Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
Why didn't his methodology stick, I wonder. Thousands upon thousands of students would have avoided martial punishment through the centuries. Praise and positive reinforcement is a good way to teach pretty much everything.

(Also, w/r to the subject of the thread, I'm amused English is capitalized and latin is not.)
I don't know why it didn't stick; maybe it did in Europe? It's something that's still studied, in terms of pedagogy (you learn about double translation if you're taking classes about how to teach language, for instance) and if you're at all exposed to Elizabethan literature as an undergrad English major, or if you're a graduate student in English, you'll definitely read at least chunks of Ascham, including his bit on double translation (later he complains that Henry VIII read Malory, and has a diatribe about decadent "Italianate Englishmen").

I read Ascham on double translation as an undergrad, and decided to try it the following summer, when I first took Latin. It works for me.

And yes, rewarding what you want to happen works much better in terms of teaching (people, dogs, horses . . . ) than punishing the negative behavior.

I freely confess that the decision of what to capitalize (which may have been made by the printer, based on what letters he had available at a given moment in setting the type) is odd and fascinting; it's not always based on context in terms of meaning; sometimes I think it's random.