• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When did "based on" become "based off"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how and when "explodes" became "asplodes," for instance. The first time I ran across it (playing WoW a few years back)., I assumed the person didn't know how to spell explodes, and my fingers twitched. But I've seen it often enough now to know there's got to be a reason for it, probably some pop culture reference I missed.

That's just one of those intentional misspellings, like when I write it 'bunneh' instead of bunny. I do believe 'asplode' is mimicking a hispanic accent, but I have no idea why or where it came from. I just saw it once and thought it was silleh, and I likes me some silleh :greenie

Kallithrix is right - they are definitely American English! The other one that really annoys me is when they write fit instead of fitted, i.e. it fit me.

Or 'drug' instead of dragged. That just grates on my braincells.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Kallithrix is right - they are definitely American English! The other one that really annoys me is when they write fit instead of fitted, i.e. it fit me.
To me, 'fit' is a slightly different verb to 'fitted'.

'My tailor fitted my pants well.'
'My pants fit me well.'

Sorta like the difference between 'hanged' and 'hung'.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
My pet peeves have been 'different than' and now 'different to' and another one is using 'around' for 'about' - as in 'what are your thoughts around that?'

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile I was gobsmacked to learn that American English doesn't have the word "dodgy"

Really? We're talking about something that seems suspicious or flaky, right? (e.g., that dodgy vanity press) I've seen it among Americans.

The one that really drives me batty is people using "insure" when they mean "ensure". Are you taking out a monetary policy in case of its failure? I don't mind it as much in informal conversation, but I see professional copy that does this!

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"should of" as in "You should of done that." I've seen that in company correspondence.

A lot of these things are caused by people who transcribe verbal communications phonetically.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Even people on writing boards use the language incorrectly. I wouldn't go hauling out the 'based off of' for your own personal use too quickly.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one that really drives me batty is people using "insure" when they mean "ensure".

True story of my first edit for hire. Back in the early '90s when this company was a home shop, the instructions for their pricey matches container read: ". . .to insure no explosion . . .

I wrote them a note explaining "ensure" was a better spelling for their meaning, and they sent me a free canister with ENSURE engraved on it.

match_box.jpg

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
"should of" as in "You should of done that." I've seen that in company correspondence.

A lot of these things are caused by people who transcribe verbal communications phonetically.

And by people who don't care enough about language to even have a clue that they're getting it wrong.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
This use of "off of" is a British colloquialism. It becomes "offa" in some dialects, e.g. "get it offa me!". It's not new at all. It might not even be limited to British dialects, but I don't recall ever hearing Americans use it.

I hear and read it all the time, and I've lived in several different parts of the US.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The ones that are causing me the biggest headache at the moment are the end-of-sentence fillers that people put into their conversation. I swear, if I start to see it between dialogue tags I'm moving to an island of solitariness.

AND STUFF LIKE THAT.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
To me, one-to-one and one-on-one don't mean the same thing. One-to-one would be a conversation involving only two people, usually about something private or secret, or at least implying that they don't want anyone else to be present. One-on-one suggests a contest or fight where two people compete or fight against each other without help from anyone else.

Exactly.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, it's standard US usage. :greenie

Dictionary says either is fine.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
My pet peeves have been 'different than' and now 'different to' and another one is using 'around' for 'about' - as in 'what are your thoughts around that?'

I looked this up a while back. Different than and different from are both heavily used in the U.S., while different to and different from are both heavily used in the U.K.

As for around for about, I've certainly encountered this usage un the U.S. "I'll be there around eight." I never thought of it as wrong. Feels like standardized colloquial speech to me. I'd say it's more common than saying, "I'll be there about eight."

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Idioms are strange, and problems arise when someone unfamiliar as such tries to correct the grammar or stylistic elements therein.

I'm still trying to figure out how and when "explodes" became "asplodes," for instance. The first time I ran across it (playing WoW a few years back)., I assumed the person didn't know how to spell explodes, and my fingers twitched. But I've seen it often enough now to know there's got to be a reason for it, probably some pop culture reference I missed.

That's just one of those intentional misspellings, like when I write it 'bunneh' instead of bunny. I do believe 'asplode' is mimicking a hispanic accent, but I have no idea why or where it came from. I just saw it once and thought it was silleh, and I likes me some silleh :greenie
The first time I encountered "asplodes" for "explodes" was on the semi-retired Homestar Runner site. There's a game called
"Strongbad Zone", a parody of the early 3D line arcade games based around the character Strongbad. When your base gets shot, Strongbad's head appears and says "Your head a splode", with the words appearing on screen. Over the years, it's morphed into "asplode".

Even people on writing boards use the language incorrectly. I wouldn't go hauling out the 'based off of' for your own personal use too quickly.
sez u

Status
Not open for further replies.