Can you buy ready-made meringue nests in American supermarkets?

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, good people of AW!

Another random from me as I draw closer to the end of the Big Edit...

Can you buy ready-made meringue nests in American supermarkets?

I mean like these:
http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/472/5000119162472/IDShot_540x540.jpg

I found:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Miss-Meringue-Meringue-Nests-3.2oz-Pack-of-12/39800602
Sadly they're no longer available (does that mean they were available in 2009?!)

You can buy these nests at any reasonable UK supermarket (I'm lazy as although I can make meringues I tend to buy 'em).

In the story one of my characters is making a dessert for her English husband and didn't have time to make meringues from scratch, so she confesses to buying the ready-made version. Then I realised this might not exist on the western side of the Pond. It looks like they do/did exist, but are they widely available... or will she have to find the time to make some from scratch??

Thanks in anticipation,

LPH.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
They are a thing that exists, but at least in my part of the country (Northeast), they are not readily available. My regular supermarket doesn't carry them, but I would imagine a high end/specialty one might.

I do know that the bakery in my parents neighborhood does sell them unfilled. Meringue powder is pretty common here too, if you don't want her to end up with a fridge full of egg yokes.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
They are a specialty item, as CoffeeBeans said. One upscale grocery near me sells them, but they don't always have them in stock. AFAIK, none of the bakeries in my city sells meringues (and they are one of my husband's favorite desserts, so I have looked).

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers for the info. I'll investigate the meringue powder option (which would only need a quick tweak to the dialogue) or whether there's a posh bakery in the area* that might stock the unfilled version.

* A partially-fictionalised version of South Lake Tahoe. Sod it, if there isn't one I'll make one up and call it Stateline Patisserie or something similar! ;)

p.s. Would somewhere like Trader Joe's** (droooooooool...) stock something like meringue nests, for future reference?

** We NEED this place in the UK, even if there isn't one at Tahoe.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
p.s. Would somewhere like Trader Joe's** (droooooooool...) stock something like meringue nests, for future reference?

I :heart: Trader Joe's, but no, the one by me does not stock the nests. It does stock meringues of the normal "kiss" variety though. I think they do stock the sponge cake shells by me though. (actually, so does the regular market.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm somewhat foodie (although not much of a dessert guy) and I've never encountered them.

Trader Joe's is the type of place that would have them, and larger cities have all sorts of specialty ethnic bakeries. I would not be surprised to find a UK or Irish themed bakery selling them.

ETA: Carson City has a Trader Joe's, accoring to Google, which loves us and would never lie.

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, she went to Carson City the day before, so I could have her mention she bought them in Trader Joe's. I double checked - there's definitely one there and another in Reno. Double yum. I've been to Tahoe twice, but only did a quick drive around Reno and Carson City as what little happens in these two places is mostly inside buildings.

And:
http://www.traderjoes.com/images/fearless-flyer/uploads/article-1692/12312-vanilla-meringues.png
She bought some of these bad lads! ;) She'd be crushing them anyway so it doesn't really matter whether they're the nests or not.

Cheers me dears!

p.s. Found confirmation that TJ's in Carson City was open in 2009:
http://aroundcarson.com/2006/12/08/trader_joes_opens/

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have once or twice seen meringue shells in a supermarket (CT), but not recently, and never consistently.

But if she wants to crush them, it's much easier to find meringue cookies (kisses) - they're widely available in supermarkets & Trader Joes, & come in flavors & colors as well as plain white.

Or she can get her meringues from Amazon. Handy if she's the kind of person who might keep meringues in the pantry just in case. (They have a VERY long shelf-life.) Not so good if it's a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised you can buy them on Amazon. I thought amazon.co.uk was good until I perused amazon.com -- there's some seriously good stuff on there (American bakeware and kitchen bits are so much better than ours).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Cheers for the info. I'll investigate the meringue powder option (which would only need a quick tweak to the dialogue) or whether there's a posh bakery in the area* that might stock the unfilled version.

* A partially-fictionalised version of South Lake Tahoe. Sod it, if there isn't one I'll make one up and call it Stateline Patisserie or something similar! ;)

I've never noticed them at our Trader Joes (I'm in Sacramento), but I've never looked for them either. TJs is somewhat intermittent with the desserts they carry, so I could see them having something like that occasionally but not all the time. I frequently purchase empty pastry shells (pepperidge farm) from our local Raley's grocer (I think they also have Raley's up in South Lake Tahoe), but I've never noticed meringue shells/nests. But I've never looked for them either, or really thought of them as something that might exist. My experience with meringue is limited to an occasional lemon meringue pie, made with real eggs, and with having (as someone else said) a ton of yolks to find use for after.

I'm surprised there's not a Trader Joe's in South Lake Tahoe, but store distributions are funny things sometimes. They do indeed have stores in Carson City and Reno. Carson City is a much easier drive from SLT.

Last edited:

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I have never, ever seen those in any of the stores I shop in. But then, I'm from the South and buying a ready-made meringue would likely require me to turn in my Southern Girl membership card.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a major city and while I've seen them around, it'd def. a specialty item, not in most stores. I've also never seen them in a bakery. I recently saw a bakery selling like, nekkid pavlovas, but I've never seen meringue nests to fill at home at one.

The meringue cookies, as above, are *everyplace*, from regular market to gourmet to TJ's to the corner deli. Several varieties, flavours, brands.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised you can buy them on Amazon. I thought amazon.co.uk was good until I perused amazon.com -- there's some seriously good stuff on there (American bakeware and kitchen bits are so much better than ours).

But Amazon.com also has Marmite, which argues against your claim of "seriously good stuff"

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Marmite is straight from Satan's larder. Urgh! No wonder it got banned in Denmark. ;)

I do like making homemade meringues, but those ready-made ones are so convenient AND available in pretty much every supermarket over here. My mum recently discovered a recipe for making meringues in the microwave and they're delicious. Might have to investigate that one.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The meringue cookies, as above, are *everyplace*, from regular market to gourmet to TJ's to the corner deli. Several varieties, flavours, brands.

Yeah. I mean, there's no reason she can't buy them at Trader Joe's if she just happens to be there, but if she made a special trip to TJ just for that, it'd be sort of weird.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! No, she went to Carson City for various other reasons and also needed to stock up on groceries (this is referred to during a conversation, rather than written as an actual scene (yaaaaaawwwnn)).

Saying that, Trader Joe's is such an orgy of yumminess I'd quite happily get on a 9+ hour flight to indulge myself...

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The kiss type of meringues are often available from regular grocery stores, not just Trader Joe. I've seen them at Job Lots stores and the Christmas Tree Shop also.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
My mother says she think she's seen them at our local Wal*Mart. So if she knows what they are then we must have had them around here at some point in time. I personally haven't seen them, but then, I haven't gone looking for them either. We live in Western New York.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked and shopped a lot of retail stores from Texas to Utah to Arizona to California and I've never seen a store carrying them.