Calling all Aussies

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
G'day, just joined and looking forward to reading all your posts and finding my way around. In the meantime, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get info about ebooks and print-on-demands for us Aussies, and wondering if anyone in here has gone down that road. I know I can get ebooks up on Amazon without losing too much more hair, but want to know about print-on-demand separate from the CreateSpace option, also about payment by Amazon to Aussies (I believe they still pay by cheque - which century are we in again?) but apart from all that, would just love to hear from any Aussies in this forum. Maybe we could start a group - I say "we" because at this stage I have NO idea how to start a group in here, heck I'm not even sure if this post will even appear but fingers crossed. C'mon Aussie c'mon, let me know you're out there and I'm not alone!

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm still new around here myself so hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along shortly to point you in the right direction. I'm not close to publishing yet (though I hope to be by the end of the year) so I thought I'd pop in here to say Hi and see what others might have to say in case I decide to go the self-published route.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I self-pubbed my avatar novel on Amazon last year. I found out recently that, for us Aussies, Amazon does a wire transfer - but only once you've earned over $100 in royalties. The reason for the minimum limit is because wire transfers can incur fees. So, rather than paying $2, say, and then losing $1.50 in fees, Amazon instituted the "$100 or more" rule. (I haven't yet sold enough copies for that. Boo! Hiss!)

As far as any other questions you might have, I'd recommend heading down into the "Self-publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay" section of AW (about 1/3 to 1/2 down the forum list - under the "Publishing" section header). The regulars there have been able to answer many of my questions - and I believe there are at least a few Aussies who are regulars in that section.

And don't worry - no matter where you go on AW, everybody is pretty friendly. Welcome!

Last edited:

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi arikdiver! For what it's worth, my partner and I have both been writers most of our lives (I've only had 1 book published but usually write articles, while he's had 8 books pubished, was an editor with a major publishing company for years, and taught thee Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing, so we were both very much against self-publishing. Our mind-set was "yikes, anyone can publish a book now, literacy is going to hell in a handbasket!" But over the last few years, we've begun to see the value in it, particularly as we see that readers are setting the standard through reviews and are being very critical of poor writing. The major benefits we see are: 1. A book published by a publisher can take anything up to a year to reach the shelves, and once there, is available to a limited number of people (usually Australia only for us Aussies) and for a limited time. After a certain time (usually 3 months) if it's not reprinted then it's removed and usually remaindered, while an ebook is available to the entire world and for as long as you leave it up, and you can update it, add to it, correct it, re-write parts of it at any time! 2. The royalties on both ebooks and professionally published books are almost identical, even if it doesn't seem that way. i.e. royalty on a published book is 10% of wholesale price, which for $29.99 is usually about $1.50 per book, while Amazon's 70% royalty on an ebook priced at $2.99 is ... $2.09. And 3. while the publisher is supposed to distribute and promote your book, sad to say it rarely happens to the writer's satisfaction. My book was published by Penguin and I had lots of ideas of where it should be available for best sales, but most people I knew who were looking for it never found it, and Penguin never promoted it. With ebooks, you and you alone are responsible for promoting your book, through blogging, website, email, newsletter, facebook, twitter, etc. The fourth reason is that, sad to say, book sales have been declining rapidly since 2008. We've had an online bookshop for 16 years and today our sales are less than 30% of what they were in 2007. We've even tried giving books away to charity shops, but they refuse them because they have a store-room full of books no-one wants, and their prices are $1 each! I know some bookshops who have had to burn all their stock because they can't get rid of them. Just a few things you might want to think about while you're deciding which way to go.

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that Cliff Face, that's good to know. I believe the fee to cash an international cheque is pretty steep anyway, so I'd just as soon wait until I reached $100 - that may take a year or more, but I'm in no hurry to be rich and famous with my $100! :)

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have only given it a little thought (I still have to finish the book), but it's good to have anothers opinion. I tend to do probably 85% of my reading via ebooks these days. The rest I get from the library, although I might buy a few printed books if I happen to see them and they aren't too expensive. So i guess my own reading habits are a reflection of what you've identified too. I also agree that the return may end up being the same, if not a bit better, by self-publishing. I'm just terrible at self-promotion, so for me it would be easier to find someone else to do the hard part for me. I guess I can always learn :)

I'm surprised charity shops would burn their stock. I would rather see it recycled ;)
Thanks again.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Don't forget that with trade publishing, you usually get an advance and you don't have to fork out for editing, covers, design etc. Also royalties are usually based on list price, so a $29.95 book = $2.99 royalty.

