shows (Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil S2.)
  • Keep writing streak going (4/12 months so far)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Last month was such a bummer...

This month's goals are simple:

• Finish 10 scenes and/or current MS

If goal is met before the end of the month:
  • Plot one of the two next ideas
  • Apply Hexes revisions
  • Work on #SFFPit pitches

I should really have a query goal up there, but I am so sick of worrying about querying right now... Good luck everyone!

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, took a few breaks off after Camp. Time to dive back in!

This month's goals are:

• 10k words for WIP, for a total of 70k
  • Read four books
  • Start plotting book 2

This may be hard because it is the end of school and I have a lot of work to do before classes end. But maybe it's actually achievable, because all the plot points are coming together and stuff is getting exciting.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Trying to get my shit together this month, so I'll start by hanging out here more.

Goals:

1) Write 20k. 1k down, 20k to go.
2) Read 3 books. 1 down, 2 to go. (Planning on reading the first Percy Jackson book and 'The Rook'. :))
3) Finish one video game. (Gonna raid all the Tombs!)
4) Make some art.
5) Get back to choir practice.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't gotten any new words down. I'm at the stage where I need to do a lot of thinking about the plot, where to take it, how to best present it, blah, blah, blah. I'm not making much headway. :(

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

• Finish 10 scenes and/or current MS 3.5!

I made a bunch of headway (I credit taking myself to the movies) this weekend, and I've come to a dead stop, trying to plot a murder attempt. My notes are strikingly unhelpful, because they only mention how the event impacts the MC. The MC foils the attempt but I have no idea what the baddies (sort of baddies) were trying to do.

I posted in the sandbox. Maybe someone else is better at this than I am. Yesterday, getting to the end by Tuesday seemed doable...

EMaree- Raid ALL the tombs! (which one are you playing? I gave up on the first of the new ones, because the mechanics made me angry...)
Chompers- Write something! Make some words, and the right words will come.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We teched our show this weekend, using what's called in the business a "ten out of twelve" rehearsal day - meaning we're called for twelve hours, with a two-hour break somewhere in the span of day. I brought my laptop so I could utilize those two hours and actually wrote maybe thirty whole words. But that's thirty more words than I had in the whole month of April, so I'll take 'em.

Once this show finally opens (Saturday), I'll have my days free again and can get back to a regular writing schedule. I'm eager to get started again.

sierrawrites13

Registered
Reaction score
Goals
1. Complete part of my WIP third draft. This includes writing new chapters and adding to old ones. (12/18 chapters completed)
2. Complete a minor line edit for my WIP. (due May 31)
3. Ship my WIP to my betas. (due June 1)
​Postponed until June

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Hrm...

May Goals:

• Train and try out Dragon Dictate (started checking my microphone settings)
  • Refine and make time to implement new writing process
  • Clean my office
  • Start a garden, or at least dig up all the weeds that have grown where it should go

That is not much progress , is it? :tongue

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Finish 2 rough drafts.
Finish edits on novella and then submit it.
Read 2 books.

Hopefully I can complete at least half the list this time without needing to go out of town because of a family emergency. I swear, committing to off NoWriMo months brings me bad luck.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

• Finish 10 scenes and/or current MS DONE!

If goal is met before the end of the month: Oh, right... these exist?
  • Apply Hexes revisions
  • Work on #SFFPit pitches

First draft is done! Thank heavens. I forgot I'd promised a beta read as soon as I could, so that's going to jump everything in the queue. I think I should be able to get some other thing done too...

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly check-in!

May Goals:

• Train and try out Dragon Dictate (I have my mic set-up, and am running some exercises. Also discovered I'll probably need a different mic or something to get the transcription to work.)
  • Refine and make time to implement new writing process (Minor progress here, but not much)
  • Clean my office (I have the recycling bagged. Does that count?)
  • Start a garden, or at least dig up all the weeds that have grown where it should go (One box weeded, but still haven't decided what to plant)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Show is open and we're into a regular run. Yesterday's matinee + evening performance = long break between shows, so I spent about two hours rewriting the most recent scene in the WIP. It's the Big Love Reveal and I thought I was done with it a couple of months ago, but now I see that the tone is all wrong. I didn't finish the rewrite but at least I feel like I'm finally on the right track.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

• Finish 10 scenes and/or current MS DONE
  • Beta read MS

If goal is met before the end of the month:
  • Apply Hexes revisions
  • Work on #SFFPit pitches Done?

I forgot I had a beta promised, so I just wrapped that up. I covered the doc with so many notes, I'm surprised in wasn't too heavy to attach... I also wrote two SFFPit pitches, though both one has two versions, so that's practically three right? I think I suck at pitches.

Considering I didn't put a query goal up there, I've done a lot of adding to the spreadsheet. I might send some tomorrow just to make me feel less useless. I want to plot tomorrow on my day off, even if revision was would be more useful...

