The Feedback I Value

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
I completely rewrote my novel. I like it. I'll publish it one day, if I have to do it myself and put the only sold copy on my own shelf at home. Anyway, that's all on hold while I let my head clear for a better stab at query letters.

In the meantime, and on the front burner, largely because of advice here, I have something new. It's a comedy screenplay I just wrote. What a high that was. I just started with an idea I've had for years, and it came together. I wrote most of it between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and have gone through several drafts and revisions. Good or bad, just getting it out and down on paper feels like such a great achievement.

If anyone here is particularly interested in this kind of work, and has advice on how I proceed from here (SYW, QLH), I'd like to hear it. Is it true, as I've read, that searching for an agent for this kind of work is oftentimes a waste unless you either have connections or such a knockout concept that anyone sees it off the bat? In other words, the query process is much different?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read it. I have some ideas that I think would work better as screenplays, but I don't really know how to go about writing one. I could learn something from critting.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
In other words, the query process is much different?

From my brief time doing this, and due to the nature of screenwriting, it will be cgood to have some credits under your belt when you approach an agent. Try and enter your screenplay into contests, join screenwriter and movie production forums (oftentimes the production company will ask for a screenplay that fits certain budgetary specs rather than looking at screenplays to produce). Network at film events in your city, volunteer on people's productions etc etc, even if it is just making lunch or painting the sets.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If anyone here is particularly interested in this kind of work, and has advice on how I proceed from here (SYW, QLH), I'd like to hear it.
Feel free to post the first 10 pages in Screenwriting SYW (password=vista) -- if they're funny and appealing, readers might invite you to post or send more.

-Derek

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to post the first 10 pages in Screenwriting SYW (password=vista) -- if they're funny and appealing, readers might invite you to post or send more.

-Derek

I'm going to post the first ten pages. It bothers me a bit that a lot starts happening at Page 14, but oh, well. I might adjust some things. Two questions: a) should I first format the draft to more closely follow convention, maybe with available software (my draft uses margins, headings and narration following a few books I perused); and b) is it really advisable to register with WGA? I've seen conflicting advice re that.

thx

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Two questions: a) should I first format the draft to more closely follow convention, maybe with available software (my draft uses margins, headings and narration following a few books I perused)
The formatting doesn't need to be preserved, as long as the text is readable and action and character name+dialogue elements are easily discernible. Letting the text fall to the left margin is just fine, readers will get it.

and b) is it really advisable to register with WGA? I've seen conflicting advice re that.
There's advice all over the internet about this, let me link you to a Q&A article on the scriptmag site written by Chad Gervich, here. Me personally, I'd spend twenty bucks for the peace of mind it brings. As that article says, it's all about proving ownership. Posting sample pages on a writers' site with a date stamp adds to the ownership paper trail. Though that's just my theory!

-Derek

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
What dpaterso said.

Also, if you post the first 10 pages to SYW then I'll take a look. That's my main haunt.

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd spend twenty bucks for the peace of mind it brings. As that article says, it's all about proving ownership.-Derek

Certainly get it registered! And even copyrighted too.

Also: don't put all your eggs in one basket. Develop a dozen other scripts--more arrows in your quiver.
Think carefully about contests though. Sometimes a prodco doesn't want a script that's 'been making the rounds'. And remember contests sometimes have very 'constraining' fine print, and they also award only a few thou as prizes. You can't retire on contest money.