• Australia/New Zealand

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I was going to set my story in Scotland, but I realized I couldn't get the accents right and I had a much better grasp of southern culture because I've spent a few years in South Carolina (as opposed to a few glorious if cloudy months in Edinburgh). Currently set in small town SC with a few excursions into Atlanta, although down the line I'm planning on moving things to Charleston and possibly New Orleans.

As an added bonus, it means Waffle House can appear in my fantasy novel.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
After a two+ year hiatus, I'm finally getting back to Ruby Valley, Nevada, in the heydays of Fort Ruby and the brief history of the Overland Express. 1860s... and hopefully back to being around Absolute Write more regularly! :waves:

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
12th century England - my first attempt at writing anything historical!

SanStormin

In the ozone
Registered
Reaction score
Seventeenth Century France during the reign of Louis XIV. Set in Versailles, Paris and Rouen.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I have a story coming out later this year set in the time of Louis XIII which takes place in Paris, Chartres, and the road to Rennes - it's a tale of the Musketeers set just after the initial book.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
19th Century London and Oxfordshire (near "Henley-Upon-Bloody-Thames", as one of my characters so charmingly put it).

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
blacbird, sounds interesting. Are we talking '49er's? Something of that sort?

(I have a character in one WIP who spends a spell in Kansas during Bleeding Kansas--but I more or less skip over it and tell that part of the story through brief flashbacks. I know, I know. I skipped the excitement of Bleeding Kansas to bring him to the peaceful Sea Islands of Georgia. The point is, I've definitely thought about maybe going to that time and place with him for a short story or novella; something of a travel adventure.)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Ah, I'm also doing a short story series based on Z Special Group, set in the Pacific Theater of WWII. So far, we've visited the islands of Timor and Komodo in the Indonesian archipelago with short visits to the Northern Territories in Australia to rest/refit/train. Next story will be set on Java.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Ah, I'm also doing a short story series based on Z Special Group, set in the Pacific Theater of WWII. So far, we've visited the islands of Timor and Komodo in the Indonesian archipelago with short visits to the Northern Territories in Australia to rest/refit/train. Next story will be set on Java.

Sounds interesting! (It's Northern Territory -- just the one!)

cdecho

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing about a place that no longer exists -- the Kankakee Marshlands in Northwest Indiana. It used to be the Everglades of the North, but then the dredged the river and drained the marshes. Now it's just farmland. My MC moves from there to Greenwich Village New York.

cdecho

Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly 49ers, but a group made of a pair of itinerant con men and two fugitives, ultimately headed to California via wagon train. They do wind up in the gold country.

caw
Con men in the old west? Sounds like somebody's gonna get tarred and feathered and road outa town on a rail ;)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ancient Egypt, Middle Kindom, Khahheperre Senuseret
probably not quite going to hit its mark, considering that the OP hasn't discussed this in 5 plus years.... But I look forward to seeing your work as the time period sounds delightful.

Reactions: QG007