• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor now wants a full. Karla referred me to Natalie, and Natalie referred me to her (didn't query).
First email: 01.10.10 requested 50 pages and a synop.
Sent: 02.01.10 the night after my midterms.
Full request: 02.03.10, in the morning.
I've yet to send it out though...

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Brady and PastMidnight, for your feedback. It's always nice to know someone's reading something you wrote :)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Natalie Fischer at this agency back in October. She asked for an exclusive read of four weeks, which I granted. She was incredibly prompt and professional, and had her decision back to me within eleven days (!!). She suggested revisions and offered to re-read it if I wanted to make those changes. Natalie obviously has a good eye -- the revisions she suggested were just what the ms needed, but I couldn't see it until she pointed it out. She is still in the process of reading the new version, and has been keeping in touch with me in a very professional manner.

I'm impressed. I hope she offers to represent me. I love the smooth, considerate communication from this agency.

Oh -- and wanted to update this thread to add that Natalie did offer representation, I accepted, and so far we're cracking along on some really great revisions. She continues to be quick, professional, and to have a great eye for literature. She's helped me target and fix a few errors with my plot. My book definitely wouldn't be as good without her help! I am excited about submissions on the horizon.

Natalie has my highest praise, for those who are considering querying her.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Is Taylor Martindale an agent here? I can't find her on the website.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I think she's an associate agent there, but I'd ask Tilt since she's had the most contact with Taylor. Maybe they just haven't updated their website yet?

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
@ink and @bailey:

Yep, they haven't updated the website yet, she's just recently become an acquiring agent.

@misselainie: I'm so nervous! :D Trying to cram in more edits...

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Taylor wants? I can't find information on her anywhere. What kind of stuff does she go for? Ya urban fanatsy or paranormal?

secretkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Just don't query more than one of them...sounds like Taylor and Natalie share queries, especially since I've read of a lot of passed-on queries in different threads. Plus, Natalie is the submissions manager, and I know she'll see it if you do both...!! Eek, did that once at an agency when I started out, BAD mistake...

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Hi there-

Taylor M just requested a full from my partial, and I have to say, she's been extremely friendly, approachable, and quick in all my dealings with her so far. I would recommend querying her to anyone--I've heard she's kind in her rejections as well.

As far as what she wants--from what I've gathered, I *think* NF has less interest in fantasy and more in contemporary YA. My novel is UF, so I at least know Taylor is open to it.

Cheers and good luck, everyone! :D

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there-

Taylor M just requested a full from my partial, and I have to say, she's been extremely friendly, approachable, and quick in all my dealings with her so far. I would recommend querying her to anyone--I've heard she's kind in her rejections as well.

As far as what she wants--from what I've gathered, I *think* NF has less interest in fantasy and more in contemporary YA. My novel is UF, so I at least know Taylor is open to it.

Cheers and good luck, everyone! :D

However, she passed on my contemp to Taylor, and requested Peachie's contemp...so I guess it just works for individual cases. :)

BTW, congrats! :D She has a quick turnaround time, no?

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
NF likes fantasy, I think. She originally requested my urban fantasy/dystopian YA novel -- PIPER -- based on reading my blog. But since that was only in its draft stages, I wound up querying her with my literary YA piece. Still waiting on a response to my full, but so far all communication has been really pleasant. They seem like a lovely agency :)

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Thanks guys for the correction! I wasn't sure, since I thought Karla mentioned one agent was less interested in fantasy? She might know, gah... :D

Yes, all communication has been lovely--Ink--totally agree.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, KC did say that NF wasn't too interested in fantasy -- and pretty much all of us wrote fantasy, so that was a bit of a downer. But NF did later mention in one of her emails to me that she was interested in all genres of YA. So I'm taking that plus her requesting my dystopian/UF as meaning she might not have a particular interest in fantasy, but she's open to it at least?

Dunno. Just something for potential queriers to know, I guess :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just to note: the Dijkstra Agency's contract has "interminable agency" language, whereby the agency claims the right to represent any manuscript it sells for you not for the life of the contract, but for the life of copyright.

For why that's not desirable, see this warning from the Authors Guild, and also this entry from Writer Beware's blog.

- Victoria

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry on the R, but getting an invite to submit again is pretty awesome! Good luck!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Sorry on the R, but getting an invite to submit again is pretty awesome! Good luck!

Thanks! I plan to take her up on the invite on my next sub. Her R was one of the nicest ones I received, and she sounds like a gem to work with.