• Total voters

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So, I, uh, I find I am writing vampire fiction, and as such I am covering a number of time periods: 13th century Baghdad, Cairo between roughly 1450 and 1620, Kolkata in 1811, and Cairo again during the Second World War and immediately after.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP takes place in World War II and its aftermath, and I'm playing with ideas for a sequel spanning the postwar era to 1989. :) which may have an epilogue set in the 2000s.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
So, I, uh, I find I am writing vampire fiction, and as such I am covering a number of time periods: 13th century Baghdad, Cairo between roughly 1450 and 1620, Kolkata in 1811, and Cairo again during the Second World War and immediately after.

I dont know how far along you might be in your research, but if you want info on medieval Baghdad check out a book called Baghdad During the Abbasid Caliphate by Guy LeStrange. It's an older book but amazingly detailed in it's descriptions of medieval Baghdad. Of course the 13th century is also when it all pretty much ended for Baghdad, so if your story is set in the later part of the century a lot of this info might no longer apply.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I dont know how far along you might be in your research, but if you want info on medieval Baghdad check out a book called Baghdad During the Abbasid Caliphate by Guy LeStrange. It's an older book but amazingly detailed in it's descriptions of medieval Baghdad. Of course the 13th century is also when it all pretty much ended for Baghdad, so if your story is set in the later part of the century a lot of this info might no longer apply.

Thank you. Medieval Baghdad (pre-Hülagü Khan's siege and destruction) is a pretty cool-sounding place. And yeah, the destruction of Baghdad is a major event in the timeline of one of the characters.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
I have been writing in the early medieval (5th - 11th centuries) for a long time, but I'm branching out to the 16th century for my WIP. It's such a different experience! There are primary sources about daily life! I don't have to cull archaeological journals for everything! I can have characters communicate information via writing!

I can see that it must feel like there's a plethora of confirmed facts, if you've come that far forward through time! I know when I see articles on Historical Fiction that say "go and look at your church's parish records, or the newspapers of your chosen time-period" - ummm.......not that easy for the 15th century! (ok, there's the Paston Letters, but the Crowland Chronicle at times feels like the Daily Mail of the day!)

Edit: And....now I've realised I mis-read the date of your post and you wrote the above a couple of years ago.....oh well - I hope it went well!

Last edited:

Fantomas

Registered
Reaction score
I have been writing stories set in the interwar era (1920s & 1930s) but have a few other ideas that take place in the 1960s/1970s, 19th century, World War I, and the present day. I'm open to writing any time period but I prefer times and places where there's a popular culture and consumer goods such as telephones, radios, cars, etc. I find it easier to write than say, something set during the Middle Ages.

Sieglinde

Wälsung
Registered
Reaction score
Ancient Rome, Napoleonic era England / France, and Imperial Russia.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
Recently published a novel set between 1060 and 1066 culminating in Hastings (The Fighting Man). Mapping out a sequel but also contemplating two other stories from the early and late C14.