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot I hadn't updated for ages! I've been trudging along. Not done enough to complete everything by the end of the month but still trudging along. I'm still working lots of extra time and I haven't managed to find the new balance for getting writing AND games in.

I've done three chapters. Not entirely happy with them on a sentence level, but this really is meant to be the content draft so...

Read A Little Princess. It's a comfort read for me, and I'm following a read along/analysis atm. I meant to just read where that was up to, but forgot to stop ;p Also read Barrayar. It'll be weird going on to Miles when I'm used to Cordelia as the MC (and people unfamiliar with the books will have no idea what I'm talking about of course!), but I have to put the series aside for some library books anyway. (Sandman: Overture finally was available!).

I'm really happy I'm still getting stuff done each day despite how busy I've been (for me) of late.

1. Edit four chapters book 2. 3/4
2. Edit/fix two shorts. 0/2
3a. Agent List. Nope.
3b. Send more queries dammit. Nope.
4. Read four books. 2/4
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages per day. Yep.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Goals:

1) Write 20k. In progress.
2) Read 3 books. Completed! Read 8(!) books, on track to raise that to 10 by end of month.
3) Finish one video game. Still in progress. (Gonna raid all the Tombs!)
4) Make some art. Behind with this: a few rough sketches down, but nothing I'm super excited about.
5) Get back to choir practice.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Check-in post!

May Goals Update:

• Train and try out Dragon Dictate (Still working through exercises, and trying to get myself used to dictating while walking.)
  • Refine and make time to implement new writing process (Last week was fail.)
  • Clean my office (Ditto.)
  • Start a garden, or at least dig up all the weeds that have grown where it should go (And again! I'm not sure I'm going to pull this one off.)

Constant Goals Update:

• Catch up on Marvel shows (Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil S2.) (Started watching Jessica Jones. Lost all my recordings of Agent Carter to a DVR crash.)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Goals:

1) Write 20k. 18.3k/20k. On-track.
2) Read 3 books. Completed! Read 9(!) books, on track to hit 10+ by month end.
3) Finish one video game. Still in progress. (Gonna raid all the Tombs!)
4) Make some art. Behind with this: a few rough sketches down, but nothing I'm super excited about.5) Get back to choir practice. Behind.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Finish 2 rough drafts. (I've been jumping around several wips, but I still haven't figured out which ones I'll finish this month.)
Finish edits on novella and then submit it. (Needs one more light editing pass, and then I'll rewrite the second half of the synopsis)
Read 2 books. (3/4 into a YA UF, 1/4 into a SF Romance)

Hopefully I can complete at least half the list this time without needing to go out of town because of a family emergency. I swear, committing to off NoWriMo months brings me bad luck. (I'm definitely meeting the half goal this month, so that makes me feel better.)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Jebus, it's taking me forever to finish the Big Love sequence. I think I finally have the tone right, but I am trying to R.U.E. (meaning Resist the Urge to Explain) and it's a struggle. Protag #1 has been through a lot of life-changing shit and the reader has been along for that ride. However, Protag #2 doesn't know about all that stuff and needs to understand what's happened before the two can move on together. Figuring out how to make the vast majority of Protag #1's explanation to Protag #2 happen "off camera" is driving me bats.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Jebus, it's taking me forever to finish the Big Love sequence. I think I finally have the tone right, but I am trying to R.U.E. (meaning Resist the Urge to Explain) and it's a struggle. Protag #1 has been through a lot of life-changing shit and the reader has been along for that ride. However, Protag #2 doesn't know about all that stuff and needs to understand what's happened before the two can move on together. Figuring out how to make the vast majority of Protag #1's explanation to Protag #2 happen "off camera" is driving me bats.

A summary sentence, perhaps?

Protagonist 1 ran a hand over his face. "You will not believe what I've gone through to get to this point."
Protagonist 2 raised an eyebrow. "Come now. It couldn't have been that bad."
"Oh, no? You'll soon change your tune."
And so our illustrious protagonist went into full detail into all the sh!t that transpired within the last two weeks, from the moment he awoke on Monday to find bear cubs digging through his food -- with a very large, very hungry Mama bear nearby -- to his parachute failing on him, to the crazed maniac chasing him down the dirt road with a machete, all to bring him to this point where he sat across Protagonist 2, calmly drinking coffee.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a riff on Chompers' thought... anything that might connect the two, as a jump off point, and then on from there, all '"what happened to Ann?" "Dead, so are Bob and Carl. I've been busy." and so he filled him in on the rest...' etc. I guess it depends on how many incidents you need to recap.

I really hate when things have to stop to hear things I already knew... Even "he told her everything that had happened over a bottle of strong drink at the campfire" or whatever is enough to get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.