Ursula Le Guin Steering The Craft

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: "One Good Scene" workshop scheduled

Threaded View

"One Good Scene" workshop scheduled

I’m delighted to announce that my online workshop ONE GOOD SCENE is now open for registration.

A little background first, before I explain. I’m a novelist who's worked in publishing for most of my life. I started as an editor for Fawcett Books and later became a literary agent, running my own agency for many years. These days, apart from my own writing, I teach fiction writing, previously at Hofstra University and SUNY, but now in my own on-line school of writing. I’m honored that my Next Level courses are among the few Absolute Write has listed on their site; and I’m posting this invitation at the kind invitation of the Medievalist and MacAllister.

As a publishing pro and a writing teacher, I can’t count the number of first novels I’ve read. In many cases the plot is intriguing, but the writer’s skills are not yet where they need to be; consequently, the books don’t stand a chance of being published as written. It seemed to me an awful shame that these writers had undertaken to write a novel before learning to write a scene, the basic building block of all stories. Any writer who can write one good scene after another, choosing the appropriate ones to tell the story and ordering them for maximum effect, can produce a creditable story or novel…….but to do that, the writer must first learn to see and write scenes as discrete entities. Hence the course I’m currently offering, entitled ONE GOOD SCENE.

“One Good Scene” is a workshop for fiction writers at any level who want to solidify their skills and add to their writer’s toolbox. I’m so proud of this course and its utility to writers that I offer it with a money-back guarantee. Writers who enroll but decide that the course is not right for them can withdraw and receive a refund of the full tuition, less the registration fee, provided they do so within two weeks of the start date.

For more details on the workshop, including topics to be covered and tuition, please see the listing on my website. (Do take a moment to explore the website if you haven’t already. There’s useful information and good coffee in the Writers’ Lounge, a bio, a link to my blog, and feedback from writers who’ve taken my courses here.) ONE GOOD SCENE will consist of seven one-week sessions, including one week of orientation. The course is intensive and requires a significant commitment of time; but since it is on-line and asynchronous, the time can be at each participant’s convenience. There are weekly reading and writing assignments, peer critiques, and lots and lots of class discussion. Of course, all submissions will be critiqued by me as well.

The workshop will begin on February 4, 2016. I keep these classes small so I can focus on each participant’s work, and about half the spots have already gone to folks on my waiting list. But there are a few more openings and I would love to have some forum members join us. If you’re interested in applying or have questions, please give me a shout here or email me at next.level.workshop@gmail.com .

Thanks!

Barbara

P.S. I'm afraid I've posted this in the wrong spot--would one of the sysops be kind enough to move it to announcements, which is where I thought I was posting?
    Last edited by Barbara R.; 01-08-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Posting error