Come back Existentialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Do they still make Gauloises?

Don't know. I was a little young for the cultural tides of Existentialism. For example, I read Husserl before I saw Funny Face (where a bookish Audrey Hepburn learns to prefer Fred Astaire to younger bearded men with guitars).

Last edited:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I bet Simone de Beauvoir would have an existentialist crisis seeing her name written that way.

:e2faint:

She had all her crises when she was six (her autobiography is intense and wonderful).

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Maxx, please reduce the size of that image to no more than 400x400.

Also, the idea of existentialism being a retro pop culture sensation is either an absurdist fanfare on pop culture or a dirge for existentialism. Or the other way around.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Fallow should lead to fertile yields. Or "I am pursued by imaginary lobsters, therefore I might be Sartre."

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I still think of them fondly. Being and Nothingness is definitely much more funny than Being and Time.

Eh, even Sartre gave up on radical freedom by the time he'd started writing The Critique of Dialectical Reason. Post-structuralism has kinda killed existentialism, which is sad, because I wish I were responsible for everything that happened to me.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I think, therefore I drink, therefore I think, therefore I drink...em...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
:sleepy: Someone call me if Structuralism makes a comeback... That's what I wanted to write my thesis on, but structuralism had just finished going out of fashion and my topic proposal got groans and eyerolls rather than the slightest bit of interest.

thewonder

Registered
Reaction score
I occasionally refer to myself as an Existentialist, though, like the Existentialists, I often consider for this to be a misnomer.

I've also been on the lookout for some Gauloises, though I actually got that idea because of that they're the cigarettes that Winona Ryder's character in Girl, Interrupted says that she smokes because of that they were the chosen cigarette of the French resistance.

I'm also interested in starting a Situationist inspired Jangle Pop band called "The French Resistance", and, so, if you like CD86 and Guy Debord, hmu.

Reactions: Unimportant
Status
Not open for further replies.