Poetry vs Poetry Critique

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm curious what the difference is between posting a poem here in Poetry vs posting it in Poetry Critique. I know that the Critique forum is (duh) for feedback, but I notice that poems posted here often get feedback also. Is the idea that poems posted in Poetry are finished?

Thanks - I've been on the site for a while but I rarely venture out of Poetry Critique, I guess mostly because I'm shy, but I'd like to start poking around other forums.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
two differences:

First, the crit forum is password protected, so posting there does not take away first publication rights.

The main forum is not password-protected. So if you are thinking of trying to publish your poetry, you may not want it in the main forum.

Second -- putting your poem in critique signals that you are actively looking for feedback.

Posting in the main forum signals that you are happy with your poem and are simply sharing it. However, people are welcome to comment and/or offer crits if they like.

Chapbook is also for sharing but putting it there is a signal you don't want comments. Also, it is password protected, so you keep your first publication rights.

I usually put my work in the main forum because I don't care about the first publication rights -- I just want people to be able to read them without the bother of putting in a password. I welcome comments, but I leave it up to the reader if they want to provide them. Every once in a while, when I'd like some specific help with a poem, I put it in the crit room, but not often.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well said!

First, the crit forum is password protected, so posting there does not take away first publication rights.

Based on Medievalist's post here, your publication rights might be fine anyway, as long as the version you posted isn't final. But worth checking with your prospective publisher.