Hamilton, anyone?

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
I looked back several pages and didn't see a thread for Hamilton. I was wondering if there were any fans out there? It's one of the few musicals that has started moving into mainstream culture in the past few years, and as a theatre kid I'm obsessed (both with the show itself and what it has achieved).

I also find the cast album really incredible and well written. It's also pretty inspiring, I find it really hard to listen to "Non-Stop" without getting inspired to create something.

Is anyone else a fan? Has anyone had luck getting tickets?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried a few times, minorly, without luck. One of these days I'll probably go down and try for real. I haven't listened yet, as I prefer to see a show first.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
YES. I am just a little obsessed with Hamilton. I have the cast album and was listening to it last night. I really, really want to go see the show, but sadly I don't have several hundred dollars to drop on a ticket.

I'm constantly blown away by the clever mixture of current music and vernacular and absolutely true-to-history events and themes. It's a slightly different way of saying, "This is how these people felt," but with a little wink and nudge--but with so much heart and sincerity, too, because you can tell Lin-Manuel Miranda really cares about all these characters and stories. As a writer of historical fiction, I'm frankly jealous. I can't use hip-hop and rhymes and modern slang to tell my story. But the jealousy is entirely subsumed in my ardent admiration of what this musical does.

Um, do I sound a bit crazy? Possibly. But people aren't kidding when they call it things like "transformative".

I think Stephen Colbert said it best: "My first reaction was, 'this is very interesting, this is very different' . . . then, 'this is quite magnificent', then two hours later, 'Why am I crying over Alexander Hamilton?'" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7YTPuEMgaE

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
YES! I love it.

Amazingly well done. The execution is perfect. This has surprised me more than any other show. Ever.

Google Play recently had the album for download for 99 cents. If any of you are interested, it is well worth your dollar! (YMMV - not sure if that price is still valid.)

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! It's definitely worth a listen. I've found that even people who don't really care for theatre really love it.

As a poet I'm super jealous of Lin-Manuel Miranda's wordplay (seriously, "let's hatch a plot blacker than the kettle calling the pot?" That's incredible), and as a theatre history nerd, I'm amazed at how it's changing the theatre landscape. I mean. When Stephen Sondheim refers to a show as the future of theatre, you really have to take notice.

By the way, if anyone really loves Hamilton and needs more hip hop musical theatre in their life, check out Venice the Musical. It was an Off-Broadway show which also starred Leslie Odom Jr, and it's a hip hop dystopian sci-fi retelling of Othello, so obviously it needs a listen just by virtue of that description. Imagine Repo! The Genetic Opera mixed with Evita, in a hip hop style, reimagining Shakespeare, and you've got a rough idea of how it sounds.

And of course, if you haven't already, check out Lin's previous show, In the Heights. It's also amazing! Hamilton is my favorite of all these shows, but I'm now a little obsessed with this general style.

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely adore Hamilton. I kept seeing friends on social media tweeting lyrics and I was beyond confused. Then Lin-Manuel and a few other cast members (Renée Elise Goldberry and Daveed Diggs) performed freestyles during a cypher on the BET Hip Hop Awards. I adored Renée's rap and looked her up and realized they were all in what all my friends were talking about. I finally listened to the entire thing on Spotify and fell in love so, so fast. I had a fair amount of days where I listened back-to-back. I could literally write an essay about everything I love about this musical, but I will refrain lol.

I know I'll be lucky to get tickets to the tour when it comes to my city. I definitely know I won't get any for the Broadway production especially with the original cast tbh.

Lin-Manuel Miranda went right onto my idols list because how do you have that much talent to create something like this? It actually amazes me.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Listened to it properly very recently and LOVE it. As a clueless Brit who was taught zilch about the American Revolution, I learned so much by listening to it and reading along to the annotated Genius Lyrics.

Amazing, amazing musical. Very powerful!

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
Lin really is one of my favorite lyricists, and it's really amazing what he has accomplished. With the Grammys coming up tomorrow and Hamilton performing, I couldn't be more excited.

And EMaree, you are not alone. I'm American, but even here we don't learn a lot about Alexander Hamilton in school. I've learned so much American history from listening to the show and doing research because of it. It makes me really happy.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm not wild about Hamilton -- then again, I didn't much care for In the Heights, either. I'm not arguing Lin's brilliance, I can definitely recognize it -- his stuff just isn't to my taste.

Though I may try again soon and, who knows?

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not wild about Hamilton -- then again, I didn't much care for In the Heights, either. I'm not arguing Lin's brilliance, I can definitely recognize it -- his stuff just isn't to my taste.

Though I may try again soon and, who knows?

Hey, everyone's tastes are different, nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of popular shows that don't appeal to me (and plenty of less popular shows that do).

