What did you have for breakfast?

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm really interested, so please share!

Me: Plain greek yogurt with fresh cut up pieces of pineapple thrown in. It was so delicious, but two hours later, I was hungry again, so I ate my lunch, which was last night's dinner leftovers.

How about you?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
My usual two cups of coffee and cigs . . . oh, and today I had homemade fudge.

And, fudge and Diet Coke for lunch.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This morning I had overnight oatmeal -- last night I mixed up some oats, chia seeds, brown sugar, yogurt, milk, & frozen strawberries, and this morning I plucked it from the fridge & took it to work with me. Yummy! (Though I accidentally didn't use enough chia - it usually gives the mixture a nice thick texture, but today's batch was more liquid than expected.) Consumed with black tea & milk.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Plain oatmeal and orange juice. Like every other day...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Perfect scrambled eggs on top of toast.

My breakfasts are pretty boring. But dinner was alligator tail, shrimp, hush puppies, and collard greens.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
greek yogurt, a mandarin orange, a homemade bran muffin, and coffee.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually eat breakfast. Just coffee.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Scrambled eggs with cheese (extra sharp cheddar) and buttered grits. Buttered buttermilk biscuits with mayhaw jelly. Sage sausage and crispy jowl bacon. Hash browns with garlic and onion. Coffee and cream. Orange juice, and a clementine.

The alternate breakfast is cathead buttermilk biscuits and tomato gravy seasoned with the drippings of deer sausage (or in season, fried squirrel). Coffee and cream, tomato juice with a wedge of lemon, then another buttered biscuit covered in local cane syrup or drizzled with black strap molasses. Deer sausage links, and a fried or poached egg on the side...need the runny bits to mingle with the syrup and biscuit.

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Scrambled eggs with cheese (extra sharp cheddar) and buttered grits. Buttered buttermilk biscuits with mayhaw jelly. Sage sausage and crispy jowl bacon. Hash browns with garlic and onion. Coffee and cream. Orange juice, and a clementine.

The alternate breakfast is cathead buttermilk biscuits and tomato gravy seasoned with the drippings of deer sausage (or in season, fried squirrel). Coffee and cream, tomato juice with a wedge of lemon, then another buttered biscuit covered in local cane syrup or drizzled with black strap molasses. Deer sausage links, and a fried or poached egg on the side...need the runny bits to mingle with the syrup and biscuit.

Interesting. I had to google like five things on your list because I was unfamiliar with them. You're kidding about the fried squirrel, though, right? If not, I'm not judging, just curious!

All I had today was a toasted egg bagel with cream cheese and a giant coffee. Things are pretty hectic at my house in the morning, and I usually bring something I can eat as soon as I get to work.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quart and a half of black tea with milk. I'm not kidding. And that's a standard breakfast for me.

My lunch was actually more like breakfast. I had two eggs, poached medium, a piece of lightly buttered whole grain bread, two Dr. Praeger spinach pancakes and a dozen grape tomatoes.

Although now I'm wanting rwhegwood's breakfast. Either of them.

Last edited:

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm serious. Squirrel actually tastes like chicken, quite a bit. A brown gravy made from squirrel is known locally as tootlum gravy. No idea of the etymology unless it's related to flatulence. The bones are solid and hard though not like a chicken bone. My brother likes fried squirrel heads...crack them between the teeth, suck out the brains, pry the jaws open and bite out the tongue, the friss off the flesh from the face (not much there), and have another. I don't eat organ meats, so not interested in brains for breakfast myself. The breakfast above is a typical farm breakfast meant to sustain you through heavy labor till dinnertime (noonish). But it's so good, sometimes you don't need a reason to eat it.

Occasionally instead of coffee...or together with I will make some yaupon tea. I prefer the leaves prepared matcha style in a french press and flavored with a little fruit juice, like peach (terrere) or mint. Most like it hot, I preferred it iced. More caffeine than tea, not so much as coffee, a bit of theobromine to quell the jitters and elevate the mood, tons of antioxidants and cancer fighting flavonoids. Tastes a lot like green tea, unless roasted, and that brings out some delicate notes of other flavors, like chocolate...but..among them a hint of tobacco, more pronounced when the brew is strong and hot, which I don't like so much, which is why I prefer it cold. Two cups medium strength= best caffeine buzz ever. Alert focused, calm, and mildly euphoric...that's the theobromine.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee. The kids had cereal but we didn't have time for the usual weekend fry up.

Would usually have bacon egg sausage mushrooms and toast or fried bread and may be fried tomato and hash browns and black pudding. Depends what's available.

Week days I don't usually eat till midday.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins. Cafe con leche. An orange.

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Rwhegwood, yaupon tea sounds amazing. I'm going to see if there's a place around me I can try it, before I make it homemade.

Just had French toast, 3 slices, on wheat bread, made with almond milk and cinnamon. And coffee, of course.

That ought to fill me up for 2 hours.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fruit salad, fat-free natural yogurt and a drizzle of Manuka honey. Washed down with green tea. Yum!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee and English muffin with Nutella.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
This article made me think of this thread:

Few things are as painless to prepare as cereal. Making it requires little more than pouring something (a cereal of your choice) into a bowl and then pouring something else (a milk of your choice) into the same bowl. Eating it requires little more than a spoon and your mouth. The food, which Americans still buy $10 billion of annually, has thrived over the decades, at least in part, because of this very quality: its convenience.And yet, for today's youth, cereal isn't easy enough.

