Militiamen occupy U.S. national parks building in Oregon

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Thread res.

Had no idea this was being looked into. Apparently, there was some question about bullet holes found in the truck after Finicum was shot. All of the rounds fired by Oregon State Police were accounted for, and none of them made the hole in truck. An FBI HRT agent has been charged with obstruction for lying about firing during that confrontation.

Investigators have said there was no question about the justification for OSP troopers firing at Finicum. But the FBI agent apparently fired as soon as Finicum got out of the truck before there was any real threat.

All of the troopers’ shots were deemed justifiable, “and, in fact, necessary,” Malheur County Dist. Atty. Dan Norris said last year after reviewing the shooting.

But investigators were concerned that they could not account for the shots apparently fired by an FBI agent that missed Finicum and left a bullet hole in the roof of his truck. In a video taken by one of the passengers inside Finicum’s truck, an apparent shot can be seen hitting the roof of the vehicle and striking a window a moment after Finicum left the truck and had his arms lifted in the air.

“Of particular concern to all of us is that the FBI operators did not disclose their shots to our investigators, nor did they disclose specific actions they took after the shooting,” Deschutes County Sheriff L. Shane Nelson said at a news conference in March, without specifying to which actions he was referring.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-fbi-oregon-shooting-20170628-story.html

The cynic in me will avoid any suggestion that FBI HRT agents are trigger-happy.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
It is unfortunate that some (one) of their agents felt ashamed or worried enough about their shots to try to hide it. As it says, there is no question on the justification.

These men spent weeks making threats against federal agents and were well-known to be armed, along with the fact that Finicum had made statements that he would not go to jail. That one of the arresting agents might have been nervous and twitchy on the trigger finger is completely understandable. I mean, just look at the lengths they had to go to just to safely corner and arrest these men.

Still, taking responsibility for your actions is something every agent of the FBI (or whichever agent it was, there was a few different organizations coordinating on this if memory serves) needs to stand up and do, and they need to face consequences for refusing to do so or trying to hide it.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
So umm, in a completely nothing-can-be-shocking-anymore twist.

An independent investigation has concluded that Washington state Rep. Matt Shea “participated in an act of domestic terrorism against the United States” by helping plan the armed takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon three years ago.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
WA is a "blue state" but only west of the Cascades. Shea is a lead proponent of seceding the eastern half into a 51st state, a "Christian" state called "Liberty." His legislative assistant warned: “It’s either going to be bloodshed or Liberty State.”

So, yeah, Shea's as far out there to the fringe right as one can possibly be.

Liberty, of course, liberty from the terrible tyranny of gov't, that's why everyone decides to run for office, isn't it? *we need an emoji where the eyeballs actually fall out of the head*

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So umm, in a completely nothing-can-be-shocking-anymore twist.

An independent investigation has concluded that Washington state Rep. Matt Shea “participated in an act of domestic terrorism against the United States” by helping plan the armed takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon three years ago.
Proof, though, that though the media stops caring, the wheels of investigation grind on, however long it takes. The System works... slowly.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
WA is a "blue state" but only west of the Cascades. Shea is a lead proponent of seceding the eastern half into a 51st state, a "Christian" state called "Liberty." His legislative assistant warned: “It’s either going to be bloodshed or Liberty State.”

So, yeah, Shea's as far out there to the fringe right as one can possibly be.

Sounds a bit like the "State of Jefferson" folks in far norther CA and southern OR. For some reason, they think they'd have better services and pay lower taxes without all the money for infrastructure and services that are channeled to rural areas from the wealthier, suburban districts. It seems that almost every large state where there's a significant urban/rural divide has a similar movement.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I read some of his "Biblical Basis for War" that was published in 2018. It's linked in the article. This is an excerpt:

Make an offer of Peace before declaring war.i. Not a negotiation or compromise of righteousness.
ii. Must surrender on terms of justice and righteousness:
1. Stop all abortions;
2. No same-sex marriage;
3. No idolatry or occultism;
4. No communism; and
5. Must obey Biblical law.
iii. If they yield – must pay share of work or taxes.
iv. If they do not yield – kill all males

He's a sick, violent theocrat, which is why despite that manifesto they kept him around.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Sounds a bit like the "State of Jefferson" folks in far norther CA and southern OR. For some reason, they think they'd have better services and pay lower taxes without all the money for infrastructure and services that are channeled to rural areas from the wealthier, suburban districts. It seems that almost every large state where there's a significant urban/rural divide has a similar movement.