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking from personal experience. Different personal experiences are available.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but apart from all that, would just love to hear from any Aussies in this forum. Maybe we could start a group - I say "we" because at this stage I have NO idea how to start a group in here, heck I'm not even sure if this post will even appear but fingers crossed. C'mon Aussie c'mon, let me know you're out there and I'm not alone!

We're here. Behind the vegemite.

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Helix! Yes, the advance - it's getting less and less these days, and that's only if you're lucky enough to get your ms accepted. After all, not much point paying $5,000 when they're not even sure the book will sell 500 copies! One friend got a $5,000 advance a few years ago and they remaindered her book after only around 300 sales - they won't want to keep making that mistake! A lot of publishing companies are either going out of business these days, or becoming vanity publishers - although, of course, they don't call themselves that. Take Hay House with their extension, Balboa Press, which will publish your book for something like $7,000. Yikes! Editing - yes, if you're not a natural editor, then I agree you need to pay for that, but cover art is not a big problem if you know your way around Photoshop or something similar. And yes Helix - you're right about royalties, I wrote the above late at night and my brain starts shutting down at about 11pm. which is why I don't touch my book in the evenings!

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Hey McCardey, I didn't recognize you with all that black around your mouth! :Shrug:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
:hi:

I, uh, have nothing to add to the publishing conversation.

But I do like vegemite.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Trade publishing, self-publishing -- it's horses for courses! But it's always useful to look at the pros and cons of both before making a decision.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Remember, if your book gets remaindered by a traditional publisher you get to walk away with advance (you don't need to pay it back even if your book sells nothing) AND THEN you can self publish it!

A lot of people act as if you can only do the one, but it's the hybrids that always win. So don't listen to anyone who says you're bound to the one method of publication forever and a day. As you can see even in this thread, people have had good and bad experiences with either method. Try both, see what fits.

im an Aussie, I self published last year, but the work and the 70% of $nothing equals $nothing was a bit of a downer, so I got an agent in August. I have really enjoyed the collaboration with working with a top agent and editor. It really is worth the work to get one. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an Aussie, but I visited the country five years ago and posted in the G'day thread at the time. I'm going to be in the country again in a week from now, so hello again! I'll be there for three weeks, in Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney in that order.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Enjoy your visit, eyeblink!

*checks forecast*

Temperature in Adelaide on Monday: min 26C, max 40C. Bring sunblock!

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy your visit, eyeblink!

*checks forecast*

Temperature in Adelaide on Monday: min 26C, max 40C. Bring sunblock!

Hope so!

I'll be in Adelaide a week on Sunday, so maybe it'll have cooled down a bit by then...

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, if your book gets remaindered by a traditional publisher you get to walk away with advance (you don't need to pay it back even if your book sells nothing) AND THEN you can self publish it!

A lot of people act as if you can only do the one, but it's the hybrids that always win. So don't listen to anyone who says you're bound to the one method of publication forever and a day. As you can see even in this thread, people have had good and bad experiences with either method. Try both, see what fits.

im an Aussie, I self published last year, but the work and the 70% of $nothing equals $nothing was a bit of a downer, so I got an agent in August. I have really enjoyed the collaboration with working with a top agent and editor. It really is worth the work to get one. I highly recommend it.

Thank you. This is the approach I was leaning towards. Out of curiosity, is your agent in Australia or OS?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. This is the approach I was leaning towards. Out of curiosity, is your agent in Australia or OS?

New York. There aren't that many Australian agents about, actually, and they tend to sell rights a bit piecemeal (Oz and NZ first, maybe the others later, etc) . I'm interested to see how this will work out for me if/when I get a deal. I only returned the final manuscript edits yesterday!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely enough, Eye, the best week to be in Adelaide at the moment, if you wanted cooler weather, would be this current week. It's very unusual - most years at this point we're in a massive heatwave, but the other day I wound up putting on long pants and a jumper! It's probably got something to do with the shift from el nino to la nina (or is it the other way round?).

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Sandy, welcome aboard. So, unless I blinked and missed it, what part of this wide, brown land do you hale from? I'm in Perth. And as has been already said, no, well very few, jerks on this site.