Odd Short Stories that You Liked

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recent-ish (1960 onward) short stories that have a healthy dose of weirdness. Any suggestions?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Many of Bruce Coville's MG/YA collections and anthologies have odd ones that linger in the memory. Wide variety of tales, from silly to serious to downright disturbing, and they don't always end nicely.

Also: The Anything Box, by Zenna Henderson. Read it over 20 years ago, and some of them still linger...

And a couple I remember reading but which may be tough to track down...

"Dancers Like Children," by Kristine Kathryn Rusch - SF tale of a man sent to a mining colony planet to determine if the native sapient aliens are killing human children. The ending really sticks with you...

"Fable Blue," published around the same time, but be danged if I can find the author - A story told from the POV of jellyfishlike sapient marine beings, and their first contact with the surface world.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. It's called Trigger Warning, with subtitle of Short Fictions and Disturbances.

Most of them are weird, only one I'd call disturbing so far. All entertaining.

I've been reading more short stories lately rather than novels. Mostly from lit magazines I'd bought years ago and put on the bookshelves. The Neil Gaiman one I found at the library.

Reaction score
It was written in 1957, but Isaac Asimov's The Last Question made me want to be a writer. The story covers the entire lifespan of the universe in just 4,400 words lol.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Wilson's "No Joke, This Is Going To Be Painful" about a couple who makes a game of pegging each other with ice cubes.

One of the "Brief Interviews" by David Foster Wallace, about a man who has one arm and thinks it helps him to seduce women (If weird is your thing, you really ought to read the entire collection, titled Brief Interviews With Hideous Men).

Last edited:

Wyndsgal

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you mean by "weird," but I really enjoyed Keith by Ron Carlson. The title character is very quirky (and you could say weird). They made a movie based on the story, too, and I really liked that as well.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I really like anything by Shveta Thakrar. She's a beautiful writer of lyrical/quirky Sci-Fi (yes that combo works), who also writes poetry.You can read quite a lot of her things online from Uncanny Magazine.