10,000 words a week challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi people!

I'm new around here (although I used to post a bit last year and forgot my old username and password!).

Anyway I'm at 72,000 words approx of my first draft of my first novel (a mystery) and I want to push on to finish the first draft in the next two weeks. I have a serious work load in my day job, not to mention young kids, so it would be great to have the motivation of a couple of other people trying to do the same thing. Anyway want to join the challenge?? We could run it for 2/4 weeks and see how we go, reporting in every day or so?

If you're up for it, post! We start Monday! If not, this post will disappear soon enough I'm sure : )

Thanks all,

Maggie.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell, I guess I have to do it now :) Welcome aboard Fruitbat!

NanMartin

Registered
Reaction score
By my calculations that comes out to a little over 5 1/2 pages a day. I'm in the middle of moving things around to make what I've got work, but I think I might be able to turn out that much going forward. Willing to give it a try anyway. Count me in.

Lucid

'ello beastie
Registered
Reaction score
I think I can do this. I was giving JaNoWriMo a shot, but fell off the wagon due to difficulties writing weekends (DH is a trucker, and its the only time he is home so I tend to not get on the computer at those times - or at least not for extended periods). But 10k a week sounds doable.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff! So there are a few of us! Well I'll start - managed to get 1751 today. Wrote a bit at lunchtime so that I would have some words to motivate me this evening, then did the rest once kids were in bed. I'm reading a lot of contracts and business cases at the moment which isn't wonderful for my creativity (!) so this will be a challenge but I find if I don't stick to a hard target then it all falls apart ....

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
yolo swag, good motivation to get me to finish my SS-SFF-SS in time :), I'm in, hopefully I can get around to writing today to start out :)

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
Is it too late to join? I reckon I should be able to do 10k a week, I quite clearly have the time, and the reason I'm not is pure procrastination and daftitude. Perhaps some accountability will help. I have two writing days a week, so I'll be shooting for 5k on Monday and 5k on Friday. I've written 1110 so far today, so I just need to get off of here and back to the grindstone.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
4,741 today,. We'll see if I can do the 10k next week!

Feeling a bit knackered, in all honesty. But pleased. My funny little MG story is up to nearly 17k now, and since I'm only aiming for 30-40k that's pretty encouraging.

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got 5k done today, halfway to the 10k!

How's anyone else getting on?

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
Only managed 1500 today, that's 6500 this week. :cry:

Also, I seem to be the only one still posting to this thread. It's my private world of self-congratulation (or self-flagellation as the case may be).

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Tottie Scone, 6,500 is fantastic! :hooray:

I'm joining in even if everyone else has disappeared. :D

I started my WIP on 3 February with an aim to have it done by the end of the month. Currently at just under 49,000 words and aiming for 80,000, so I need to write 1,600 a day or 11,500 a week to finish on target. I can usually do 5k a day on weekends and 1-2k on weekdays so I might actually finish ahead of target and allow myself some line editing before I let it rest for a month.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
You guys amaze me. I'm not joining in, it's a bit out of my league but great job so far. I'm impressed!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping to join this thread in a few months when I downgrade the stressful dayjob to something less tiring. ;)

Keep it up those who are still trying for 10K words a week!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Earthling, I'll join with you! Is anyone else still doing this? I'm aiming for a bit shy of 10k a week though... not sure I can pull that off. I'm going to shoot for 7k a week.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try to post how I do with the goal! Hopefully it will help keep me accountable!

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, aus!
Shadow - hope to see you soon :)

I've always aimed for 5k a day on weekend days, but I'm getting so antsy waiting for agents to read my MS that I decided to do 10k yesterday and keep my mind occupied (totally didn't work, I had to check Gmail every 500 words or so). I ended up at 10,637 for the day. It stretched me, but at least I know I can do it.

Aiming for 5k today.

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying, though with very mixed success. It seems like some days all I have to do is devote the time and the words come. Other days they just don't.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
964 for me yesterday. So close to my 1000 goal, but just missed it! Maybe I can make up the other 36 words today. :)

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Hello KiwiChick and Writelock! OP has disappeared but why wouldn't anyone be welcome, right?

I've got feck all done in the last two days because I had a cold and my head was cotton woollish. Back on form today and hoping to make up for it with 5k words.

Status
Not open for further replies.