Western - ? Success

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass on to whoever is still looking at this Western Forum - I haven't been on here for a while. I recently bit the bullet and put together a collection of 10 of my western short stories - almost all the result of prompts here in the western forum and western share your work and followed that with my western novel which also showed up in bits and snippets here - and put them both on Amazon as kindle editions and also hard copy from createspace using my AW Puma name as the author. So, in my opinion, westerns aren't dead. But, definitely not in favor in the usual markets. I don't know whether anyone will buy what I created - but - at least I tried (and didn't give up.) Puma

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the formal Western genre category has become quite marginalized, but Western themes still have wide appeal. Cross-marketing into areas like anthology, literary, Americana, historical etc (as applies) might bring your book to a readership that might not actively seek out Westerns but would enjoy them if they did read them! A book that well written and enjoyable to write, IMHO almost always has a readership somewhere.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for somewhat echoing my thoughts, Veinglory. I put a lot of thought, history, and Americana into the novel, so it isn't a typical shoot 'em up western - but definitely western theme.I enjoyed writing it, and from that standpoint alone, it was well worth it.

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Puma, I'm happy to reading you again on the Western section of this board :)

Aside what veinglory wrote (I agree with him), in my opinion western will never die, and will never die especially in the USA. Because it's your history, because the taming of the West is the roots of America. The genre will always have readers, I see that in your country are published several fiction and nonfiction western books every year. Here in Italy the western has not the same appeal (nonfiction in particular, I just published a book about the violence in the Old West and that's all), but I love it like I were an american.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jonah - Happy to see you too. If I may ask, what's the title of your book and is it in Italian or English? Puma

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
My book is in italian. The title is "Piombo, polvere e sangue. La violenza nella storia del West, 1848-1900" [The translation in english would be: "Lead, dust and blood. The violence in the history of the West, 1848-1900"].

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Tickled - I was able to understand most of your title without the translation - and it's been a long time since I used my romance languages. It sounds interesting. Any one item or incident stand out from the others as more violent?

I didn't post the titles of the two books I have on Amazon now in my first post, so thought I would - #1 is Puma Tales, a collection of short stories including the one I entered in the western contest here a couple years ago and #2, the novel, is The Bawdy House Token. Puma

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
There were many violent facts on the Frontier. I did a research more about the reasons that about the episodes like the OK Corral. But I did a more or less in-depth description of the Holbrook gunfight between Commodore Perry Owens and the Blevinses, just to point out that a gunfight and a gunfighter like the Hollywood's ones really existed.

I checked your books :) I put them in my wishlist, next time I have some money I will buy the anthology (I prefer the tales because it's easier for me to read them in english).

PS. You need to work on covers. I work in publishing and I have a passion for cover-making (I did the cover for a western tales anthology and for a western movie), so if you need an help I would be happy to help you (for free, obviously). Excuse my frankness. Your covers are not bad but are too "plain", they need to stand out, especially If I'm sure that inside them there are great western tales!

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to look up that gunfight on google - not really familiar with it.

Thank you for the cover comments, Jonah - I used photos I'd taken (quite a while ago) and you're right - they are a bit blah. If you would, take a look at the other book I've put on Amazon - Tektonic (hard (fact based) sci-fi), and let me know what you think of that cover. It has a lot more color. I may go back and see whether I can come up with something better for the westerns. Thank you for your comments. Puma

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
"Tektonic" is too plain, too. But the title is good (but you need another font). The problem with the ebook covers is that there are plenty identical, usually same pics and same fonts for the titles. I don't know what software you use to make the covers but I can suggest you to use Photoshop, that has a lot of functions to expand new graphic possibilities. For the fonts, make a search on Google and find those downloadable for free. For the pics, with Google Images you can find photos without copyrights, finding them with the specific reasearch filter.

I have made an example-cover for you; this is a 5 minutes work on Photoshop:

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Poor Puma! I'm sure you didn't pop in here to get your covers critted!

Gotta say though, while the subject's in play, that the first thing I thought when I found your book on Amazon was that while the photo (which I assumed was one of your own) looked good, rugged desert and mountains under the blazing sun, I didn't think the font helped to give much of a Western flavor.

Hope you don't mind my nabbing your cover image just for example's sake and trying something else out:

The font used here is Old Town Regular from 1001freefonts and I put a shadow behind the text to make it stand out a little more. (I use Paint.NET which is free/voluntary donation software, easy to create multiple layers for title, subtitle, shadows, etc.)

How might you feel about that look? Just askin' -- don't feel obliged to agree or anything. Or even respond! It's easy to do if you ever think of a replacement cover.

-Derek

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind at all, Derek - and good to see you on here. Covers are vitally important, so it's a good topic for discussion. I was surprised when I started working on them that the microsoft Wordart on Word is poor on pixels - which is what drove me back to traditional fonts. I like the yellow color of the font you used, Derek - and the total package. Thanks for the info on the freefonts.

Not so keen on the cover you made, Jonah, but that's primarily because I don't feel it gives a good representation of what's inside the book (which you wouldn't know without reading it.) Your cover gives me more of the deep space type of feeling - and Tektonic is very much earth based.

I'm working on getting a fourth novel ready to put up on Amazon and after that I may go back and do some cover fixing. I appreciate your inputs. Puma

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
No mean to give an exactly representation of your book, that cover it's just to let you see how it's possible to make a cover a bit different using the old, dear Photoshop :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thank you for all your input, Jonah. I do like photoshop.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I visited the AW Library this morning and saw that Western still has very few books written by AWers listed, and after checking to make sure self published books were showing up in the library, I posted both of mine. Jonah - even though your book is in Italian, I don't see why you can't put it in the library (near top group of forums). Getting your book out is a big accomplishment - and worth noting. Puma

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Puma, I have followed your advice. I hope the moderators of AW will keep my topic, otherwise they can delete it without problems. I think to be the first italian user to put a book on AW Library :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw your post, Jonah - very impressive. If anything, the moderators may ask you to post a translation, but I don't think they'll delete it. Very impressive being possibly the first ever Italian writing poster to put a book up. Hat's off!

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
Two comments:

1) in my area, new book stores shelve few or no Westerns. However, used book stores usually have a few feet of Westerns in a special area, usually at full cover price, no trades, no credits. When I asked one of the store owners about that, they said Westerns were very hard to get and they were able to quickly sell all but the most common ones at full price.

There's a market for Westerns, but it's not being serviced by tradpub.

2) if you go to the new book store and mosey down the Romance aisles you'll find a *lot* of Romance/Westerns. And it also seems to be a booming subcategory under Erotica.

These types of Westerns are probably of little interest to people looking for traditional Westerns.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting observations, Dave. I know people are interested in westerns - one of my friends spent the winter reading Zane Grey and other traditional writers. In my opinion, western is not even acknowledged by the powers that be - but it's not the only category of fiction being overlooked. But then - I may be biased : )

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think Western will see an increase in popularity due to the "new weird" and books like Emma Bull's Territory, Laura Ann Gilman's Silver on the Road, and Elizabeth Bear's Karen Memory.

I notice that libraries are still buying Westerns as well, and that's an important market.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good points, Admin. I suspect also some books that might have been classified as western fifty years ago are now showing up in other genres. Am I right or off base on that assumption? Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Updated observation: we had a community fair and I had copies of my 4 recently self-published books for sale - western novel, collection of 10 western short stories, hard core sci-fi (geology), and one literary/mainstream/can't quite classify. Guess which books moved the best? You got it - both westerns. That says something.