• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta for 75K contemporary fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

auntypsychotic

TWENTY-TWO A DAY
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to beta-read my contemporary fantasy novel. Word count is 74K and it's been through a grammar/spelling edit and a style/content edit and polish.

I'm looking to make it better so direct, constructive criticism is what I need although I'd like to avoid a gut-ripping if possible. Humor is also appreciated.

After my last edit cut down the word count, I think it is rather short for a novel. I'd like some suggestions as to where I might add more content. I have some ideas as to what to add but am not clear on where it would be most effective or how to do it without disrupting the flow of the narrative.

In it I address issues of mental illness, homelessness, being a veteran (specifically being a woman veteran) and nontraditional family structure. There is some swearing but no other "adult content". Maybe next time.:)

It's been out to a beta twice before but after 6 months that person went "radio silent" just totally blew me off. A second person said he would do it but I have yet to hear from him since I sent him my work. Maybe it's a piece of garbage but even hearing that would be better than hearing nothing.

Needless to say, I'm a little gun shy now but still willing to jump into beta waters.

Last edited:

M.S. Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Your book sounds interesting. Are you willing to do a swap? I just finished writing a fantasy novel (77K words, more in the line of Salvatore than Tolkien :)) and I need beta-readers. So if you're up for a swap, let me know, either here or by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.