• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question about submitting to publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

policewife

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering what your opinions are about submitting your work to international publishers? If their submission guidelines do not specifically say not to, is this an advisable thing to do? Thank you very much for your time.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure that you're familiar with the tax situation in any country that you submit to, including the forms you have to file in your home country when you receive monies from out of the country.

If you're American, but sell a book in England, then you've not only got to file a form with the IRS explaining that you're getting money from sales in England, but you've also got to file the proper forms for the English version of the IRS stating that you're not an English citizen so that they won't tax your income from sales as if you were.

You pretty much have to do the same in every country you sell through. (Which is one reason an agent can come in handy. They know all of this stuff, and send you the pertinent forms, so you don't have to keep track of it all by yourself.)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the country you live in. Depends on the book. Depends on your agent. For some, submitting to foreign publishers is the only option. For others, the results are not worth the effort. For still others, that's what choosing the right agent will get you.

Since everyone's experiences, market and needs are different, no general answers to a general question asked here will give you the guidance you're looking for.

Jeff

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, do it. It's perfectly acceptable to.

The longer answer is that you shouldn't submit to any publisher, literary agent, or contest that you haven't researched first to determine whether they're professional and legitimate, and that may be harder to do when the entity is in another country, and -- as others have mentioned -- you'll have more red tape to deal with.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about taxes, either. I've had novels published in several countries, and taxes simply haven't been an issue. It's no more difficult than taxes when all your money is made here.

policewife

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your insight. Sorry, I know this is a very general question. If I have any more specifics as time goes on, I know where to come! Thanks again;)

Status
Not open for further replies.