Does anyone know how evidence of rape works when it comes to a rape kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
I don't think the shower is so much a trope as it is a perfectly natural response for a victim - they want to get clean, physically and mentally. They want to wash away the memory, the feelings, the everything. I don't know that there is anything more visual (or accurate) than a shower.

I don't know that the three day rule is hard and fast. You may be better off soft pedaling the exact timing and just indicate time passed, the victim showered, and there is not sufficient evidence.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If one of the victims in my story, happens to shower out of feeling sick after the rape, and wanted to get any possible STD germs off of her from the assailant, would this come off as a natural mistake for the victim to make or will the character just come off as stupid and implausible to the reader?

This is far more common than any district attorney would like. You need to start digging into the psychology of a rape and being raped. Not uncommon for the victim, male or female, to feel that it was somehow their fault. They shower to get rid of the stigma, which destroys evidence, and they wait to report the act until they have talked with others and finally processed it all into the fact that reporting is the way for them. The majority of rapes still go unreported, even after all the awareness and media attention that's existed for years.

What do you need for your story? If you need to lose evidence and have a case unable to proceed, a shower, douching and a delay before reporting can do this. If you need it to be touch and go, have the above happen but your victim not report until they hear about the next victim (there will be another). Combined evidence may help the case get to trial, or for the rapist to plead out. Think Bill Cosby. No rape kits, no physical evidence and a long time passing.

So, write this as you need for your plot.

Jeff

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think the shower is so much a trope as it is a perfectly natural response for a victim - they want to get clean, physically and mentally. They want to wash away the memory, the feelings, the everything. I don't know that there is anything more visual (or accurate) than a shower.
I agree that it's natural. But being natural doesn't preclude being a trope. Not the way I understand trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.