Hugo Awards 2016 [Nomination List at Post 77]

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Attending, Young Adult, Military or Supporting members of Sasquan may nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards.

As can people with equivalent memberships to MidAmeriCon II or WorldCon 75, provided the membership is purchased by 11:59 PST January 31, 2016 .

If you want to nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards and don't yet have a membership, you've got ~3 weeks to purchase one.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Reminder--You've got four days to purchase a membership if you want to nominate this year.

I was thinking Nominations would already have opened by now. I'm assuming Any Day Now. Cross your fingers.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Remind me how this works - I bought a membership for last year just so I could smack the puppy on the nose, does that mean I get to nominate this year or not?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you had a membership to Sasquan, YES you can nominate this year. Did you get an e-mail from MidAmeriCon 2 last week? I did. It was sort of a 'head's up' e-mail. It did not contain a PIN. I presume it would have been sent to the e-mail address you gave Sasquan.

Nominations ought to open Any Time Now and will close on March 31, 2016 (per the last progress report).

Please be aware that if you have a membership for Sasquan or WorldCon 75, and NOT MidAmeriCon 2, you won't be able to VOTE in the Hugos (though, again, you CAN nominate). You must have a membership for MidAmeriCon 2 itself in order to vote on the final ballot.

I hope every eligible person will nominate their favorite works.

(I am not a spokesperson for any WorldCon, just an interested and informed fan.)

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Thank you for the reminder. I for one, however, have never cared about the Hugos or any of the other award shows. Fun for a few, boring for most fans I suspect. They don't even have much economic significance from what I can tell. Goodreads is more useful to me for finding fun books to read. The Hugos, not.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the reminder. I for one, however, have never cared about the Hugos or any of the other award shows. Fun for a few, boring for most fans I suspect. They don't even have much economic significance from what I can tell. Goodreads is more useful to me for finding fun books to read. The Hugos, not.

For the authors who win or are even nominated for Hugos, they have tremendous value.

For one thing, it pretty much guarantees an additional print run.

Consider: Just about every public library will buy the books that are nominated for a Hugo, including the various anthologies containing novellas and shorts.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Laer, I know a lot of fans who care about Hugos & other awards, if not specifically than in the larger sense of seeing authors they like recognized. Whether or not you personally care, there's really no call to be dismissive about it, and weighing in on a thread just to say "I don't care about this" is not a good use of anyone's time.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
If you had a membership to Sasquan, YES you can nominate this year. Did you get an e-mail from MidAmeriCon 2 last week? I did. It was sort of a 'head's up' e-mail. It did not contain a PIN. I presume it would have been sent to the e-mail address you gave Sasquan.

Nominations ought to open Any Time Now and will close on March 31, 2016 (per the last progress report).

Great, thank you. I'll definitely be nominating then, not sure if I'll buy another membership this year or not yet. I have no chance of attending but if noses need to be smacked again this year I may well buy a supporting just to vote again.

And I love that Kameron Hurley quote, it's great how open she is about this sort of thing.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Well, well, well. Lookie there!

Hugo nominations are open.

Nomination page is here.

They emphasize that the PINs are being e-mailed out in batches and to please wait until Feb 5 before asking what your PIN is.

However, if you received the last MAC2 progress report, your PIN was printed on the envelope (or, at least mine was). You can nominate now if you wish, and if you remember where you put that envelope.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
One feature of nominating and voting online that I recently discovered is that you can update your ballot until midnight of the deadline, the last day in March. So if you come across a work you like better than what you entered, or want to add something to what you entered, you can edit your ballot to reflect your more complete knowledge. So you can feel free to participate early, since you're not stuck with your first attempt.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
One feature of nominating and voting online that I recently discovered is that you can update your ballot until midnight of the deadline, the last day in March. So if you come across a work you like better than what you entered, or want to add something to what you entered, you can edit your ballot to reflect your more complete knowledge. So you can feel free to participate early, since you're not stuck with your first attempt.

*cups hands under chin*

Tell me more.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I am alerted by Twitter that the cost of an Attending membership to WorldCon 75 in Helsinki next year goes up 25 Euro on February 1, 2016.

If you're planning to attend, and buy your membership by tomorrow, you can both nominate for the Hugo Awards this year AND save 25 Euro.

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Tell me more [about updating your nominations].

I searched through several web sites to find confirmation of the updating process. The only mention of it I could find is John Scalzi's blog. I presume his assertion is true, but I could find no official confirmation.

Here again is the link to the MidAmeriCon II Hugo nomination web page. Following it is the link to the Hugo organization site.

http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/
http://www.thehugoawards.org/

I've already combed both, but you may have better luck. I also sent an email to the MidAmeriCon award admin asking about this & will report back when I get an answer.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
So, if I bought membership last year, I should be able to nominate? Or just vote? I think I am having a reading fail because I keep getting confused.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I also sent an email to the MidAmeriCon award admin asking about this & will report back when I get an answer.

Um. Yes, the nomination page works the same this year as it did last year and the year before. You enter as many or as few nominations as you wish, click on the "Submit Ballot" button and that saves all the data currently on the form. If you change the data on the form and click "Submit Ballot" again, all the new data is saved. You can do this continuously right up until 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday March 31, 2016.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
So, if I bought membership last year, I should be able to nominate? Or just vote? I think I am having a reading fail because I keep getting confused.

If you were an Attending, Young Adult, Military or Supporting member of Sasquan in 2015 then you may nominate for the 2016 Hugo awards.

You won't be able to vote in the finals unless you are *also* a member of MidAmeriCon II. But you can Nominate. Nooooominate >stares into everyone's eyes< Noooooooominate your favorite stuff. Go to the window....

MAC2 is sending PINs to all eligible nominators between now and February 5th.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If you change the data on the form and click "Submit Ballot" again, all the new data is saved. You can do this continuously right up until 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday March 31, 2016.

This morning I received an email from Dave McCarty, the Hugo Administrator for MidAmeriCon II. He confirms that your understanding and that of John Scalzi is true. I was pretty sure of that, but it's good to have official confirmation.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Given that a bunch of us have already stated that we have actively done this in the past and present, I'm not sure why this needed "official confirmation".

Laer Carroll

Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Given that a bunch of us have already stated that we have actively done this in the past and present, I'm not sure why this needed "official confirmation".
Memories can fade or go wonky. Even if they don't what worked last year or the year before may not this year.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The hormones? Is it the hormones? It's the hormones, isn't it?

Well, yanno, female hysteria an' all that. I mean, I am clearly imagining my very large number of bookshelves filled with plenty of SF by women who aren't named Bujold and the fact that I've already saved my nomination ballot more than once this year. In fact maybe even this thread doesn't exist and is just a very very bad mental manifestation of cramps.

Probably we should all go lie down and see if it passes.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, seriously now.

This thread is about procedural things related to voting in the Hugos. It is not a thread about whether the Hugos are worthwhile, nor do we need an expert to verify every bit of information other people have already provided. If you spot a factual error or see a legitimate need for clarification, that's fine.

Add new info, links to resources, etc., or engage in relevant discussion with respect and as a peer, or you'll be asked to step out of the thread.