• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I wonder about Kelly Sonnack too. I queried her on 1/5 and haven't received a response. AgentQuery hasn't been updated if she's moved on.

Last edited:

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
$4.34 postage down the drain :-(
Yeah, same here. Oh well. Hopefully an announcement comes out if she's moved somewhere else. (And maybe will take e-subs... that would be nice, wouldn't have to pay twice to submit...)

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I read on another board that KS has indeed found a home at a different agency, but the name of the agency hasn't been made public yet. It will probably be up on Publishers Weekly / Publishers Marketplace soon.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was in the Publisher's Lunch newsletter I received yesterday:

Agents Jill Marsal and Kevan Lyon have left the Sandra Dijkstra Agency to form the Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. Marsal was at the Dijkstra agency for eight years and practiced as an attorney representing authors prior to that. Lyon spent four years at Dijkstra and worked in the wholesale and distribution side of the publishing business for over 17 years before becoming an agent.

There were no particulars, like the physical address.

~Nancy

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the new address and website for Marsal Lyon Literary:

Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
PMB 121
665 San Rodolfo Dr. 124
Solana Beach, CA 92075
www.MarsalLyonLiteraryAgency.com

Looks like the website is only half-built right now, but does include a phone # and submissions guidelines.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Caramora, thanks for the info on Kelly. Darn, I've already queried Andrea Brown and they have a policy against querying more than 1 agent.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Looks like Kelly S. took her subs with her. She just emailed me about mine from her new agency (Andrea Brown).

TrishaHaddad

A Bookish Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishahaddad.com
My first job in publishing was with the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency. That was almost 10 years ago now, but I can say that she is a strong agent, will only take on work she is passionate about, and then will really fight for it.

Oh, and for those concerned about sending a package to someone who isn't there anymore, staff cycle through rather quickly there, and at least when I was there, they would just go to the new person handling submissions or that genre. The books and websites with contact info can't keep up with the staff changes, though I suppose that is the case with many agencies and publishing houses...

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
new query response policy

FWIW, I'm at the 7 week mark - queried Elise Capron. When I sent my letter & 50 pgs their website said to expect a 6-8 week wait but they will reply (by email only.) Well, just checked the site again - for something to do, mostly, as I'm going through what feels like an endless "no news" phase. As of 5/1/09 they have a new policy: they will now only respond to unsolicited queries in which they're interested. If you haven't heard from them within 6 wks, you can assume they're passing.

:(

Timoun

Death will be anticlimactic
Registered
Reaction score
The dragon lady. If she likes you she'll make you rich.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with Elise Capron?

Zsuzsi

Registered
Reaction score
I have. I am. Elise is terrific. But it's not clear to me if she is working on behalf of Sandra or not. She seems to want to have the ms perfected before Sandra sees it and is generous in offering suggestions to make it Sandra worthy.

I am eager to hear from folks who have dealt with the restructured organization ( since many agents have left this agency in a mass exodus). I guess SD is the real deal there but I would be curious to hear what the reputation or recent experience with this agency is. Any recent sales for SD?

Last edited:

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my experience with the Sandra Dijkstra Agency:

Queried Elise Capron there (via snail mail) with the understanding that she would only respond if interested. Unfortunately, she was not interested, but I did receive a really thoughtful rejection letter from Taylor Martindale. She suggested that I change the novel's title, praising the concept and the voice(s) and saying that the current title "does not serve the work well."

I didn't even send a SASE. They still took the time to write me.

secretkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Taylor Martindale and Natalie Fischer are the newest agents at the Dijkstra agency. I don't know much about their publishing background, but like it says on Chuck's Guide to Literary Agents, new agents are hungry and really building their list....so hopefully even though they have a "no-reply if not interested" policy, the new agents will take the time to respond with the submissions that came close, like it sounds like this one did with Taylor.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Natalie Fischer at this agency back in October. She asked for an exclusive read of four weeks, which I granted. She was incredibly prompt and professional, and had her decision back to me within eleven days (!!). She suggested revisions and offered to re-read it if I wanted to make those changes. Natalie obviously has a good eye -- the revisions she suggested were just what the ms needed, but I couldn't see it until she pointed it out. She is still in the process of reading the new version, and has been keeping in touch with me in a very professional manner.

I'm impressed. I hope she offers to represent me. I love the smooth, considerate communication from this agency.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
NF is making a lot of posters happy lately. :tongue