Have you ever... (game!)

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Not as much as you might think. I tend to put a lot of weight in recommendations, so I don't often read books that I've been told are really bad unless I have a reason to. I heard some mixed things about Stephen King's The Stand though, and I loved that book.

Have you ever written a story from a certain point-of-view (first-person, third-person limited, third-person omniscient) and then rewritten the story in a different POV on a subsequent draft?

Last edited:

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Two (or three?) WIPs ago, I wrote the whole thing in first-person present, then rewrote the second draft into third-person limited past, on the arbitrary thought that I just like third-person past and it feels more "classic" to me. Not sure that was the best choice for that novel, as the first-person had a much stronger voice.

Have you ever totally rewritten your novel in a revision in less than two weeks?

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
No. The most total rewriting I've done is deleting whole chapters and starting them from scratch. Might have taken two weeks for a chapter since I'm slow/time-strapped.

Have you ever spilled any sort of drink/food while writing?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately, no. And now I have one of those keyboard protection covers on my computer, so hopefully, I will never have to experience that.

Have you ever written an entire book only to discover that a book eerily similar to yours in theme/topic is coming out?

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write a complete book but I spent about $50 in research materials and did pre-planning to develop an underground magical society set in the 1940s around the same time as Cass Clare's THE INFERNAL DEVICES came out which was annoying (especially as I am not her biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination). The secret society of people with magical powers and family saga drama in historical context fit too close, in my opinion, at that time.

Question: have you ever done research for a novel/your novel?

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Question: have you ever done research for a novel/your novel?

I've done loads of research for stories. My most recent research has involved mooching around on survivalist websites and you tube channels learning how to make and use palaeolithic tools. This includes practical experimentation and I've even made myself a flint hand axe - albeit that mine's very lower palaeolithic* and my MC would probably be shocked that anyone could get as old as I am and not be able to make a decent hand axe.

*i.e. people who lived 2-3 million years ago made better hand axes than me

Have you ever written a character, then met someone that you didn't previously know, that was just like your character?

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Have you ever written a character, then met someone that you didn't previously know, that was just like your character?

No, but that would be creepy and cool at the same time. Then I'd end up changing things about that character, so it wouldn't look like I making a carbon copy of that person.
Sorry if this is an old thread or if this question has already been asked, but...

Have you ever ended up going through three or four different names to find the perfect one?

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever ended up going through three or four different names to find the perfect one?

Yes, and am still not able to find the perfect name for a secondary male character in my most recent MS. Getting kind of tired of looking through baby books for inspiration.

Speaking of inspiration, what is the strangest place you have found inspiration when it comes to writing?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Gloves. I was wondering why a character always had gloves on and send the story in a different direction.

Have you ever had to add words to a first draft because it was too low?

parzival34

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever been told a book was terrible only to read it anyway and then discover you love it?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have! A couple years ago my dad got me the book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for Christmas. I did a little research on the book via reddit and found tons and tons of comments spewing hate and saying it was horribly written with a complete lack of story. Despite this I still decided to read it and loved it. yes the writing can be a bit rudimentary at times, but I love the story and with the new film adaptation it makes me love it more.

Have you ever been told the ending of an unreleased best selling book by the author?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
No. I've been told endings of unpublished books from writers I know, but I'm not sure about the best-selling part.

Have you ever written in other genres?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Yes, I usually write science fiction, but a paranormal / vampire story wanted to be told. So did a Si-fi/ fantasy and I just got a shiny new idea for a superhero/ fantasy story. (not sure if the superhero/ fantasy is going to work out, but it would be fun to enter the superhero genre.)

Have you ever made two characters twins (or three triplets)

rhiannon_writes

✿✿✿
Registered
Reaction score
No.

Have you ever picked out theme songs or made playlists for characters in your story?

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I do have playlists for when I write in general.

Have you ever had in-depth plot ideas for a sequel before you're even halfway through the current book you're writing?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
When I was trying to write a novel series, I did, but now that I write novellas, I only sometimes do that.

Have you ever accidentally stolen a quote from a movie or TV show and didn't realize it until someone pointed it out

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Shamefully from Megamind and Calvin and Hobbes.

Have you ever changed something about a character midway through the story and not realized it until editing?

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly, but close - one of my main characters wore glasses in her introductory scene which then somehow never got mentioned again.

Have you ever imagined a particular scene of your novel in a cinematic way, soundtracked with a particular song or piece of music ?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever imagined a particular scene of your novel in a cinematic way, soundtracked with a particular song or piece of music ?

I picture many of my scenes in a cinematic way, but I don't really put instrumental music to them. However, I also have a playlist for each novel, and occasionally, a piece of music fits the scene so perfectly that I can imagine the scene going down as I play the song. And there was one time that I was writing a scene and the Doctor Who soundtrack was playing, and the music just matched the drama perfectly as I was writing that I incorporated it in my head into the scene.

Have you ever finished writing a book only to find that the next read you pick up has so many coincidental similarities that you want to throw it across the room?

Robots

Registered
Reaction score
Again, not exactly but just as I was finishing up my novel I walked into a random bookstore in a city I was visiting and picked up a book with a blurb that appealed to me...only to find out after a few minutes that it contained a particular sci-fi thought/idea (don't know how to describe it without giving it away) that was part of my worldbuilding. And it made a rather big deal of it, too. I hadn't even realized that what I had written (a minor side aspect in my novel, really) could be such a novelty...I was a bit bummed but decided to leave it in anyway.

Have you ever spontaneously incorporated something that recently happened to you in your writing ?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
No, I don't incorporate the event into my writing, but I do pretend my characters are doing something similar later on when I'm bored.

Have you ever had a series or story for multiple years only to get rid of it? What did it feel like?

Robots

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of, as a child I spent years writing a long, weird Lord Of The Rings fanfiction story that went nowhere. In retrospect it felt very natural, at some point you just thought less and less about it and eventually grew out of it.

Have you ever filled out an online personality test for one of your characters ?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I've come close to it, but I don't laugh easily. I might think it's funny, but I have never laughed out loud at something written before.

Have you ever saw something in a store and thought your character would buy that?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of. I've identified things a character will need for a certain activity and checked them out in the store so I can accurately describe them.and how they are used.

​Have you ever met someone you thought looked exactly how you pictured your character looking?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Well, I don't know if this counts, but once I saw a cat that looks like my character when they turn into a their cat-form.

Have you ever based a story off of a dream?