Act length no-no's?

lalyil

The Lukewarm
Registered
Reaction score
Hello playwrights,

I've only even written screenplays until this point. But a little over a year ago I started working front of house in a very large theatre in London, and since then I've started thinking in terms of stage much more than camera/screen.

I had an idea for a play I'm following up on. Most of it will take place in the same two places (possibly, all of it), but for the start, I have a very short (5-10 minute) scene that will take place in one location.
Then the next scene is 5-10 minutes again, and then another one back in the first location, and then back to the second (but this time we stay there longer).

Basically, what happens when the case is two locations and we jump from one to the other?
It's perfectly stageable, as I see it, as many plays I've seen in our theatre. Though my acts at the beginning are relatively short. My worry is that readers won't respond well to it, which is what I was mostly wondering about.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Are you concerned about readers or viewers? Because the effect may be different for each.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Minimal locations, ie settings is a good thing for newbie playwrites. But quick cuts between scenes on a regular basis is tough to pull off on stage. The logistics may be difficult. If you can, have a group of friends (bribed with alcohol) perform a pseudo table read for you so you can get a better handle on the pacing, the logistics, the interest.

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
If you only have 2 locations and the actors don't have to go from one to the other for the short scenes, you could have both locations on the stage at the same time, one beside the other. You simply light up each one in turn, keeping the other one dark.