Are there agents who represent in both the CBA and ABA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of my first series which is being published by a CBA (Christian) publisher. I don't have an agent, but I want one. I may want to submit work to a mainstream publisher at some point in the future, and so I'm wary of locking myself in by signing with an agent who only represents within the CBA.

Are there agents who represent work to publishers within both the CBA and the ABA? Are they rare? A little more common? (I'm not really expecting names, but hey, if somebody has some...)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to recommend you try MacGregor Literary but it seems they are not accepting queries at this time. However, there is this blog post from a few years ago that might help you consider a path forward.

However, based on MacGregor Literary, I would say there probably are agents who work in both areas. I would suggest doing a search for agents repping "religious/inspirational" and then check to see where they've sold to find the folks that work with faith-based pubs and mainstream pubs. (And by search, I mean start with QueryTracker if you haven't already.)

Best of luck! :)

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
You can also go to agent query dot com and type in 'Christian' in the top left under genre. About 8 pages come up with agencies that have agents who rep. inspirational work. Don't know how recent the posts are but it will at least give you a list of agencies you can look into that have one or more agents you can query who rep. diverse genres.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you have an account with Publisher's Marketplace (not free, it's like $20 or $25 / month), you can also search through the "Deals" database to see which agents have sold in the Christian market. Then compare their other sales to see if they're diversified.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I actually have a subscription. Do you know any AUTHORS who are pubbed in both? Maybe that's a way to search the deals section. I'd be happy to try. :)

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Several years ago I had a Christian PI series published by a CBA house, then I changed to the general market (along with adopting a new pen name). Chip's been very supportive both times.

ETA: remember the movie, No Country for Old Men? The CBA (at least its fiction arm), has No Place for Any Men. They simply have no idea, none at all, of how to market to that demographic. I don't think that mindset will ever change.

So yeah, I yanked the handle and ejected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.