A prominent Dev of Bitcoin: "Bitcoin as an experiment has failed".

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.lfrwpjki3
Why has Bitcoin failed? It has failed because the community has failed. What was meant to be a new, decentralised form of money that lacked “systemically important institutions” and “too big to fail” has become something even worse: a system completely controlled by just a handful of people. Worse still, the network is on the brink of technical collapse. The mechanisms that should have prevented this outcome have broken down, and as a result there’s no longer much reason to think Bitcoin can actually be better than the existing financial system.

Think about it. If you had never heard about Bitcoin before, would you care about a payments network that:

• Couldn’t move your existing money
  • Had wildly unpredictable fees that were high and rising fast
  • Allowed buyers to take back payments they’d made after walking out of shops, by simply pressing a button (if you aren’t aware of this “feature” that’s because Bitcoin was only just changed to allow it)
  • Is suffering large backlogs and flaky payments
  • … which is controlled by China
  • … and in which the companies and people building it were in open civil war?

It's about time too. Bitcoins are a vipers nest of scammers, cheats, and fools.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
One of my brother-in-laws keeps trying to push my husband into investing in bitcoin. Thankfully, he hasn't taken the bait yet. *shudders*

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The interesting technology has always been the blockchain. That's where people should put their real money into.

-cb

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Charles Stross discussing Bitcoin at one point a few years ago, saying he's not necessarily opposed to cryptocurrency (in a way many science fiction authors are not opposed to ideas they still wouldn't sink money into IRL), but rather to the Libertarian ethos of Bitcoin's creators. This is what always gave me pause. But then, what do I know about the Invisible Hand and the natural hygiene of the free market?

DogeCoin is still a strong buy tho, right???

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The first references to Bitcoin that I heard were about it's use for drug-deals, laundering money and other dodgy doings. And, it appeared to be built on ... button-pressing ?
I never really got the point.:Shrug: