• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader - YA Historical Fiction with Adventurist Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahRowlandsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 74,000 word manuscript that's currently with an editor.

Short Synopsis: Mary Ripley spends her days sneaking around the underground servants' passage, eavesdropping on the suspicious maids, and trying not to think about why her grandfather entrusted to her (an 18-year-old spoiled brat) his entire island estate. Since her grandfather's demise, Mary has developed a rather unfortunate demeanor and distrusts all who surround her. Even as she falls for Edward Maxwell, the black-eyed attorney, Mary suspects his intentions are deceptive. When she overhears Edward's plot to con her out of her inheritance, she flees. On her way, Mary discovers a beautiful, secluded glen inhabited by Irish fugitives, one of whom attracts Mary and invites her to live with him. She learns how they became fugitives and at the same time realizes her own troubles aren't so different from theirs. As the Irish begin to help her understand why her grandfather left her his estate, Edward finds her and forces her to return with him. When she refuses to comply with his dastardly wishes, he reveals she has also inherited the glen and he will evict its inhabitants. Mary must decide what is more important – protecting herself or protecting her new home and friends.

Genre: Young Adult Historical Fiction with Adventurist Spin
Requested Feedback:
(1) I can take harsh criticism!
(2) I'd like someone to read and evaluate the manuscript as to:
a) pace: does it keep you interested?
b) character arc: do my characters go through a believable change?
c) do the storylines make sense?
(3) I am looking for tips on how to improve believable dialogue.
Publishing: I am currently research agents. I don't wish to self-publish.
Credentials: I feel comfortable working with any knowledgeable person and greatly appreciate the help!

sierrawrites13

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting! I'd be interested in seeing a chapter or two to consider beta reading. I haven't beta read before (aside from necessary college peer critiques), but I'm an active reader and willing to help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.