Although if you do give it another shot, I definitely recommend the Grammy performance from tonight. Seeing the way the show is staged really brings it to life.

for the record, it took me a few tries to get into In the Heights. To each their own.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Oh, my God, finally, a Hamilton thread. I'm obsessed with this show. I saw it in November. Went with my two best friends. We all immediately downloaded the cast album.

It's a crazy idea, right? To do a historical Broadway musical in hip-hop? But it totally works! The energy of the music and the dancing really bring the sense of the excitement of the Revolution to the fore. I'm a history buff, but my God, my social studies teachers sucked all the excitement out of the Revolution. If I'd known about the beef Hamilton had with, well, practically everyone, it would've made US History much more engaging.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Here's a video of the Grammys performance (it isn't the best quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNz5uruEpo

I was quietly resigned to waiting for a movie version and to never getting to see this live, but seeing that performance really lit a fire in me. I HAVE to go. Like Sunflowerrei, I'm a historical fiction writer with a particular love of American history, so . . . I just . . . I can't NOT at this point. I'll just have to find the money, that's all.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
The US National tours will be out soon, so keep your eye out on that! We bought our tickets two months in advance, not long after the show transferred to Broadway. We sat in the nosebleeds, but that was fine. I think the hype has just grown since then and I know people who have tickets for January 2017 booked.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who makes her living doing musical theatre, for me Hamilton represents a gale-force breath of fresh air on Broadway - not just because of its use of hip-hop juxtaposed against the American Colonial setting, but because of its lack of irony and earnest commitment to both the story and the style of telling it. I'm so tired of spoofy, self-referential musicals. I would kill to see Hamilton.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
YES! I love it.

Amazingly well done. The execution is perfect. This has surprised me more than any other show. Ever.

Google Play recently had the album for download for 99 cents. If any of you are interested, it is well worth your dollar! (YMMV - not sure if that price is still valid.)

The price was still valid as of an hour ago. :)

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who makes her living doing musical theatre, for me Hamilton represents a gale-force breath of fresh air on Broadway - not just because of its use of hip-hop juxtaposed against the American Colonial setting, but because of its lack of irony and earnest commitment to both the story and the style of telling it. I'm so tired of spoofy, self-referential musicals. I would kill to see Hamilton.

I'm a theatre technician and I agree with this! There is so much in Hamilton to love, and it is such a sincere and exciting piece of theatre.

Beyond that, as a theatre history nerd, I love the way it's taking the world by storm. This is the first time in years that a show has become this well known in popular culture in such a short amount of time. It really almost seems to refer back to the golden age of musicals. There is every possibility that Hamilton could change the way that pop culture sees theatre, and that is so exciting to me.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm super jealous of everyone who's seen it/has tickets to see it "soon". Two of my coworkers have seen it and another has tickets. And I'm the historical fiction writer in the bunch . . .

I just need someone else who's willing to shell out $250+ and money for a hotel room. So far, no luck! (I suppose I could wait for the national tour, but it's unclear when that'll be, and I don't imagine those tickets will be any cheaper or easier to get hold of. It's likely they'd hit DC, but that's not guaranteed, either.)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening to this show in fits and starts on Spotify but never had time to listen all the way through to the end till this morning. Which is why I spent a good 10 minutes crying in front of my computer. Good lord.

I grew up in Virginia, and I grew up in theatre, so musicals and colonial history are a part of my blood. I love love LOVE the way this show uses modern conventions like hip-hop to bring history to life. For some reason I was really struck by how he portrayed those cabinet debates as rap battles. Freaking genius. What a show.

Kevin_R

Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of devotees... I found it on NPR's First Listen program and was blown away. I don't like musicals. I'm not a fan of most hip-hop. This is GENIUS.

You want to engage youth in the understanding and appreciation of history? This is it - granted a junior or senior year of high school version, but it makes it contemporary, relevant and important.

Genius.com has the complete lyrics, complete with annotations (many done by LMM himself): http://genius.com/Lin-manuel-miranda-alexander-hamilton-lyrics

Show time! Show time! Yo!

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Hamilton just won the 2016 Pulitzer for Best Drama! It's only the ninth musical to win the prize.

Holy Shit, that's awesome!!! And extremely well-deserved. (My favorite musical is next to normal, another Pulitzer winner). I think I need to sit down with that Grammy performance and give it another shot.

Kevin_R

Registered
Reaction score
MacArthur Foundation Grant, Grammy, Pulitzer, Tony awards coming.... my what a haul. Nice to see something so well done appreciated so widely. Since Mr. Miranda has won just about everything on offer, the real surprise will be when he's announced as the NBA Finals MVP!