How do I arrange a table-read?

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Mods, please let me know if this needs to be moved elsewhere.

I live in Seattle proper and I'm a member of TPS. I wrote a two-act drama that I want a table reading (NOT a stage one yet; it's not ready) for. Can I just post an audition notice on TPS' site? I'm not with a theatre company; I'm just me. The play's not copyrighted because I want actors' feedback before I take that step. There's a point in the play where you can tell I got flustered and shoved a bunch of scenes together that don't make sense in such order. I waaaant advice on how to correct that, among other things.
If it matters, I've written four drafts of it with an editor and read a ton (eg this isn't "first draft is final and perfect!" syndrome). It's time to move onto getting other feedback. When I do get a table-read, where should I rent space? I was thinking a nearby library. Renting at a theatre would be like a stage reading, which, again, not quite ready. This would be an unpaid gig at this point, which makes me think, again, wait.
And uh. This play has twenty-four people in it. It's intended for community or amateur theatre, and I will be so excited to get it workshopped.

How did the rest of you go about arranging your table-readings, and actually experiencing them?
Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!
Zev

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a playwright, nor a mod of this room in AW, but your question interests me for a few reasons.

First off, I don't know what TPS is, so could you spell it out for the ignorant among us? :greenie

And then, I would think that organization itself would be the place to investigate what the protocol is for setting up a table-reading, no? (See, I am very ignorant. For all I know, there is a broad convention among theater people about all this.... :Shrug:)

I imagine you don't want to mislead performers about that status of your play, so it makes sense to only post it as an audition if the organization has a category for table-readings. Again, TPS itself would seem to be the place to check that out.

As for the number of characters, don't people sometimes take on multiple roles, for the purposes of such readings? Meaning, do you really need a full cast for a table-reading?

Finally, what about posting ads in local freebie papers (I'd guess Seattle has at least one) with theater sections, or on bulletin boards at drama schools?

Good luck with it; it sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a playwright, but I am a professional stage actress and have done my fair share of table-reads.

I'm assuming that by TPS you mean Theatre Puget Sound. Without knowing what their policy is regarding audition notices and space rentals, I can't really advise you there. It sounds to me like you just want to hear your play out loud so you can spot problem areas, and you certainly don't need to rent a space to do that. All you need is a large room with a table and chairs for your readers. If your personal abode is large enough to accommodate the reading, do it there. If your library has a space that you can reserve without charge, by all means investigate that. If you work for a company that has a conference room or a similar large space, you might check into using that. Offer to purchase pizza and beer/soda for those involved as a thank-you.

Auditions for staged readings aren't necessary. You must have contacts within TPS; use them. Noise around that you're interested in assembling a cast for a table read; if you have any director friends, you might want to ask one to handle the casting for you so you're free to simply listen to the reading, get feedback and take notes (and serve the pizza ;)).

Kylabelle is right on the money about not needing 24 individual actors for the reading - use fewer readers and double or triple up the roles (it's probably what you'd have to do in an actual production anyway; not many theatres these days can afford a cast that large).

ETA: By the way, the correct term is a "staged" reading - meaning that there is some blocking (i.e. staged movement) involved although the actors are still on book (i.e. reading from the script).

ETA again: Your biggest expense for the reading isn't going to be the pizza or the room rental - it's going to be photocopying. You'll need scripts for everyone involved - another reason to go with a smaller group.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The play is copyrighted; it's not registered with WGA or anything I presume is what you mean.

In my experience, a table read is a pretty informal affair, though I know they can be somewhat more elaborate. Do you need actual actors? I'd just ask some writing friends over to your place, especially as you're looking for help on some of the writing. Promise pizza.

If you want actual actors, go to your local small/community/college/whatever theatre and ask if you can post a notice (that'd be seen by people inside only) or email to a list people are on or something. In that case I'd also just host it at your place and offer pizza and beer/wine as 'payment.' Just be clear about what you're doing - looking to host a table read of a two-act play in progress.

You don't, in case you've never been to one, need 24 people just because there are 24 parts. This likely differs at some, but most I'm familiar with (where we're not talking about an entire, already-cast cast) have a bunch of people and many read several parts. Decide who reads what beforehand and hand out full scripts and highlighters.

If you really want to go to a place, you'd rent a rehersal space, not a library (?). There are likely dedicated rehersal spaces in Seattle (there are here, in a bigger city, but still). They're cheapish - like $30-40 an hour (again, that's here), and they'll provide table, chairs, bathroom, etc.

Reaction score
Website
www.bossard-lemcke.com
User cornflake makes a valid point, if you wrote the play, it is copyrighted automatically under United States law. If you rewrite it, even the previous version still holds a copyright (contact an attorney about the term of copyright with new versus old versions, however. That is less simple).

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info! It's all really helpful.
TPS is an abbreviation for Theatre Puget Sound. It's a website for people to advertise auditions, post bios and resumes, and get involved in various ways. The forums are even more specific. I plan to advertise there. It is also a physical place in Seattle for people to rehearse and hold auditions.

I can narrow down the reading to nine actors (the seven principals and two of the supporting actors) whose voices I need to hear and mannerisms I need to see. As far as narrowing down the actual -play- to that few, I'm thinking hard on it. Having reading friends: nobody wants to. I've asked a few times. Having actors: it's progressed to that point, for myself. Actors will be looking at the play in different ways than friends of mine. Having the reading where I live: bad idea.

Auditions are held sometimes at the Central Library in downtown, in rooms that are often rented. It might be cheaper than a TPS studio. That's why I mentioned it. Pizza and soda: perfect idea! I'll definitely do it in a place that allows me to have food. The cost of photocopying: yes. Expensive. Thank you for the reminder! I'm going to draw up a budget for myself to figure out when I can realistically do all this.

Contacts within TPS and the theatre community:
TL;DR: (sad trombone noises as I sound a lot like a matyr, but it's true)
I wish. I contacted some people in my theatre past and found out none of them are doing theatre anymore, and they couldn't recommend anyone for me to talk to. I've e-mailed different theatre companies that help new playwrights, and other companies to volunteer in any way, and they're busy. While taking classes at Freehold would be a great idea and networking opportunity, it's not a financial reality right now, even with my low-income eligibility. Seeing plays and talking to people afterward when possible could also be a great way.

So you all helped a lot, and it's going to be a waiting game. I'm so happy to be clearer on what needs to happen, though! Thank you!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Zev, and please let us know how things go!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info! It's all really helpful.
TPS is an abbreviation for Theatre Puget Sound. It's a website for people to advertise auditions, post bios and resumes, and get involved in various ways. The forums are even more specific. I plan to advertise there. It is also a physical place in Seattle for people to rehearse and hold auditions.

I can narrow down the reading to nine actors (the seven principals and two of the supporting actors) whose voices I need to hear and mannerisms I need to see. As far as narrowing down the actual -play- to that few, I'm thinking hard on it. Having reading friends: nobody wants to. I've asked a few times. Having actors: it's progressed to that point, for myself. Actors will be looking at the play in different ways than friends of mine. Having the reading where I live: bad idea.

Auditions are held sometimes at the Central Library in downtown, in rooms that are often rented. It might be cheaper than a TPS studio. That's why I mentioned it. Pizza and soda: perfect idea! I'll definitely do it in a place that allows me to have food. The cost of photocopying: yes. Expensive. Thank you for the reminder! I'm going to draw up a budget for myself to figure out when I can realistically do all this.

Contacts within TPS and the theatre community:
TL;DR: (sad trombone noises as I sound a lot like a matyr, but it's true)
I wish. I contacted some people in my theatre past and found out none of them are doing theatre anymore, and they couldn't recommend anyone for me to talk to. I've e-mailed different theatre companies that help new playwrights, and other companies to volunteer in any way, and they're busy. While taking classes at Freehold would be a great idea and networking opportunity, it's not a financial reality right now, even with my low-income eligibility. Seeing plays and talking to people afterward when possible could also be a great way.

So you all helped a lot, and it's going to be a waiting game. I'm so happy to be clearer on what needs to happen, though! Thank you!

One note on what you've got here - mannerisms aren't a thing in readings. At a table read, people sit, around a table, and read, heh. They usually do try to 'act' some, especially the actors who do it, but mannerisms you won't get.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Is this just a cold table read or do you want to rehearse it? Will the only participants be the readers and yourself or will there be anyone else to give feedback?

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Another suggestion (just because I haven't seen anyone else put it out there) is to check with the local acting studios to see if they'll let you post a notice. Most acting students are starving (pun intended!) to get their hands on materials to practice breakdowns on and to meet writers. Knowing writers (for them) is especially helpful when they realize that breaking in is pretty tough and the best way to get there on a newbie actor's income is via creating original content for the web.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
It's a cold table read. The readers and I will be there and hopefully I'll get feedback, but just -hearing- it read by others will help a lot.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Another suggestion (just because I haven't seen anyone else put it out there) is to check with the local acting studios to see if they'll let you post a notice. Most acting students are starving (pun intended!) to get their hands on materials to practice breakdowns on and to meet writers. Knowing writers (for them) is especially helpful when they realize that breaking in is pretty tough and the best way to get there on a newbie actor's income is via creating original content for the web.

That's actually really encouraging; thank you! I'll definitely ask TPS and go from there, when I have the budget.

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck, Zev, and please let us know how things go!
Aww, thank you! That means a lot.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to place an audition notice, and I have a big question before I do so:
As suggested, I'm having actors read multiple parts, solely for the read-through. My only worry is, the actors will be reading for characters of different ethnicities, but who are around the same age (eg the fathers of two different characters are different races, but both in their 40s). This isn't meant to be insensitive. One actor could easily read for multiple characters at this point.
Should I split the reading roles to be race-specific, as character-appropriate, at this stage, or can I go with 'read for multiple people' plan? I plan to cast more appropriately starting with the workshop.

Please let me know if I should proceed differently.
Thanks!
Zev

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
I lived in a small town with no live theater groups so I started a playwright's group. We met in a free room at a local library. The local high school drama teacher came and brought a bunch of his students and we had one elderly former Hollywood screenwriter would have a nurse aide from the old folks home where he lived drive him to every meeting. We all had a great time. We would put notices in the local newspaper about the meetings and put a notice up at the library.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A live table read is exhilarating for a writer... you finally hear peeps speaking your words! But, if you're like me, you might get caught up in that and being critical of the work itself will be last on your list. You'll simply be thrilled to hear people acting out (no matter how poorly or expertly) your words.

My advice? Get friends to read it for you first at your home so you can get that whole excitement out of your system. And because they will likely not be professional actors, you'll be more likely to spot areas in your script that need work. Once you've gotten a sense of what needs work and you address those needs, then I would go for a formal reading. You'll have popped your cherry by then and be less star-struck, less enamored of people reading your words... and hopefully you'll be more able to be critical of your own work as opposed to enjoying the moment.

As others have mentioned, you'll likely need people to double or triple up on characters. That said, 24 is an extreme reach, especially for a newbie playwright. Go through your script and try to eliminate the small parts that require just a line or two, and further combine other lesser characters in to just one. I try not to have more than five or six players in a play because as a non-name writer, theaters are less likely to put on plays with massive casts. It helps your odds.