stirring breeze.

The earth spun
like a mad carousel
and dizzied me
with memories.

cjtait

Registered
Reaction score
I love the simple imagery of this poem...
However, I curious as to how this imagery of things old, things in a potential state of decay (memories, acquiesced, leaves surrendering to breezes) connects with the title? Forgive my potential ignorance???

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Damn, and I had the olive fork all ready for you.

It's a lovely, delicate thing, just like the moment it describes. I don't see decay in the images, at least not at (heh) first blush. I see the leaves green and alive on the tree, the breeze fresh and rousing, and memories as thrilling as the carousel ride.

But that said, there is your title -- which implies that this fragile, poignant moment might not be all it seems at first blush -- and the first two lines, which tell us that her acquiescence was fleeting.

Then too, the word "acquiesce " implies a certain reluctance -- going along with something quietly, but not enthusiastically. It is not quite agreement, not quite surrender -- and here it is only for a a sliver of a moment, so it is temporary.

And of course, I suppose all leaves do decay eventually, the passing breeze dies, and the carousel must stop sometime.

I would reconsider the olive fork in light of that, but the poem is too lovely for me to insist that the ephemeral sliver of an uplifting moment you've provided continue into eternity (particularly as no uplifting moments ever do). You may keep your eyes.

Last edited:

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I liked this. I think it's about how one feels when his/her loved one blushes.

There are two people. One person is blushing because of another person.

The one who blushes is as helpless to control it as leaves stirring under wind.

The effect of that blush is happiness on the other person's face like he's excited(yes, she smiled at me, yes, yes, yes) like a mad carousel.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful.

BTW, tt's nice to see you stretching your legs a bit in your recent poems. I'm enjoying the revival.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
like an olive fork pointy?

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
this poem slows me down. in a good way.
agree with wonderactivitst: it does capture a breezy, delicate moment.

I want to write like this.

why are you tired of yourself?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I often tire of myself, and small wonder -- I've been stuck with me 24/7/365 for decades. The rest of you are fortunate to only get me in dribs and drabs.

I never find William tiresome, however. And I am indebted to his poetry for many a refreshing break from myself.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
beautiful. Like Sara, I am enjoying the variety.

It's a familiar voice; I know it's you, but it's different.

How very faceted, you are. Same gem, different angle, different light.

Nice.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Very cute! :3

It definitely feels like a brief romantic moment. It's the moment where the crush reluctantly agrees to a dinner, or even to a date. Or maybe a little coffee get together...which can lead to something more (romantic).

*gasp* Maybe she was reluctant because they were originally rivals, or enemies, or something. Maybe star crossed lovers, whose families disapprove of such an affair! :0 *gasps again*

The POV character is just so happy his (or her!) crush finally said "Yes"!

The memories line stumped me for a bit. It could mean the POV character is thinking of the times he remembers being with his crush (in a platonic way), or remembers their past moments with said crush. Ooh, maybe they were exes! And they're re-connecting again! *sparkly eyes*

Or, an alternative is that it could be the POV character is older (or the crush/loved one has died) and the POV character is just reminiscing about that early romantic encounter.

(Lol @ me interpretating multiple poems as old people constantly reminiscing about the past. XD )

Last edited: