Votes: 31 24.4%
  • 20th century

Votes: 49 38.6%

• Total voters

albrock

Hopelessly Historical
Registered
Reaction score
My novel that's coming out in May is 20th century (1920s), and my WIP is 1950s. Still, I have a soft spot in my heart for the medieval and Tudor eras.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
My novella down yonder takes place in the 1790s. A short story I'm finishing up takes place in 1793. But the next novel idea is Victorian. I'd like to try something in Revolutionary Era America or WWI someday, though.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Mostly the 19th century: I have two novels and a novella set there. I also wrote a story set in Roman Britain, but that's permanently trunked, and a story in pre-Revolutionary France, now on the furthest of the back-burners but not abandoned yet. Currently, I'm writing in a dual 2015-1915 timeline. I don't think I could ever go further into the 20th century than that. WWI already feels strangely "modern" to me, since I'm more used to being further back. It's not a bad kind of strange, though. :)

Last edited:

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
WWII at the moment

I believe the next novel will be split between the early 80s and 1930s-40s

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I'm pretty consistently early 20th C, although I can imagine perhaps dipping into the 19th C sometimes in the future... I'd kind of like to explore some aspects of 19th C photography historically.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
My story starts in the Hellenistic period, ends with modern day, and jumps centuries in between. Still trying to decide among options, which include the Elizabethan era, late 1700s/early 1800s, early 1900s, and the 1920s.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have been writing in the early medieval (5th - 11th centuries) for a long time, but I'm branching out to the 16th century for my WIP. It's such a different experience! There are primary sources about daily life! I don't have to cull archaeological journals for everything! I can have characters communicate information via writing!

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Heh, the furthest back I go in the 19th century is the 1890s. But I do jump back to the English Civil War & Restoration Era and the Anarchy (Stephen vs Maud).

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
So, what time periods are we writing about?

I like how the votes show that closer to the present is better covered. I'm writing about the 1950s too. Or more exactly, the early 1950s, which kind of fall between what one thinks of as WWII-ish and what seems to be more 50s (drive-ins, TV, Rock and roll).

oscar54

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have novels based in 1645, London. 1735, middle of nowhere. !820, London. 1878, Sarah Desert.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Ancient Egypt, or to be more precise, 1194BC, the very start of Ramesses II's reign. Apparently no one is interested in this period at the moment... or so publishers tell me :(

furzepig

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is set in an alternate version of 1636 London . . . I prefer the Early Modern period, but sometimes have fantasies about moving back to the medieval period or ahead to the Victorians. There seems to be more research material about both!

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
WWII. I'm in the middle of a series on it. Recently I started to ask myself... what will I do next? Am I a historical fiction writer? A WWII writer? An eclectic writer?

Not quite sure yet.

Joanna Hoyt

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP starts in 1911, with the labor unrest in Massachusetts, and definitely goes on through the anti-German hysteria of WWI and the first Red Scare in 1919-20; I would like to extend it up through WWII but think I may exceed the acceptable length for a first novel rather before I get there.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my projects takes place during the First World War in France. I love that story. Just wish I could get it going again.

Hilary

Registered
Reaction score
Nineteen Twenties. First book set in 1925 and third (due out in May) in 1928. Between them, a contemporary with an Irish medieval twist.

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
I want to read all these historical novels you all are writing!

It's strange, I love reading pre-Renaissance historical fiction, but my current novel (and the one I've trunked) both take place in the 1900s. My current WIP takes place on a passenger ship on its way to Ellis Island; it's also dark fantasy/horror.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Can I say what eras I want to be writing about? I have some nascent ideas set in the antebellum South and the Ottoman Empire at it's peak (Suleiman). But I have to finish my WIP first. I don't usually consider it historical. It's set partly in Russia shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union. It is historical in the sense that it's loosely related to a major historical event, it's just not very old.

Still I joined the poll, since technically that was last century.