*Sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the last person who has any room to be accusing anyone of anything. But you know, it's within the realm of possibility, given all of our various crazy senses of humor.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the playful banter, lighthearted levity and jocularity by interjecting something serious to the thread, but hey, that's what I do.

In the beginning, back when this thread was spawned from a rare self-described rant by Mac, our Illustrious Supreme Leader, she said this:

I'm going to rant just a bit.

I loathe presidential election years, because this kind of situation happens over and over and over, and we have months more to look forward to.

I hate that the politics room is currently skewed so far to the left - to the point where, if there was ANY way I could do so, credibly, I'd be posting from a much more conservative point of view than I typically vote. I've seen the political pendulum swing back and forth in here, over the years, and honestly when I feel best about the room is when I'm getting equal amounts of hate mail from both ends of the spectrum complaining about our obvious bias against [liberals][conservatives].

I'm not getting that mail from the left-wingers in here, right now. I'm getting the sneering, smug, self-congratulatory sorts of messages that make me wince and want to distance myself from the left-wing, too, honestly.

Where on earth are the common sense, don't-spend-more-than-you-make, mind-yer-own-beeswax, live-and-let-live, support-small-businesses, reward-entrepreneurship sorts of politicians? We don't seem to have any, on either side, any more.

How stupid do we, as Americans, want to get? Do we WANT to have a system where everyone we can possibly elect is already bought and paid for by multinational corporate conglomerates, because those are the only people who can afford to run? Do we really want to be ruthlessly strip-mined for our money, our knowledge, and our labor by those same corporations?

On a level, I can't blame people who want to vote for Trump just because they think he's not a puppet with his strings being pulled by corporate overlords -- I personally think they're missing that the guy IS a corporate puppet master -- he's apparently just decided to cut out having to pay for middle-men, like Senators and press-secretaries and such.

I can't blame people who want to burn the whole system down, either. They don't feel represented, because guess what? They're not represented. None of us are -- not really. Oh, they throw us a few bones: Same-sex marriage? Sure. Makes for a more stable tax base, and honesty, hardly anyone really cares anymore, besides the ultra-religious. Go to war on birth-control and abortion, and talk about Jesus a lot? You betcha -- at least, if it'll make folks feel like there's someone in government actually fighting for the things they care about, too.

Meanwhile, the more ground we're actually losing, economically, educationally, socially, culturally, and artistically.

Ugh. I hate presidential election years in the politics room.

Cause meet effect:

I believe that this is the ultimate result of the Women's Lib movement. They demanded equality of the sexes. So, this is it. If a guy wants to use their bathroom to oogle, one can only say they asked for it in the first place.

The guy wants to see what he wants to see. He may also want to touch, feel, and interact with what he sees, feels and touches. Sounds like equality to me.

I didn't ask for it. they did. Marched in the street. burned their bras, etc.

Welcome to equality is what I say.

You wont catch me going in with them, but I don't see how they can object.

Here's the thing about Respecting Your Fellow Writer. It takes a concerted effort to respect some of our fellow writers because frankly, some of them don't write very well, don't express themselves very well and what they are expressing is mostly brain rot.

My spidey-sense starts tingling when I see a post like the quoted one from a first-timer who joined with seemingly the sole intention of making a provocative post and then vanishing like a fart in a strong breeze. In my less than humble opinion, the aforementioned post belongs on a misogynist Men's Rights movement forum. The only purpose of the post is to spew stereotypical, ignorant and dated hatred of women (burning bras? srlsy?)

One post. Boom goes the dynamite. Other posters see the explosion and the resultant chaos. Where's the newbie? Who knows? Why'd they blow up the thread with an outrageously offensive post? Why not?
Some posters just want to see the thread burn. :flamethrower

To repeat: P&CE needs conservative voices and conservatives need to feel they are welcomed here. This should be taken as a given. However, talking trash about whatever group you feel like dumping is not a conservative principle.

The problem is not with the respondents to the offending post. The problem lies with the originator of the offending post who seemingly has no interest in engaging with others, clarifying or amplifying his point, or even responding to queries. The offender is only there to be like Michael Jackson: they Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.

Respect is a two-way street and you get what you give. If your intent is to pull a drive-by post as you unload verbal vitriol on women, that's not very nice because Absolute Write has a lot of women participating, discussing, posting, debating, engaging, contributing and it doesn't mean you're being a white knight when someone comes along and dumps all over an entire gender for the unforgivable sin of demanding the rights befitting a free human being.

We should always strive to be helpful to new posters whom may be unfamiliar with the way we're expected to conduct ourselves and engage with one other. The new poster should strive to be open and willing to accept friendly advice when its offered. If they don't they're probably not here to debate. They're here to troll.

Trolls deserve no respect. :troll They'll get none from me.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is not with the respondents to the offending post. The problem lies with the originator of the offending post who seemingly has no interest in engaging with others, clarifying or amplifying his point, or even responding to queries.

And you know what? You can read the post Williebee posted in thread, and let mods moderate. This is what Williebee posted:

Mod Note:

There's that thought in the "Sigh" post that comes to mind. Here's a chance to welcome a newcomer and show them how we wish the place proceeded.

We've had almost enough criticisms of the first post to qualify as piling on. So, maybe we move on and address the OP?

With my thank, folks.

Which your post in this thread is emphatically is not doing.

It is not helpful. It is not adding to the quality of the conversation.

It's not even saying anything interesting; it's stating the obvious, with a dollop of rhetorical joy juice.

Mac or Williebee will likely reopen this when they're able to; don't regard this as permanent.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Respect is not a "two way street." Never has been. It's a one way street with two destinations, others and yourself. If disrespecting others helps you respect yourself, the problem is not with others.

Yeah, this can stay closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.