Yeah, I've been aching for them to try it, especially after they effectively put a stop to all transportation-related projects (ie: light rail and bus rapid transit) by killing our localized motor vehicle taxes (that they don't even pay in E. Wa). See how you'll get your wheat to market, suckers, without paying through the nose for access to the ports and roads once we don't have them to restrict us from taxing the hell out of both. (I know, there's interstate commerce laws, but a girl can dream.)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I read some of his "Biblical Basis for War" that was published in 2018. It's linked in the article. This is an excerpt:

He's a sick, violent theocrat, which is why despite that manifesto they kept him around.

Yet another example of this type of person/philosophy being a feature, not a bug of the current GOP. For the life of me I don't understand why the Never Tmp Republicans don't start their own party.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yet another example of this type of person/philosophy being a feature, not a bug of the current GOP. For the life of me I don't understand why the Never Tmp Republicans don't start their own party.

Tangential, but my uneducated guess is that the two-party system here in America means that the idea of a brand-new political party carries connotations of all those third-party nothings that only ever seem to be fringe jobs.

Which, I further guess, is part of why both parties seem to struggle to find identities and goals, stretching themselves out of shape and wandering hither and yon in pursuit of identities to fit All The People, instead of spawning new parties when differences get too great; if it's not Democrat or Republican, at least in labeling, it's invisible to the average voter.

(Though I also contend that the Republican party stopped being the Republican party some time ago and is now wholly co-opted by its own fringe, which is why I refer to them as the TeaOP instead of the GOP.)

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
(Though I also contend that the Republican party stopped being the Republican party some time ago and is now wholly co-opted by its own fringe, which is why I refer to them as the TeaOP instead of the GOP.)

This is very true in our state. Except in the very wealthy Bellevue 'burbs and a couple of US Rep-incumbents from the largest two cities outside of Puget Sound (Vancouver & Spokane), "regular" republicans have all but disappeared from political life and we're left with the far fringe. Although "regular" is... Let's just say Cathy McMorris Rogers was set to headline an event where they were auctioning an AR-15 as a fundraiser, which she had no problem with until the media got ahold of the story.

Our State GOP can't even muster viable candidates in the blue/purple parts of the state, and the old GOP guard is sitting out there taking potshots at their own party. It's a hot mess. Not that I feel sorry for them. You reap what you sow.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This guy was in the news last year because he wanted to kill the infidels.

HuffPo 2018: GOP Lawmaker Shares Document Calling For ‘Holy Army’ To Kill Men Who Flout Biblical Law
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A Republican lawmaker in Washington state denied Friday that he is racist or a white nationalist for distributing a document describing how a “Holy Army” should kill people who flout biblical law.

State Rep. Matt Shea of Spokane Valley in conservative eastern Washington has been under fire since he acknowledged in a Facebook video last week that he had distributed the four-page document titled, “Biblical Basis for War” to some of his supporters.

I couldn't believe that wasn't enough to get him out of office. Spokane has it's share of white supremacists.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This guy was in the news last year because he wanted to kill the infidels.

HuffPo 2018: GOP Lawmaker Shares Document Calling For ‘Holy Army’ To Kill Men Who Flout Biblical Law

I couldn't believe that wasn't enough to get him out of office. Spokane has it's share of white supremacists.

This isn't just white supremacy - this is ISIS-worthy! All it needs is one more line, after 'kill all the men': 'enslave all the women'. Although it seems to be fairly racism-free - he'd be willing to kill anybody, as long as they don't bow the knee to his version of the Bible.