On Monday, the New York Times published a story about the breakfast favorite, and the most disconcerting part was this:

Almost 40 percent of the millennials surveyed by Mintel for its 2015 report said cereal was an inconvenient breakfast choice because they had to clean up after eating it.

Heh. This morning, as I ate my oatmeal, I found myself wondering why people bought instant oatmeal when it is so easy to cook regular oatmeal in the microwave. (Half a cup of oats, one cup of water. nuke for 2 to 3 minutes. add whatever you like -- raisins, milk, brown sugar, etc. Bam, you're done.) It's much cheaper, it's really no more trouble, in my opinion it tastes better, and it's better for you because you can control the sugar and because regular oats have more fiber than the pulverized instant kind. So why buy those sad little packets?

But now I realize that even the sad little packets are too much trouble for a lot of people. Even opening a box and eating cold cereal is too much trouble. That's just so sad.

I won't even buy "too busy" as an explanation. It takes a minute to wash a bowl; less to stick it in a dishwasher, if you have one. I had time to pour a bowl of freaking cereal when I was working 70-80 hour weeks, for pity's sake. Indeed, making coffee and pouring a bowl of cereal at home actually takes less time than standing in line at Starbucks to buy a muffin and coffee, in my experience. So -- is it pure laziness? It's got to be, right?

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Don't be sad Cass, I really don't think it's laziness. There's way more to it than that. Although, I'm pretty sure that the 40 percent of millennials they surveyed who don't eat cereal for breakfast because they have to clean up afterwards were males :)

As far as the survey, and the results, eh, I think it's flawed.

First off, I won't defend breakfast cereal as a good, nutritional choice. It's low in protein, usually high in sugar, and high in carbs. It's simply not filling and in fact, eating something like this in the am can spike blood sugar and then cause it to drop mid morning. Even if I poured the bowl for them and cleaned up after them, my two teenagers would not want breakfast cereal for breakfast. However, they will eat cereal as a snack in the evening.

Second, I'm willing to bet that most of those people they surveyed do not even eat breakfast in the morning.

Third, I also think that, at least for teenagers, their whole internal clock starts to get screwed up. They have done studies that show that teenagers have a spike in alertness in the evenings and they're not even sleepy until 11- 12 at night. High School typically starts early, usually 7-730 am, so kids are getting up at 630 am, and they still need 8-9 hours of sleep that they're not getting. So they get up super early, rush out the door, with no breakfast. It's easier to grab a granola bar or a protein bar and eat it on the way to school.

On a side note, up until 2 years ago, we lived in a house with no garbage disposal. The house was in a woody area, and we had a septic system, rather than access to a public sewer. My kids never got the hang of how much milk to put in the cereal, so when they were done, there was always a bit of milk and some floaty bits of cereal. You couldn't dump this in the sink because of the floaty cereal bits, it would screw up the septic system, but you couldn't dump it into the trash because of the liquid, and the risk of too much liquid in the trashbag possibly causing the bag to break. So it was a delicate operation, you would have to somehow drain the milk into the sink without allowing any solids to get in there, too. We did have a drain plug in there to catch stuff, but that became a gooey task to clean out as well. So, yeah, cereal in a house with no garbage disposal is a pain in the ass, and not very filling.

Oh, and today's breakfast, scrambled eggs, sausage, cut up pineapple and Coffee

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Junky high-sugar cereals are not a good choice for a nutritious breakfast, I'd agree. But whole grain cereal can be low in sugar, high in nutrition and fiber, and quite filling. I do not watch my carbs (I'm active, so I need the carbs) -- I find a bowl of real (non-instant) oatmeal with milk and some fruit holds me into lunch.

I also find that when I skip breakfast or grab something half-assed, I'm much less productive in the morning. It is always worth it for me to take the time for breakfast. And if I don't get a good amount of high-quality carbs, my energy level and my workouts suffer, so my breakfasts almost invariably include something carb-y as well as something with protein.

The septic thing sounds like a royal pain! I can imagine that a lot of kitchen clean-up must be a pain besides cereal bowls.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My stomach doesn't usually want any food when I've been awake less than 1 1/2 hours, and on top of that I'm a night owl, typically awake from noon to 3 AM. So I don't eat anything resembling breakfast at breakfast time. If I eat lunch at home it's generally a bowl of leftover pasta or chicken soup; if I eat out for lunch it's usually tacos, enchiladas, or a hamburger. If I'm really lucky I get a steak and a salad. Dinner is when I do actual cooking, at least a few days of the week. Most often I do a dinner and sides that will last several days, like a roast beef with carrots, celery, and mashed potatoes, or a turkey breast with cranberry beets and green beans, or a cheesy pasta with peas. I do occasionally enjoy crepes, french toast, or an omelette for dinner. Overall I have the problem with breakfast food that it tends to be all starch and no protein, pretty bad for a type 2 diabetic like me; and I dislike cold meals unless it's summer.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
bacon, egg, and cheese wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, an orange, coffee.